Sugar in Fruit

Options

Replies

• amandae0182
    Options
    The sugar n fruit has been my saving grace! I love ice cream LOVE it . Used to eat it everyday, now when i want it i eat a big heaping bowl of watermelon or cantelope. I figure yeah it has sugar in it but compared to a big heaping bowl of ice cream every day its way better and im satisfied!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    diabetes, hat eating and strawberries

This is fructose sweetened and yes I mean, High Fructose Corn Death

Consuming fructose-sweetened, not glucose-sweetened, beverages increases visceral adiposity and lipids and decreases insulin sensitivity in overweight/obese humans. Stanhope KL, Schwarz JM, Keim NL, et al. J Clin Invest. 2009 May;119(5):1322-34. - cited from an article on about.com

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19381015

...overweight and obese subjects consumed glucose- or fructose-sweetened beverages providing 25% of energy requirements for 10 weeks...

The study above basically suggests that if you're obese, you probably shouldn't drink a fast absorbing liquid source of sugar that represents 25% of your calorie intake. That's about a 200g dose of sugar in 1 shot. That's about 5-6 cans of coke, consumed all at once.

This pretty much has zero relevance to typical fruit consumption.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Thank you.
  • SparkleHorse224
    SparkleHorse224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar except...when it comes with it's friends Fiber, Vitamins, and Minerals. I track all my fruit consumption and I don't worry about the sugars since fruit sugar is pretty much the only source of sugar for me - I'm not eating sweets, don't eat bread, etc.
  • vtachycardia
    Options

Thank you.

It is the data result between fructose and glucose, are you saying that the test group is not relevant.

But you are right, not typical to eating fruit, but does demonstrate fructose.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Thank you.

It is the data result between fructose and glucose, are you saying that the test group is not relevant.

But you are right, not typical to eating fruit, but does demonstrate fructose.

It demonstrates a rather stupid amount of fructose in the form of a fast digesting liquid in an obese population. Taking that data and making blanket statements (not directing this comment at you) about fructose is inapplicable unless you're using that same context.

What we CAN take from this is that it's probably not a good idea to get 25% of your food intake in the form of cola within a short period of time. Luckily we don't need pubmed to tell us that.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar as far as the human body is concerned.

However, unless you have a metabolic disorder that requires you to limit sugar consumption, then sugar doesn't matter at all. As long as you stick to your calories, you won't eat too much sugar.

Most studies that show sugar having a negative effect on people require consumption levels of over 300 grams of sugar a day, which is not realistic at all. So I wouldn't worry about it.

But ... but ... I heard it will make you grow a third eye before your left arm falls off and it kills you from toxic shock. Im sure dr. Oz hates it!
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I partially agree with Tigersword, sugar is sugar and 1 gram of sugar is 1 gram of carbs, eat whatever you want as long as you hit your carb/fat/protein targets.

AND CALORIE TARGET....
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I partially agree with Tigersword, sugar is sugar and 1 gram of sugar is 1 gram of carbs, eat whatever you want as long as you hit your carb/fat/protein targets.

AND CALORIE TARGET....
    How could you hit your macro targets without hitting your calorie target? I mean sure it's a little off due to incorrect information and rounding errors, but basically...
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Consuming fructose-sweetened, not glucose-sweetened, beverages increases visceral adiposity and lipids and decreases insulin sensitivity in overweight/obese humans. Stanhope KL, Schwarz JM, Keim NL, et al. J Clin Invest. 2009 May;119(5):1322-34. - cited from an article on about.com

...overweight and obese subjects consumed glucose- or fructose-sweetened beverages providing 25% of energy requirements for 10 weeks...

The study above basically suggests that if you're obese, you probably shouldn't drink a fast absorbing liquid source of sugar that represents 25% of your calorie intake. That's about a 200g dose of sugar in 1 shot. That's about 5-6 cans of coke, consumed all at once.

This is offtopic.

A bit all over the place and untidy but I love that study, was an interesting read. Thanks for the link, vtach.

However, your numbers are off by far Sidesteal.

Based on the average female test subject (age 52, weight 84 kgs, bmi 29.4, body fat 43%) we're looking at around 1800~ cal on lightly active TDEE. %25 percent of that tdee in sugar is around 115 grams of fructose ~ 4 cups of orange juice. Fat gain on test subjects especially in males are surprisingly great (intraabdominal fat gain in men: +18.1% ± 5.1%, fat mass in men: +4.4% ± 0.8%). Excluding the beverages, they're on 55% complex carbs, 30% fat and 15% protein. Also it's worth noting that the females in the study are postmenopausal.

The study isn't about HFCS like vtach suggested either. The subjects were given their fructose (or glucose) dose in 3 servings with each meal. The beverage was fructose (or glucose) mixed in unsweetened Kool-Aid. 32 subjects, it's not too shabby considering how terribly hard it is to conduct any experiment on human subjects.
    Foods and beverages in the US are typically sweetened with sucrose (50% glucose and 50% fructose) or high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), which is usually 45%–58% glucose and 42%–55% fructose, rather than pure glucose or fructose. We have reported in a short-term study that the 23-hour postprandial TG profiles in male subjects consuming 25% energy as HFCS (55% fructose) or sucrose were elevated to a degree similar to that observed when pure fructose–sweetened beverages were consumed (19). Therefore, it is uncertain whether the adverse effects of sucrose and HFCS consumption are “diluted” by their lower fructose content relative to pure fructose. Additional studies are needed to compare the long-term effects of consuming HFCS and/or sucrose with 100% fructose.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

This is offtopic.

