Do you cook differently for your family?

Options

Replies

• Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    yes I do...it just works easier that way....

she needs a full balanced meal every meal...i need to eat what I can that works with what I can consume at this point in my life..

so I do...
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    My extended family apparently has a running pool on what "weird" veggie I'll make for Thanksgiving :P

But, to answer your question, find a healthier version of it. It works for me :)
  • SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I cook different meals for all of us ( I have 3 boys) - I am just used to it now and it doesn't really take up any more of my time than I would expect. Two of my boys have food allergies, one life threatening allergies. I am a pescaterian, and my hubby is full on carnivore!
    It's all fun and games :laugh:
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    My situation is that I have two picky teens who don't like most of the foods I make for myself. They complain 'there's no food in the house' when they look in the refrigerator. They like a lot of kid-food--pizza, mac & cheese, fettuccini alfredo, fries, burritos, potato chips, taco chips and salsa, veggie versions of chik'n nuggets, cheese burgers, etc. So, I end up buying and/or making those things for them.

Usually, I resist, but in weak moments, I can get pulled into eating these rich foods, and see red in my food diary.

Funny, in all our conversations, you've never mentioned your children having a debilitating issue that prevents them from cooking for themselves. If they want it badly enough, let them source/cook whatever it is. Of course, that only solves half the problem, since once it is in the house, you're still tempted to eat it, but, my guess is that if you don't make it easy on them these foods will be around less. Please don't tell them I said this though.
  • Pacileo4Evers
    Pacileo4Evers Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I normally have to do two if its rice I have to cook white and brown, and if its pasta or bread ( my husband says hates wheat anything)
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My situation is that I have two picky teens who don't like most of the foods I make for myself. They complain 'there's no food in the house' when they look in the refrigerator. They like a lot of kid-food--pizza, mac & cheese, fettuccini alfredo, fries, burritos, potato chips, taco chips and salsa, veggie versions of chik'n nuggets, cheese burgers, etc. So, I end up buying and/or making those things for them.

Usually, I resist, but in weak moments, I can get pulled into eating these rich foods, and see red in my food diary.

AH! Now I see. I keep mac and cheese in the house and they make it for themselves but my husband and I don't eat it. We get pizza occasionally but not more than once every few weeks. They eat it out with friends though. Burritos can be a nutritional powerhouse so we go with those usually once a week-I often just have the ingredients on a salad though and skip the cheese. You can make chicken nuggets that are healthy...though i know you don't really eat chicken right? Nothing wrong with some chips and salsa just go for the regular chips v. doritos or see if you like the baked ones for yourself (kids probably wont' like them). I serve them burgers like once a week on good quality local beef and just have lentil or bean burger myself. You can improvise/compromise.
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I do cook differently for them now, it's hard not to but at the same time I realize that I'm the only one that is really trying to
    eat healthier so for the most part, I will make things that they like and make myself something else or I would forewarn them
    before I cook, that we are eating healthy that day and everyone seems to be okay with it.

We want our family to eat better but they are not going to do it willingly until they realize they need to do it for themselves. Fortunately there are some healthy foods out that actually taste good. But in the meantime I keep introducing healthy foods to them every now and then until they get the a-ha moment. LOL

The good part is I didn't change my eating habits too much. I just count the calories and so my body didn't go into shock LOL
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Maybe it's time for the teens to learn how to cook?? I'm not being sarcastic, it was just a thought.

You can make healthier, lower calorie versions of many of those foods. Maybe not the potato chips or alfredo. I have made healthier mac and cheese, but it's not low cal.

I'm always surprised by how many people on MFP say no to chips and salsa. That is a go to healthy snack for me when I was something crunchy. Burritos and burgers are easy though if you use lean meat and reduced fat cheese. Shredded chicken / bean burritos and nachos are yummy!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

Please don't take this the wrong way because I'm truly not trying to be judgmental, just asking you to maybe reevaluate some things. You are here to lose weight and probably something which is more important: make yourself healthier? I would think about the way your kids eat. Do you really want them to be in your shoes? I know that I don't want my kids to ever feel they way I feel about myself, or have to have any concern about their health due to eating habits. They're in their teens now, and will likely be out of the house in a short time. If they are making bad choices like that already, imagine the choices they will make when they leave. If I were in your shoes, I'd put my foot down. You don't need to deprive them of everything, but they need to understand a balanced diet that they can carry on for when they live on their owns and make their OWN dinners.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Nope. I take into consideration what they want for dinner and then I try to make a healthier version of it so that way we're all happy. But bottom line is, my husband and kids know that what I make is what they're getting. If my husband wants to eat something else, that's up to him. He's a grown man and can make something else if he wants (and he does from time to time but he's a pretty picky eater).

