Advice needed from long distance runners...

Options
Hey to all those long distance runners out there. I ran TC marathon early this month and I have been struggling getting back up to speed with my running. I am following a five week recovery schdule and it says I should be able to do a race (like a half or 5k) in a week. When I ran today, I could hardly run 3 miles so I cant imagine trying to do a race! I am just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and what they did to get their running back on track?

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I ran a marathon in may and I took about 2 weeks off of running and a week and a half off of exercise all together. A marathon puts a major toll on your body, your immune system pretty much shuts down for a couple days (I got really sick after actually) I think you should just listen to your body and don't push it too much, do some cross training to keep your fitness level up and start running again when you feel good about it!... oh and great job :happy: Oh and for me to get back on track I switched to cycling for awhile and now I'm running again... hope it helped!

~Leash :heart:
  • atsipootes
    Options
    Always take it easy and listen to your body :)
    Now run slowly, no rush. Give time to your body to get used to running again:)
    I always run first week 4 times very very slowly.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Interesting question.
    I did a half marathon 2 weeks ago and I haven't run since to allow my body a chance to recover.
    I also took 3 days off from exercising before getting back to working out 3-4 times a week. I plan to start running again this weekend but short distances (5-8kms). I didn't realize there was a recover program to follow after doing a race. If I don't plan to run regularly again until the spring would there have been a benefit to doing the recover program?
  • blum0133
    Options
    i dont think you would have to do a recover plan if you dont plan on running for a while. Thanks for all the help everyone! I think my recovery plan was a little too intense. It has me running 4 days a week (only 3-5 miles) then cross training and one long run (9-20 miles). Last week I did 12.5 miles and the week before I did 15 so mayyyyybe my body was not ready for that. I guess I will be sticking with the cross training for a while. Thanks again!!