How soon is too soon?

Options

Replies

• LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Never.....Until they do, and you feel the same way.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Those words entered my husband's and my relationship about 2 months in. We were having a ball drinking rum boogies and hanging out with his family. We rolled in the snow on the way back to where we were staying. If rolling in the snow together isn't love, I don't know what is! LOL Been together almost 4 years, married for about 1.5 of them. I wouldn't say we rushed anything. It is possible to know that you love someone that early on. What bothers me is when people try to apply arbitrary and ridiculous time tables to love. Love doesn't follow a schedule, so don't try to make it. :heart:
  • legs_n_bacon
    legs_n_bacon Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I think, maybe, everyone is different, what is right for them may not be right for you? I don't know...
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    After talking on the phone for three weeks before we decided to meet, my husband said he knew he was going to marry me. Three weeks after we met he told me he loved me. We married a year later. I am 39 years old and WAY too mature for stupid, cutesy, over emotional type of love. And I did it anyway.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    My husband and I fell in love before he ever worked up the courage to ask me out. 4 years and one child later, we love each other more and more each day.

Don't hate on your friend just because it takes you longer to love.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Did you love your daughter the moment you laid eyes on her or did it take 6 months?

Six months & then only in certain light Bwahaha.

Russ
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Who cares if they're using the "L" word. How does it effect your life?

Every one is different. Some people say it immediately. Some people it takes months or even years to say it. Just because one couple decides that they're in love within three weeks of meeting (hell people get married within weeks of meeting each other!) doesn't mean they're "throwing the word around" and that it has "no meaning".

Chill out and be happy for them. They aren't causing you or anyone else any harm by saying they love each other so why get your panties in a bunch over it? It has nothing to do with you.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Did you love your daughter the moment you laid eyes on her or did it take 6 months?

I think that's different. Parental love and romantic love are not the same thing.

To answer your question, my bf said it after 2 months. I thought it was the right time. Different strokes for different folks though. :)
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I think that those are feelings that take awhile to develop. I've been with my boyfriend (officially) for only a few weeks. But we've been seeing one another for a couple of months. He told me that he loves me, and I didn't say it back.

I don't know. I think that initially when you're in the honeymoon phase, there are strong feelings but they aren't necessarily 'love'.

Love stays. Infatuation is superficial.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Love is a very intense emotion. It occurs at different levels. The problem is that "I love you!" is a term that is implied for all types of love. I have said "I love you" to my ex-husband (when we were married), my parents, my children, my boyfriends, my friends, people I work with, teachers I had in high school, people I went to church with... yada yada yada!

Romantic love also has different levels at different times. Just because they said it early doesn't mean that they aren't in love and it doesn't mean that it is forever. I think people have to understand these things when they say that to someone.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I told my wife I loved her on our second date. I proposed on the third. We're going to Vegas on Friday to celebrate our 20th Anniversary.

I wish I had told her on my first date and married her on my second. I'm still very much in love with her.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I told my wife I loved her on our second date. I proposed on the third. We're going to Vegas on Friday to celebrate our 20th Anniversary.

I wish I had told her on my first date and married her on my second. I'm still very much in love with her.
    ^^This man has won at life.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Let your friend love the way she wants and feels. If it crashes and burns - just be there for her. Don't say I told you so. Why would you want to put a time frame, rules or limitations on such an amazing feeling. It would hurt the same rather she said the actual words or not anyways
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    28 days... 6 hours... 42 minutes... 12 seconds.........\m/
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options

Every one is different. Some people say it immediately. Some people it takes months or even years to say it. Just because one couple decides that they're in love within three weeks of meeting (hell people get married within weeks of meeting each other!) doesn't mean they're "throwing the word around" and that it has "no meaning".

Chill out and be happy for them. They aren't causing you or anyone else any harm by saying they love each other so why get your panties in a bunch over it? It has nothing to do with you.

I was just wondering. She likes to throw around the word. And this guy has kids and etc. By all mean's I'm happy for her. I hope this works out. But I just think she should think about it a little more if the time comes again.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I was just wondering. She likes to throw around the word. And this guy has kids and etc. By all mean's I'm happy for her. I hope this works out. But I just think she should think about it a little more if the time comes again.

Honestly, I've tried holding back when I've felt it, and it never works out. I always end up saying it without thinking.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    The last man I loved, it took me about a week to figure out I was in love with him. I specifically remember him asking me "Do you want us to be lovers?" I said yes and that was it. *sigh*

I still kinda miss him to this day.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options

That's one of the sweetest things I've ever heard!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options

Awww, that's so sweet. You're a good fella. :)
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    It is different for everyone.

For my first boyfriend, it was 9 months into our relationship. I did love him at the time. It was both of our first relationships and we were together for 3 years.
    For my boyfriend, it was 7 months into our relationship. Well, it was more a "friends with benefits" kind of thing for the first couple of months. But we moved in with each other two years into our relationship (a few months ago) and I have to say I couldn't be happier. :)