Loosen Up To Stay Fit

Options
Tightness in the shoulders, neck, and back leads to fatigue, soreness, and lack of mobility. It's a casualty of the modern desk job, and one of the greatest threats to your fitness plan. Which is why you (and every other guy) should follow the 20/20 rule: Every 20 minutes, stand for 20 seconds and shake things out. That's all it takes to reduce fatigue, enhance blood flow, rejuvenate tired muscles, and banish back pain. Then, every two hours, run through the following stretches to enhance the effect:

Chest Elevation
Sit in a chair with your arms at your sides and your feet flat on the floor. Gently raise your chest toward the ceiling, keeping your chin level with the floor (don't look up). Hold for 10 seconds, relax, and repeat five times.

Scapular Retraction
Assume the position for a chest elevation, but this time place your hands on your hips. Then, squeeze your shoulder blades together, feeling the stretch in your chest. Hold for 10 seconds, relax, and repeat five times.

Upper Cervical Spine Flex
From the chest elevation position, dip your head forward slightly as if you were nodding “yes.” Feel the stretch in your neck at the base of your head. Hold for 10 seconds, relax, and repeat five times.

Cheers!

Replies

• CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

These simple exercises are great! I for one suffer from sitting badly at my desk, and my physio gave me very similar exercises to this! It has reminded me to do them, and it does make such a difference!

:flowerforyou: