What counts as water?

Options

Replies

• davlaur
    davlaur Posts: 34
    Options
    :smile: My dietician says that tea, coffee, orange juice, milk all count as water
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    So, does coconut water count as water? I drink that crap like it's a religion.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 nutiritonists, one was a sports nutritionist, tell me that anything without caffeine counts as water. But I couldn't pin either one of them down on how much I should drink. Rather, they both said to go by the color of your urine - it should be a pale yellow, the color of wheat.

My own exception would be first thing in the morning, since I take my multivitamin at night.

Drinking a lot of coffee or soda will make your urine pale, too, so if they're going by the color of your urine, they can't count out caffeinated beverages.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Your body can't tell the difference between pure H20 and H20 that is found in tea or coffee or watermelon or celery or anything else. It draws the H20 into the cells the exact same way.

Some people (myself) still choose to drink only water as far as the "daily water count" goes because I don't like to drink my calories when I only have 1400 to work with during the day. Some people like to drink X amount of water because it flushes the system, makes them feel better, and helps suppress appetite. That's fine, too.

But the absolute bottom line is that for homeostasis purposes, ANY water you get from ANYTHING hydrates your cells. If you're just worried about getting fluids to replace the fluids lost during sweat, using the bathroom, and breathing (yes you lose a small amount of water with every breath), then fruit, veggies, tea, coffee, etc is just fine.

Also, Gatorade hydrates you better than water following a large amount of fluids lost because it has electrolytes. But it also has a lot of calories, too.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    dihydrogen oxide

Did you hear about the park that got dihydrogen oxide banned due to an initiative? Some smart aleks went and formed a petition and got enough signatures to get it banned from the park marketing it as dihydrogen oxide.

Uhm, I'm not sure what dihydrogen oxide is - unless you mean dihydrogen monoxide, which is also know as hydroxyl acid and, yeah, it can kill you.
    Maybe you mean hydrogen dioxide?
  • katweeks63
    Options
    Ok, I think I'll take the middle ground... I'll count water, tea, coffee, & any liquid that does not add calories, except diet cola, which I have found makes me ripply (hehe). Maybe those drink packets that you add to water if they are sugar free. I don't drink wine or beer or the likes because of my blood sugar, so that won't be a problem. Thanks for the input.
  • katweeks63
    Options
    Ok, I think I'll take the middle ground... I'll count water, tea, coffee, & any liquid that does not add calories, except diet cola, which I have found makes me ripply (hehe). Maybe those drink packets that you add to water if they are sugar free. I don't drink wine or beer or the likes because of my blood sugar, so that won't be a problem. Thanks for the input.

Correction... No cola.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Is there any beverage, other than milk, that isn't made from water?

You're going to get different answers on this. As far as what I put in my food journal, I only count actual water, but I think it's okay to count black coffee and plain tea. If you add creamers and sweeteners, I personally wouldn't count it.

Since when is milk not made from water ?

cows milk is about 90% or so water.....any drinkable fluid contains water !

Cow's milk is an ingredient in itself. I realize it has water content, just like a piece of fruit does. What I meant is that, unlike coffee or tea or soda, you don't take water and mix it with something else to get milk.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    dihydrogen oxide

Did you hear about the park that got dihydrogen oxide banned due to an initiative? Some smart aleks went and formed a petition and got enough signatures to get it banned from the park marketing it as dihydrogen oxide.

Uhm, I'm not sure what dihydrogen oxide is - unless you mean dihydrogen monoxide, which is also know as hydroxyl acid and, yeah, it can kill you.

dihydorgen oxide.... h20. In other words, good ol water. Chemistry anyone?
  • zoe021601
    Options
    Water is water. Most every liquid people drink is made from water, but does that make it water? NO. I drink things beside water throughout the day, coffee, diet coke, milk. But I don't say that I've been drinking water all day. I do, however, drink my 8-10 8 oz glasses of water a day, and it makes me feel incredible!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    forget the word 'water' and think the term 'fluid'. In fact, forget even that as there are sufficient quantities of that in most foods to be able to give you most of what you need.

You do not need to religiously drink 8 glasses of water a day, or half your bodyweight or whatever other BS is peddled. Just drink sensibly and eat sensibly. Staying off the carbonated drinks is a good plan mostly due to sugar sweeteners etc.
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    Dihydrogen monoxide is correct, actually, as per the naming rules for covalent compounds (two non-metals). :P
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    dihydrogen oxide

tpcZK.jpg
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    now i'm thirsty.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    now i'm thirsty.

have some milk
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    The same article that stated you need 64 ounces of water per day also states that you get most of that from your food.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Many drinks that contain water also contain other things that can DEHYDRATE you. That's why water is water. Period.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    forget the word 'water' and think the term 'fluid'. In fact, forget even that as there are sufficient quantities of that in most foods to be able to give you most of what you need.

You do not need to religiously drink 8 glasses of water a day, or half your bodyweight or whatever other BS is peddled. Just drink sensibly and eat sensibly. Staying off the carbonated drinks is a good plan mostly due to sugar sweeteners etc.

^^^^^This

If you exercise on a regular basis you need to be more diligent about hydration (especially in really hot weather) but otherwise just obey your thirst.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    H2O

Don't forget agua or eau. I count those as well.

bwah haha!! good old fashioned water is the only thing I count as well....WATER!!
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    dihydrogen oxide

tpcZK.jpg

lolz. i like whoever said dihydrogen monoxide can kill you. which is exactly how those people got it banned from a park. Here's the info that person provided to get the petitioners to sign. Funny stuff!

Dihydrogen monoxide:

is called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain.
    contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
    may cause severe burns.
    is fatal if inhaled.
    contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
    accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
    may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
    Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
    as an industrial solvent and coolant.
    in nuclear power plants.
    in the production of Styrofoam.
    as a fire retardant.
    in many forms of cruel animal research.
    in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
    as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.