dried Pinto beans, what on earth can I do with these?

Options
I was given a packet of tesco pinto beans and do not have a clue what to do with these wee rock hard bulletts lol. Please give me some help/ideas. The packet just has cooking instructions (so laborious)but no ideas for meals/ snacks.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Cook them according to directions. Once cooked, you can freeze them into portion sizes (1 cup portions, maybe?). After they are cooked, you can mash them up with salt, pepper, cooked onions, sauteed chile pepper for refried beans. Use them like you would any cooked beans in salads, tacos, etc. Season them with herbs as a high fiber side dish. Use them with a load of veg in a quesadilla.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    lol.. yea cooking and preparing is a pain... i finally just order edens organic no salt from amazon.com....

but i make (taco meat) with them...

add if you want meat one lb lean ground turkey, onions, garlic, cumin and one packet of low sodium taco seasoning lowest you can find.
    cook all that and puree the pintos and then mix those in well... looks just like taco hell... my kids will eat it breakfast lunch and dinner if i'd let them. use it for dips or mix with other crap for 7 layer dip etc.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Put them in an empty vitamin pill bottle and make maracas for your amateur band.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you rinse them well in cold water, you don't have to soak the beans at all. But you will need to increase the cooking time slightly. Dried beans do well in a crock pot.

Once cooked they are wonderful with cornbread and chopped onion. Or you can mix them with brown rice or other whole grain for an entree. Or make bean burritos, tacos, enchiladas, etc. Add spices and puree for a tasty bean dip.

In the last hour of cooking add other chopped vegetables for a tasty soup.
  • donna_do_good
    Options
    Oh some good ideas there.

Can I cook the whole packet then and freeze them, what would the process be to defrosting them? ie how long for, how long would they keep for, once cooked and frozen
  • donna_do_good
    Options
    Put them in an empty vitamin pill bottle and make maracas for your amateur band.

That made me laugh
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Cook them according to directions. Once cooked, you can freeze them into portion sizes (1 cup portions, maybe?). After they are cooked, you can mash them up with salt, pepper, cooked onions, sauteed chile pepper for refried beans. Use them like you would any cooked beans in salads, tacos, etc. Season them with herbs as a high fiber side dish. Use them with a load of veg in a quesadilla.
    Like this on top of brown rice. Yummy, filling and plenty of protein.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great ideas everyone!
  • donna_do_good
    Options

The refried beans sound gorgeous. Thanks
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Once you've cooked them you can do all sorts with them - put them in salads, put them in enchiladas, put them in chili con carne. They're a source of protein like meat.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I make chili, refried beans, bean salad, even bean tacos....
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    :smile: Soak them overnight in beer, then rinse and boil in water for an hour the next day. I don't know how healthy it is but it sure is tasty :smile:
  • donna_do_good
    Options
    lol.. yea cooking and preparing is a pain... i finally just order edens organic no salt from amazon.com....

but i make (taco meat) with them...

add if you want meat one lb lean ground turkey, onions, garlic, cumin and one packet of low sodium taco seasoning lowest you can find.
    cook all that and puree the pintos and then mix those in well... looks just like taco hell... my kids will eat it breakfast lunch and dinner if i'd let them. use it for dips or mix with other crap for 7 layer dip etc.

Your taco one sounds yummy, thanks
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    My husband does this not me, but he says if you soak them overnight in some water then the next day you can make some pretty good homeade chili or ham and beans with them. Anyway I think soaking them is the easy, no worries trick.
  • donna_do_good
    Options
    If you rinse them well in cold water, you don't have to soak the beans at all. But you will need to increase the cooking time slightly. Dried beans do well in a crock pot.

Once cooked they are wonderful with cornbread and chopped onion. Or you can mix them with brown rice or other whole grain for an entree. Or make bean burritos, tacos, enchiladas, etc. Add spices and puree for a tasty bean dip.

How long would you need to cook them if theyre not soaked, I seen you can't put them straight in the crock pot. What process did you use, i've a bag of 500g here just
  • ninehours
    ninehours Posts: 41 Member
    Options
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Make Beans and Rice. Cook as the instructions say. (I always soak and rinse, then use fresh water to cook. This reduces some of the gas!) Add some sort of spicy or smoked lowfat sausage links, cut up in slices. (Like Hillshire farms, or there are some good turkey ones out there. Also some of the Warehouse clubs have different varieties. Just check the fat and calories, but remember that you will likely not eat a whole serving in one bowl of beans!) I also add a can of tomatoes after the beans have cooked, and some cajun spices. Sometimes I use the tomatoes and chiles (like Rotel tomatoes) if I want it extra spicy. Serve over rice (preferable brown rice). The family loves it, and it will cook in the crock pot for make-ahead meals!
  • donna_do_good
    Options

That sounds nice, but the pic looks a bit minging lol.

It doesn't say about soaking or cooking the beans for 8hs, I wonder do they have to be cooked first?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

How long would you need to cook them if theyre not soaked, I seen you can't put them straight in the crock pot. What process did you use, i've a bag of 500g here just

Add maybe 45 - 60 min to the cooking time. I usually just go by texture more than the clock. If doing them in the crockpot and I haven't soaked them overnight, I rinse them well put in the crockpot with seasonings, cover with amount of water in directions on high for about an hour, then drop the temp to medium and let them go all day. If it's a work day and I'm short on time, I'll put them in the crockpot on medium but cover with boiling water to get them started. Beans take a long time to cook but they need very little care while they are cooking.