Too much almond milk?

Options
Hey ya'll...

So since I started eating healthy and watching my intake, I've become literally addicted to regular, unsweetened almond milk. I probably have about 6-8 cups a day. I know what's in it, and I wouldn't imagine it'd be a negative thing, but I believe in everything in moderation and incorporating it into every meal like I have seems a little much...or is it?

Thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I love unsweetened almond milk, I use 4 cups a day for my protein shakes but I haven't seen any adverse effects. The nutritional content is minimal at 30-35 calories a cup, if you're worried I'd check the ingredients for artificial additives and see if studies have shown any adverse effects from those.
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm thinking too. Just looking to be reaffirmed, I guess. You seem to be in fantastic shape, so I'll take your word for it! I've taken to drinking about 12/14oz's as mid-afternoon snack. When I started doing that is when I thought maybe it was getting to be too much, but I'm sure it's fine :tongue:
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You seem to be in fantastic shape

Thanks! you look to be in great shape as well.

I kill a half gallon in about 3 days, I just wish it was cheaper! lol
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I love it too! I usually have 3-5 servings a day. I'm not aware of any adverse effects, but am interested to hear from others.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    This only thing I have seen is that you may not absorb nutrients as well from almond milk. But that isn't an issue if you are drinking a lot of it. :laugh:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/371956-the-good-bad-of-almond-milk/
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    I usually have 3 to 5 cups a day, been doing it for about 4 months. The only adverse effect is that my spouse yells at me for buying it because its not cheap. She hates it and says moo juice is better for you...

Le sigh....
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Well, I'd venture to say that 6-8 cups of anything besides water is a lot. If you regularly consume a huge amount of something, you want to make sure your macronutrients are still where you want them to be. If it's just regular unsweetened almond milk, I doubt it will have much of an impact. But I'm surprised you don't have horrible diarrhea...
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It enhances your boobies. Now you and your bf are the perfect couple!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'd be concerned about is the amount of calcium you are getting. I know you can't overdo calcium from FOOD, but the calcium in almond milk is added...so I'm thinking it's sort of like taking a calcium supplement...which too much can, I believe, cause an increased risk of kidney stones and minor heart problems. But maybe this is over a LONG period of time...not sure. :)
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I love unsweetened almond milk, I use 4 cups a day for my protein shakes but I haven't seen any adverse effects. The nutritional content is minimal at 30-35 calories a cup, if you're worried I'd check the ingredients for artificial additives and see if studies have shown any adverse effects from those.

Ok One...yes I agree with this. If it fits your macros, then I wouldn't worry too much but do a little research on the ingredients.

Two...sir quoted above is cute.

Carry on.
  • My_Own_Hero
    Options
    I love almond milk too! I drink Silk Unsweetened Vanilla almond milk and I think it's great; the only issue I have is that it has 150 mg of sodium per cup. This means that 8 cups would have 1,200 mg of sodium, which seems like a lot sodium for just a drink.
  • MurphysLawTD
    Options
    Yup, no adverse affects so far other than weight loss!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk too! I drink Silk Unsweetened Vanilla almond milk and I think it's great; the only issue I have is that it has 150 mg of sodium per cup. This means that 8 cups would have 1,200 mg of sodium, which seems like a lot sodium for just a drink.

Was just about to post this, almost verbatim. Literally. For what it's worth, skim milk is almost as high (127mg per 8 ounce serving, 2% and whole milk hover around 100mg per serving, but 4-5x the calories).
  • swkittrell
    Options
    I do not like or drink regular milk. Does almond milk taste like regular milk? I am concerned that I am not getting enough calcium. Any suggestions would be appricitated.
  • MurphysLawTD
    Options
    I do not like or drink regular milk. Does almond milk taste like regular milk? I am concerned that I am not getting enough calcium. Any suggestions would be appricitated.

Not at all! It tastes like...almonds! There are a few different kinds I find the best to be regular unsweetened. Be careful not to get the vanilla one. I use it in everything but coffee. I'm the light and sweet type, and it doesn't make it light enough so I still go to half and half for that. Otherwise, it's fantastic.
  • MurphysLawTD
    Options

Not at all! It tastes like...almonds! There are a few different kinds I find the best to be regular unsweetened. Be careful not to get the vanilla one. I use it in everything but coffee. I'm the light and sweet type, and it doesn't make it light enough so I still go to half and half for that. Otherwise, it's fantastic.

Almond Breeze also makes an unsweetened almond/coconut blend that's really good if you like coconut.
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It enhances your boobies. Now you and your bf are the perfect couple!!!! :flowerforyou:

I thought that was soy milk....
  • MurphysLawTD
    Options

I don't think it's ANY milk. Otherwise, I'd have been drinking it for years, now!!
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

I don't think it's ANY milk. Otherwise, I'd have been drinking it for years, now!!

Rumor with soy products is that it raises estrogen. There are topics on google about it.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Rumor with soy products is that it raises estrogen. There are topics on google about it.

There was an article in Men's Health about Soy Milk and plant estrogen causing men to grow boobies. But the guy in the article was drinking 2-3 gallons of soy milk a week! He was lactose intolerant so on top of the soy milk he was also consuming a ton of other soy products. Moral of the story, everything in moderation, even the "healthy" stuff.