This. If your significant other isn't happy with what you've cooked for dinner, tell them to get their @ss in the kitchen and make their own d@mn dinner!
  • ntlpeterson
    ntlpeterson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do not cook differently for my family. Every week when I plan the menu I ask my husband what he wants to eat that week. He usually gives me three to four meals (not always the most healthy). I then carefully plan those meals into the week. I'll make sure that I eat light for the rest of the day and that I don't have too many carbs. I try to make it so there won't be a lot extra, maybe just enough for his lunch the next day and no more. This has been working for us. My husband doesn't feel like he is starving and I get a well portioned amount of some delicious food myself. Sometimes if he wants something like stirfy or something, I'll make just enough rice for him and skip it myself.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I often make separate dinners but I've gotten used to it. I'm a stay at home mom so I have more time to do that than the working mom does.
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend misses my cooking (he's out of town on business and eats heat n eat or restaurant foods)!! Sometimes he'll add extra sauces or another side dish to his plate, but he hasn't been home since I started following a strict paleo plan. But something tells me when he comes home to visit this weekend he'll just be glad to have a home cooked meal :)
  • TanyaMerejo12
    Options
    i try not to cook two meals. my 18month old son eats whatever i give him. he loves veggies, thank God!! my hubby thats a different story he is Dominican and he loves his rice, beans and meat EVERYDAY, EVERYDAY... I dont cook rice on a daily basis when I do I healthify it. Less salt, less oil (i only use Olive oil) instead of frying I bake, broil or grill. I often include veggies and/or salads with the meals. As for juice i buy fruits and vegetables and i make my own with a juice extractor... I try not to buy thing I know are not good for me. That helps at least me. Good Luck!!
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If you think you shouldn't have them, why is it justifiable for your family to put those foods in their mouths as well? I can't speak from experience because I don't have kids, but I do have a husband. He eats what I make, it's plain and simple. If he wants to eat bad, he can go and get the food to make it and make it himself because I refuse. It helps just not having those foods in the house, at all. I wouldn't make it totally obvious that it's healthy stuff. Of course, it is, but it shouldn't be looked at as bad, or something abnormal. I think the best way for your family to embrace the healthier meals by not saying making it clear you made it because it's healthy, but you made it because it's what's for dinner.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you think you shouldn't have them, why is it justifiable for your family to put those foods in their mouths as well? I can't speak from experience because I don't have kids, but I do have a husband. He eats what I make, it's plain and simple. If he wants to eat bad, he can go and get the food to make it and make it himself because I refuse. It helps just not having those foods in the house, at all. I wouldn't make it totally obvious that it's healthy stuff. Of course, it is, but it shouldn't be looked at as bad, or something abnormal. I think the best way for your family to embrace the healthier meals by not saying making it clear you made it because it's healthy, but you made it because it's what's for dinner.

This.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I typically fix different food for me. But I keep it simple. My peeps will not eat baked fished and steamed veggies.
  • somedaysoon84
    Options
    i try to cook what my family likes, but the healthiest way possible. my boyfriend is not a big guy, works outside hard all day, and has a motabolism most of us would be jealous of.
    when i started cutting calories, he decided he would show his support by eating like me. in a week he lost 10 pounds and felt like crap..... SO we compromise. he eats a gross fast food mega calorie lunch, and i make the stuff he likes, and portion mine. it takes a lot.... and there are things he loves that we don't eat. mashed potatoes..... will be my downfall if they are in the house. but i do make raw fries baked with vinegar, and that suites him just fine.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm a softie, I cook differently for my kids than myself. Not always and I try to have stuff that we're all eating but it's not uncommon for them to have different sides or occasionally completely different meals.
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I make the food, so what I make, they eat. End of story. If I don't feel like it's healthy enough for me to eat, why on earth would I make my 3 year old and husband eat that garbage?

If my husband wants garbage, he's a big boy, and can make it himself. As far as my daughter goes, she eats what I eat and that's final.