What is the best exercise to lose this fat?

Options

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Use your common sense with diet....does it come in a box and have ingredients you cant pronounce....dont eat it. Eat fruit, veg, eggs, nuts, meat, fish, and if you want, dairy, wholegrains/rice, beans, etc. Avoid sugar and white starchy crap. Eat foods which are as close to their natural state as possible.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    You do not HAVE to eat clean\avoid sugar\avoid processed food to lose weight. It is however hard to feel full enough all the time and stay at a deficit while eating tons of calorie dense foods and wasting calories on non solids like condiments, drinks, etc. Also you can eat processed food, but most of them are carbs which is the least essentials macronutrient and hence is usually the first to get cut down. ALl that being the case I would say no more than 10% "dirty" on a cut and no more than 20% on a bulk. Unless you are a skinny *kitten* teenager who needs 4k+ cals to gain weight.
  • shbmommy110
    Options
    All i am doing is running/walking in the morning 5-7 days a week and as many crunches as i can, around 70 for right now, but i wonder what else i should be doing, i am not really seeing any results, i am already on day 4 of doing this, but this is my first day on this site. Any suggestions???

I am 5'5 and 171, trying to get back down to my pre pregnancy weight of 124!

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Help your body, stop doing crunches and do Jumping Jacks, Mountain Climbers, Prisoner Squats, any lunges - doing 5 minutes of these is worth far more than doing supine crunches.

^^^^ great advice on skipping the crunches as they are just an isolated movement and will burn less calories than the exercised listed above! Also walking in the A.M. is awesome, but i have a few questions... 1) How long are those cardio sessions? 2) Are you doing the walking/running before you have breakfast? My advice is to wake up, have a glass of water to get the body going. Then do your walking/jogging for about 30-45min on an empty stomach to use your fat stores as energy. Eat breakfast right after your walk/jog, you must eat an hour upon waking up! And for food wise, just keep it clean and simple and use the food diary available to you on the site so you know how much your eating and the nutrients consumed... good luck!!!

I do run/walk first thing, but I usually skip breakfast, which i wont be doing anymore. And i usually walk/run for about 30 mins, 2 laps around my neighborhood which is like 1 1/2 miles a think. i am gonna try to add one more lap tomorrow, plus try some exercises listed on here.
  • shbmommy110
    Options
    What I have been doing was counting calories of course. I do cardio, strength training, and dancing. If you are unable to purchase gym membership, I first started working out at home. I went walking at least 45 minutes a day. I then would come home after work and do some Jillean Michaels 30 Day Shred, Tae Bo, Insanity, Kendall Hogan, or other random YouTube videos that were helpful. After awhile, you have to change up your routine because your body will get used to it. Now that I have found a free gym on campus, I attend the aerobics and zumba classes and I ride the stationary bike. Try taking some music, watching tv, or talking because if you are working out, time will just go by so quickly. I try to make sure that my net is a negative number which is good because it shows that I am burning more calories than taking in. I drink only water and may occassionally make a smoothie. You have to eat, but eat healthy. Try to eat at least 1200 cals or more daily, but also don't try to force yourself to eat if you are not hungry. I try to avoid eating fast food (although I may have to go there because of the company, but I choose things that I feel is healthy). I can get a sandwhich, but I choose to not have cheese and mayo and instead pile up the veggies. I was amazed at all of the things I could snack or cook that were so healthy. Not only do you need to look at calories, but you should also look at the sodium and sugar levels. Although you may see low cal food items in the store, doesn't mean that it is healthy. MFP is a great motivator and making sure you have friends online can allow you to get tips on exercise, food choices, and positivity. I do not look at this as a diet, but moreso a new healthy lifestyle because a diet ends. And after meeting my weight goal, I want to maintain it and not go back to my old habits. There will be sometimes you go over your personal calorie limit, but don't give up. Just keep trying.

Awesome advice, thank you!!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    give it time... u didnt put the weight on in 4 days, it's not gonna just come off in 4 days
  • 118R3volution
    Options
    Train smarter not harder....

-Set goals... LONG TERM and SHORT TERM (every 2 weeks + a goal 12 months from now)
    -Train hard & stay dedicated
    -Enjoy your workouts
    -Follow your nutrition plan

FAT LOSS 101 -
    Your heart rate influences what your body breaks down for energy to sustain activity. If your heart rate goes too high for too long, your body might use muscle instead of fat for energy. When your heart rate is sustained at a lower rate, you body is able to break down fat fast enough to provide the energy to sustain your exercise activity. The heart rate level at which the fat/muscle switch flips is dependent on a person's level of aerobic shape, but most agree that 65% of your maximum BPM is the trigger point. If you want burn fat, drop your BPM to 65% or lower and sustain that activity for 45 minutes to one hour, 3 times per week.

