how many calories should you be eating for breakfast?

Options
for breakfast, "the most important meal of the day" should you be eating healthy but with a significant amount of calories to start up your metabolism, or keep it still healthy obviously, but a smaller amount of calories? to throw a number out, under 300 calories, or over? just curious

Replies

• irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I think that would depend on you, and your calorie goals for the day. I eat 400-500 calories for breakfast most days I plan on exercising. A little over 300 on rest days.
  • MadeInDR022
    Options
    On a good day, (when I don't feel the need to snack before lunch time) I eat a bit over 300 calories. Eggs help fill me up a lot too.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    That depends. There is no hard, concrete answer.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    There's no magic formula! You have to find what works best for you. Some people like to eat a huge breakfast to carry them through to lunch... some people like a smaller one and have a snack before lunch.
  • caseye98
    caseye98 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the thing I have found for me, is the southwestern egg beaters. I make 3/4 - 1 cup each morning and it fills me up. It totals about 80-100 calories for it but I would rather save my calories for lunch and dinner. So, since it fills me up, I try not to eat anything else. :)
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    482 for me. Every day. Without fail. :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    for breakfast, "the most important meal of the day" should you be eating healthy but with a significant amount of calories to start up your metabolism, or keep it still healthy obviously, but a smaller amount of calories? to throw a number out, under 300 calories, or over? just curious

Your metabolism isn't started by breakfast or any other foods for that matter. That's basically a myth. You do burn calories processing food, and people mistakenly took that to mean that the more often you eat, the more calories you burn (also false).

Generally speaking, all you need to concern yourself with as far as meal sizes and timing:

1) Hitting your calorie and macronutrient targets by end of day*
    2) Eat with a timing/frequency/meal size according to personal preference and gym performance.

* and some people will have an easier time doing this using a specific timing or size. Ex: I skip breakfast because it makes it much easier for me to stay within my goals by doing so.
  • SillyDrusilla
    Options
    I drink a lot of fruit juice (fresh squeezed) in the morning or watermelon or something super liquidy. I don't know how many calories it is but it gets me going and I've been losing weight. :)
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Funny because studies have shown the optimal b-fast calorie count is 457. More than that is too much and less is too low.
  • verbalriot
    Options
    I eat between 200 and 350is cals for breakfast every day. This usually has to do with the size of the banana I am slicing into my yogurt and cereal combo!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    I only eat a 70 cal Activia Light Yogurt for breakfast, and it works for me. I've never liked to eat breakfast and can't stomach a big meal first thing in the morning. Then I have more calories for a filling lunch and dinner.
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    On an exersize day i'll eat around 400-500kcal, on a non exersize day around 250!....

Si x
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I should eat less than 300 because I'm not hungry in the morning and I enjoy having a big dinner. You should eat whatever works for you.
  • kie_kie
    kie_kie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If i'm going to have a high calorie lunch and/or dinner I normally tend to go light on breakfast around 200-250 but on a normal day I eat anywhere between 300-400 calories for breakfast

Most times my dinner takes up most of my calories for the day
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I have read that one of the best breakfast foods to start your day with is porridge, confirmed by my personal trainer and also a nutritionist. I think that is a pretty interchangeable option between individuals as well, it actually usually keeps me well and truly satisfied until just before midday without making me feel stuffed.
  • navstone
    navstone Posts: 30
    Options
    I take my calories for the day and divide by 4. 1/4 for each meal and 1/4 for snacks.
  • joebb3
    joebb3 Posts: 2
    Options
    Like sidesteal said... Doesn't matter. Just try to spread your calories out over a 3-5 meal day depending on your lifestyle. The important thing is to burn more than you take in each and every day. The more weight you are trying to lose, increase your caloric deficit. The closer you get to your goal, you can decrease that deficit.

This isn't a diet thing. Its a LIFESTYLE change. If you get to your goal weight and go back to twinkies and pizza, your doomed.
  • kie_kie
    kie_kie Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Funny because studies have shown the optimal b-fast calorie count is 457. More than that is too much and less is too low.

Everyone is different. A study generalizes and may not work for everyone.... keep that in mind
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

If I'm working out in the morning, I'll eat about 200cals before my workout and about 100-150cals after. If I'm not working out until the afternoon, I'll eat all my breakfast cals around 6:30am.
  • If I work out I will eat eithor a greek yogurt (abpout 130-160 clories) or a protein shake. (160-200)