A bit all over the place and untidy but I love that study, was an interesting read. Thanks for the link, vtach.

Based on the average female test subject (age 52, weight 84 kgs, bmi 29.4, body fat 43%) we're looking at around 1800~ cal on lightly active TDEE. %25 percent of that tdee in sugar is around 115 grams of fructose ~ 4 cups of orange juice. Fat gain on test subjects especially in males are surprisingly great (intraabdominal fat gain in men: +18.1% ± 5.1%, fat mass in men: +4.4% ± 0.8%). Excluding the beverages, they're on 55% complex carbs, 30% fat and 15% protein. Also it's worth noting that the females in the study are postmenopausal.

The study isn't about HFCS like vtach suggested either. The subjects were given their fructose (or glucose) dose in 3 servings with each meal. The beverage was fructose (or glucose) mixed in unsweetened Kool-Aid. 32 subjects, it's not too shabby considering how terribly hard it is to conduct any experiment on human subjects.
    Foods and beverages in the US are typically sweetened with sucrose (50% glucose and 50% fructose) or high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), which is usually 45%–58% glucose and 42%–55% fructose, rather than pure glucose or fructose. We have reported in a short-term study that the 23-hour postprandial TG profiles in male subjects consuming 25% energy as HFCS (55% fructose) or sucrose were elevated to a degree similar to that observed when pure fructose–sweetened beverages were consumed (19). Therefore, it is uncertain whether the adverse effects of sucrose and HFCS consumption are “diluted” by their lower fructose content relative to pure fructose. Additional studies are needed to compare the long-term effects of consuming HFCS and/or sucrose with 100% fructose.
    If you actually read through all the supplemental data, you'd see that the average intake was actually 2412 kcal, ranging from 2200 to 2700, so it's between 140 and 170 grams of sugar. It's still an incredibly high amount of glucose or fructose, and incredibly unrealistic to typical consumption patterns.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    I eat loads more than 170g of carbohydrate,so is a gram of sugar not a gram of carbohydrates. Are fructose and glucose the same when it comes to diet?
  • xarge
    Options
    If you actually read through all the supplemental data, you'd see that the average intake was actually 2412 kcal, ranging from 2200 to 2700, so it's between 140 and 170 grams of sugar. It's still an incredibly high amount of glucose or fructose, and incredibly unrealistic to typical consumption patterns.

Told you, it's a very untidy article. Easy to miss when it's only presented on page 12 of a 15 page long supplemental data. I still don't think 140 or 170 grams are unrealistic as the current estimate of added sugars in average American diet is at 15.8%~ I think this is an underestimation. And 140 grams scenario is highly possible for most of the overweight people on this site in their former eating habits. I don't refer only to fructose of course like the research, but added sugars in general. As the paper confirms:
    However, recent reports (59–63) suggest that the sugar intake from beverages alone approaches or exceeds 15% of energy in adolescents and adults up to 40 years of age.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Edit: nvm.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

You're right, my numbers were off, but Tigersword posted a pretty close approximation below. I still don't believe the study is very relevant given the dosage levels, but beyond that I don't fault you for posting it, it's an interesting study -- I just don't see it as being applicable enough for anyone to pinpoint fructose as anything evil, or to avoid fruit consumption.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I sometimes go over my calories and protein but not by a ridiculous amount. It try to keep it around 1200 calories a day but I'm not a freak about it if I go 100 or 2 over I dont beat myself up about it

Thanks guys!

I think the bigger question isnt the fruit you are eating but you may want to reconsider your calories. With less than 20 lbs to lose you shouldnt aim for more than 1lb per week. Additionally, if youre exercising then your calorie requirements are greater.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

This is offtopic.

What kind of orange juice are you drinking with that amount of fructose?

According to the USDA database, 1 cup of OJ has 5.55 g of fructose and ~10g of sucrose. So around 10g of fructose per cup, which would be close to 11 cups not 4, unless you're drinking OJ spiked with with fructose

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2392?fg=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=&sort=&qlookup=&offset=&format=Full&new=
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with consuming sugar from fruit, or any other source for that matter.

Carbohydrates have the least physiological importance compared to fats and proteins, so they are often reduced to a greater extent during a calorie cut. It doesn't mean that they are bad if you can fit it into your nutrition goals.

Hit your macronutrient and calorie goals and you can spend those calories any way you please.
  • xarge
    Options
    What kind of orange juice are you drinking with that amount of fructose?

According to the USDA database, 1 cup of OJ has 5.55 g of fructose and ~10g of sucrose. So around 10g of fructose per cup, which would be close to 11 cups not 4, unless you're drinking OJ spiked with with fructose

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2392?fg=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=&sort=&qlookup=&offset=&format=Full&new=

Your OJ is a concentrate. Raw one in your agricultural library has 20.83 which is highly subject to the orange type and how many fruits are used to get one cup. Also the fact that a cup is 250ml whereas people usually drink in 'big glasses'. Either way, that wasn't the point. It's the fact that it's easy to see those numbers.

Guys, seriously, yes you're ripped and you're basically hunks but people don't live like you. Your average sugar intake is 25g, 30g? That's great for you. So yes, 200g is virtually impossible... For you and Sidesteal and Tigersword, not for people with bad eating habits.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    berries have less carbs, so i usually stick to strawberries and raspberries. yum.