65% BPM is different for every age group, mine for instance (being 22 years old) is approximately 129 BPM. Do not rush fat loss, just focus on becoming healthy, and changing your lifestyle all together. Pair this Low intensity fat burning cardio with some HIIT (google it) and some heavy resistance training, you will be shedding body fat and building strength/definition in your muscles.
  • 118R3volution
    Options

I do run/walk first thing, but I usually skip breakfast, which i wont be doing anymore. And i usually walk/run for about 30 mins, 2 laps around my neighborhood which is like 1 1/2 miles a think. i am gonna try to add one more lap tomorrow, plus try some exercises listed on here.

Probably the worst thing you can do for your body also. You "MUST" eat a stable breakfast with protein.

Eat things like egg whites, organic oatmeal, spinach, organic brown rice cakes an apple, and almond milk.

This will boost your metabolism, fire your energy levels, and set a SOLID foundation for your day.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

Probably the worst thing you can do for your body also. You "MUST" eat a stable breakfast with protein.

Eat things like egg whites, organic oatmeal, spinach, organic brown rice cakes an apple, and almond milk.

This will boost your metabolism, fire your energy levels, and set a SOLID foundation for your day.

Not true. Ask any IFer.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Everyone must eventually break their fast, lest they die. But the time of day in which you choose to break your fast is irrelevant.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    heavy weights and HIIT~

the rest is in the kitchen...
  • kzcortes
    kzcortes Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I found that hiking in hills or swimming helps to slim down.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a copy of "The New Rules of Lifting For Women". This will give you lots of info on both diet and exercise. Then join a gym and follow the plan. You will love yourself for it!

Ditto this. You increase your metabolism, and burn more fat by lifting weights, and preserving or building muscle. I started it in April, and it is fantastic!
  • 118R3volution
    Options

Everyone must eventually break their fast, lest they die. But the time of day in which you choose to break your fast is irrelevant.

I never specified at what time you have to eat your breakfast!!! To provide your body with adequate energy, and motivate yourself to eat well during the day a solid foundation within an hour or two of waking up is absolutely ideal. You will be less likely to over eat at lunch, and less likely to snack late at night. I understand everyone is different, and that is fine, but after 8 hours of rest, fueling your body for the days activity is obviously very important.
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Best exercise to lose fat? Here's one. You take a jump rope and tie your hands. Now you don't eat for about 12 hours ;-)

Yeah, diet trumps exercise. Exercise makes me feel good, improves flexibility, strength, etc., and makes me aware of my body, but it ain't that great for fat loss compared to diet.
  • veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Diet is number 1, but cardio is the ultimate fat burner because it burns the most calories. You can probably lose 1-2 pounds per week because of diet and about 1 pound per week because of exercise. Of course, if you exercise more you'll burn more and lose more. Get your diet straightened out first, then get your heart pumping. Strength is good for building lean muscle.
  • gwgrymes
    Options
    Stick with what you're doing, but be careful not to burn out and quit. It will come off!:smile:
  • isis2triple0
    isis2triple0 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Any kind of cardio that involves weights at the same time and big compound movements (think squats with a shoulder press, side lunge with a triceps kickback, then doing some heart pumping plyometrics)!! Just put yourself in a big puddle of your own sweat at least five days a week eat as clean as possible and watch that fat melt baby!!

Let me say that again: Eat clean (with occasional treats) Eat clean, Eat clean!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I never specified at what time you have to eat your breakfast!!! To provide your body with adequate energy, and motivate yourself to eat well during the day a solid foundation within an hour or two of waking up is absolutely ideal. You will be less likely to over eat at lunch, and less likely to snack late at night. I understand everyone is different, and that is fine, but after 8 hours of rest, fueling your body for the days activity is obviously very important.

Well breakfast is always my lowest calorie meal. It hasn't hampered my progress any because my body is used to it. I used to eat a cinnamon roll with butter every morning. Now I eat a protein bar and maybe a banana or some nuts.

Everyone is different.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Best exercise to lose fat? Here's one. You take a jump rope and tie your hands. Now you don't eat for about 12 hours ;-)

Yeah, diet trumps exercise. Exercise makes me feel good, improves flexibility, strength, etc., and makes me aware of my body, but it ain't that great for fat loss compared to diet.

That is hilarious, but not the best advice. Eat healthy, then use the jump rope for what it was intended! :laugh:
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    The best exercise for losing fat is... the one you enjoy and will continue doing for the rest of your life!

You can be told to do jumping jacks or lifting weights or running or whatever, but if you don't enjoy what you are doing, then you will most likely give up which is no use to man nor beast.

Yes, there are certain exercises that are better for toning and core strength, but if you like walking then keep on walking.

There are three secrets to successful, sustainable weightloss:

#1 - Eat fewer calories than you burn

#2 - Do some kind of Exercise - regularly

#3 - Enjoy Life!
    Exactly. The best exercise is the one you will do.