Weight lifting and small bruises

Options
Since I started lifting on 13th June, I've been getting small round bruises dotted about. They are on my arms, legs and lower torso (they may be higher or on my back but I hadn't been paying much attention to them until today) and are about the size of a 5p coin (I think that's about the same size as a 1 cent coin). A quick google search confirms that they're likely to be from lifting, possibly the result of increased blood pressure messing about with my blood vessels. I'm not concerned about the blood pressure, mine is naturally low anyway but I really don't like being bruised.

I'm planning on taking an iron supplement as I'd like to rule that out, but several of the sites said that they got bruises even though their iron levels are normal.

I was wondering if anybody knows how to prevent them if they're not iron related, is my warmup not good enough, or do I over-warmup, if there's anything else I might be deficient in that would cause this?

Replies

• kaydensmom12
    Options
    It sounds like something that I would talk to the doctor about. It could just be bruising, but can also be a sign of either iron deficiency or low platelets. Have you noticed any unusual bleeding, like when brushing your teeth?
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    7734236962_f07deebfc8.jpg
    Arm by Kirkajuice, on Flickr

AHA! picture posted!

Edit: The smaller dark marks are freckles, ignore those.
  • Kirkajuice
    Options
    It sounds like something that I would talk to the doctor about. It could just be bruising, but can also be a sign of either iron deficiency or low platelets. Have you noticed any unusual bleeding, like when brushing your teeth?

Nope, and I really scrub at my gums when I brush my teeth and there's no bleeding there. How could I correct a problem like low platelets? I'm attempting to post a picture and it is not going well even when I follow tutorials.

Edit: I would love to talk to a doctor, but I'm trying to register with a surgery and they're having problems transporting my records across and the receptionist is a pain in the bum and won't make an appointment until they have my records. I might go to the walk in centre in town maybe, don't need appointments or to be registered there.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    That's strange, never seen that before except for when I actually hit myself with the weights (usually from deadlifting). Your blood pressure is so high when weight lifting that a small hit can make a big bruise. Assuming you aren't actually hitting yourself, I'd talk to a doctor.
  • Kirkajuice
    Options
    That's strange, never seen that before except for when I actually hit myself with the weights (usually from deadlifting). Your blood pressure is so high when weight lifting that a small hit can make a big bruise. Assuming you aren't actually hitting yourself, I'd talk to a doctor.

I'm not usually hitting myself :tongue: I'd think that's what it was but that picture is the back of my arm and I don't put any weights near that area, nor do I put weights near the backs of my legs. I can imagine bruising my torso and the front of my legs but I can't see how I'd bruise the back of my arm with a dumbell or barbell.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem of mysterious bruises - but I don't lift, and my bruises appear on the fronts of my legs. I thought they might be unconsciously self inflicted; I usually sleep on my side or my stomach with my legs together, and they've gotten much bonier in the last couple years (lol)...but I'm not putting any pressure where the bruises are appearing. I know I should probably see a doctor, but I don't have a car so I need to find someone willing to drive me around, then make an appointment and make sure they're available and blah blah blah. Maybe when I get back to school; my doctor's office is in the same town.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Hiya, yep. I get bruises on my arms and legs (particularly around my knees), and it was worse when I started out strength training. You look pale skinned (like me), and you are probably not realising that you are knocking yourself. As I have become more competant, I get less bruises. Funnily enough, I get similar mysterious bruises when I have been out drinking :smile:
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I get these on my biceps & forearm when I lift, they always look like popped blood vessels to me.

ETA, I also have low iron so I always figured the two go hand in hand
  • Kirkajuice
    Options
    I get these on my biceps & forearm when I lift, they always look like popped blood vessels to me.

ETA, I also have low iron so I always figured the two go hand in hand

Hm, I'll check to see if more form when I do squats compared to deadlifts or bench presses in case I'm rupturing them in a localised area. My muscles do look quite impressive after lifting but not so much before or a while after so maybe they have increased blood flow there (like DopeItUp said) and that causes the leaking?
  • Kirkajuice
    Options
    Hiya, yep. I get bruises on my arms and legs (particularly around my knees), and it was worse when I started out strength training. You look pale skinned (like me), and you are probably not realising that you are knocking yourself. As I have become more competant, I get less bruises. Funnily enough, I get similar mysterious bruises when I have been out drinking :smile:

Very pale, a lot of people in my family have the whole red hair/pale freckley skin. I only have the pale skin though, my hair's dark :tongue: My legs probably blind the poor people at the gym in the mornings!

And that picture is me with a tan! I got a bit burnt the weekend before last so that arm is darker than it normally is!