has anyone tried the shirataki miracle noodle before?

Options
aswinter
aswinter Posts: 13 Member
I found the Shirataki Miracle Noodles through a pilates blog site (Blogilates, super fun if anyone is interested!) and she gushed about how awesome the Miracle Noodles are because there are no carbs, no calories, and it is made of naturally water soluble fiber...anyways! I was wondering if anyone has ever tried/used them before in life, heard of it, thinks they're a good substitute maybe for pasta, etc etc

Replies

• shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Yum - delicious. I use them in stir fry. Tofu (marinated in soya sauce overnight), bean sprouts, soya sauce, and lots and lots of veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, bok choy ... and whatever else is in the fridge).
    I used this recipe: http://blogilates.com/tag/shirataki-pad-thai and I
    - switched up the chicken for tofu
    - just used regular shirataki noodles
    - didn't add the hot sauce into the sauce
    - used lemon juice instead of lime juice
    and it was pretty good :)
  • abwetzler
    abwetzler Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love them. I just toss in veggie stir fry. They are delicious. Just beware of the fishy smell. You have to rinse them very well.
  • Kelleigh710
    Kelleigh710 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love them. I just toss in veggie stir fry. They are delicious. Just beware of the fishy smell. You have to rinse them very well.

Very true! After I rinse them, I leave them in the strainer, and press down hard with a bowl to get any additional water out of them :smile:
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I will most definitely try them and good tip on the smell :O that would have freaked me out. LOL
  • Kelleigh710
    Kelleigh710 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Here is how I make mine. Stir fried with Kikoman low sodium teryaki sauce, broccoli slaw (raw) and chicken.

IMG_20120725_151418.jpg
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I tried them just the once, then ordered 20 packets over the Internet. You can work out from that how I found them!

It means for me that while the rest of the family has egg noodles, I can chow down with a similar sized bowl with the yam noodles. And anyway, I prefer them to egg or rice noodles. Only downside is they more expensive, but they last for ages and if you order them bulk it works out not quite as bad, price-wise.
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I tried them just the once, then ordered 20 packets over the Internet. You can work out from that how I found them!

It means for me that while the rest of the family has egg noodles, I can chow down with a similar sized bowl with the yam noodles. And anyway, I prefer them to egg or rice noodles. Only downside is they more expensive, but they last for ages and if you order them bulk it works out not quite as bad, price-wise.

Where did you order them from?
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to order this, I couldn't find any in my grocery stores.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I did NOT like them at all lol!
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Ewwwww! GROSS! Blech! Ick!

Tried 'em.

They're freaky.
    Freaky texture.
    Freaky smell (no matter how well you rinse 'em, the smell doesn't get out of your nose).
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    If all of you loved them so much, maybe I did something wrong? Just couldnt get past the texture, they were like slimy rubber bands!
  • 4myhealth77
    4myhealth77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I love them and now have my picky fiance eating them as well. We dry fry them and stir fry them. Just like noodles in my opinion.
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    they are good...yet i find myself never really buying them...guess u could say i am suspicious of them:
    -how are they made? how processed must those noodles be to have no cals, no carbs???
    -if they are vegan, why do they smell of fish?

they are tasty and useful, but seem too good to be true>>>
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I did NOT like them at all lol!

You and me both!!! Nasty:tongue:
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Where did you order them from?
    You can order on Amazon.....
  • kashmirdreamer
    kashmirdreamer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I made the Hungry Girl fettuccine and mac n' cheese with two types of them and hated both. I tried to drain and towel them off but it was very hard to get them dry. Even still, they tasted really rubbery and plasticy. I was very disappointed because the sauces were delicious and if the pasta wasn't so "chewy/squeaky" it would have been fine. It was such a hard taste to describe, like chewing rubber or raw octopus. If you swallow them without chewing, they were fine but that was just so I wouldn't have to toss them. :(

I can buy them at most grocery stores near me (in the veggie section) or Whole Foods. I might try them again in a stirfry to dry them out more. I've heard people describe them as tough like wheat pasta but it wasn't like that for me at all.
  • mhouston2011
    Options
    Thank you for asking this!! I've been wanting to try them...I always see them on the Hungry Girl episodes, she seems to swear by them. She always makes a point to repeat over and over to rinse them repeatedly and make sure they are dry. Glad to hear everyone's opinions on them. I am a little suspicious myself, especially because smells tend to freak me out at times when it comes to trying new things. I think I'll make my finace wash these for me so that I never get the smell..lol.
  • armadillolabrat
    armadillolabrat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Definitely not a fan of them. Even tried to dry fry them as touted on the site but still could not give over the texture.
  • auburnblue
    auburnblue Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them but I read another post that said you should rinse them well and then dry saute them to dry them out more.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I had the tofu variety for lunch today.
    I much prefer those.

Today I: rinsed
    boiled with broth
    strained
    mixed in some pesto.
    added parmesan

YUM

(and no freaky texture)