Wheat Intolerance

Options
13»

Replies

• ShannonD13
    ShannonD13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    We like Chebe bread mix. We make crackers with it too. Hang in there!!!
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm wheat free for health reasons as of the past few weeks-- mostly gluten free but I eat rice occasionally. I find I like eating wheat free-- it makes low-calorie choices easier and forces me to eat creatively. I also feel a lot better off wheat. One of my favorite meals to make is well-seasons scrambled eggs with tons of veggies and some or the other meat. There are so many possibilities with eggs that some weeks I eat them every day. I also eat tons of salad. I love to make it with spinach and applewood smoked turkey, mmm.
    When I'm craving pasta sometimes I bake cauliflower with a teensy bit of parmesan and add marinara. Just try to focus on proteins and veggies and a healthy, gluten-free diet will fall into place :) Gl!

There is NO gluten in rice!

Rice can be your staple food for sure. Try to focus more on whole foods than the calorie loaded, and expensive substitutes. I honestly have Udi's bread or GF cereal as a treat sometimes, but otherwise a student's budget can't handle the cost. Especially if you were just diagnosed, you may have some healing to do. Keep your protein and carbs at healthy levels and try very hard to cut out all gluten. I felt hugely better day one. I was myself again in less than a month.

Good luck! You can always add me for meal ideas or PM me for more info.

Thank You!!! This has been driving me crazy, I keep hearing/reading this. Rice is safe for people who cannot have gluten. All rice. Totally safe.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I am gluten free and eat cream of brown rice cereal at breakfast.. or Ruth's Chia Goodness.. or 2 eggs with veggies.
    For lunch I have a salad with Newman's Own dressing and some protein
    dinner is grilled fish with veg. I snack on peanut butter, almonds, walnuts .. pumpkin seeds , strawberries and red peppers.

Yes I miss bread and once in a while I will have rye bread or Ezekiel.

good luck!! It can be done!
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free for over a year.. forget the gluten free products except for occassionally..most of them are way too expensive and not very healthy. Until you get the hang of things.. keep it simple.. think of foods that are naturally gluten free meats, eggs,vegetables, fruit, nuts, potatoes- if you can handle it rice, beans.. check out www.glutenfreegoddess.com.. she has lot of good info.. and don't forget the hidden glutens -there is list on her website
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've been GF almost 3 years and yes, it's expensive and intimidating. I second what other people here have said, it's far cheaper, easier, and healthier to just go without. If you really need a starch/carb, make it a treat. I sometimes make rice or quinoa (but not often). Udi's bread is the only pre-made bread I like, usually I will make my own from Bob's Red Mill Homemade Wonderful Gluten Free Bread Mix (but again, this is a treat). I like Tinkyada and Anicent Harvest pastas. Pamela's is always good, but my fav for cake mix is Namaste (and I'm a cake decorator). Once in a while I'll splurge and get a GF beer, but most of the time I will get Woodchuck (looks almost like a regular beer bottle so I don't feel like I stand out).

Helpful hint - look for GF products that use something other than rice flour. If an ingredient list says just "brown rice flour", or lists a couple different rice flours, give it a pass. The better products will have a combo of flours like rice, quinoa, coconut, potato, etc. They each have different properties and using just rice flour isn't likely to give you the texture you want. I keep a variety of flours onhand in the freezer just in case I get the urge to bake something. Rule of 3's - always use 3 different types of flour to replace regular flour in a recipe. And get a bag of xanthan gum, you'll need that too.

It does get easier, I swear. :) Feel free to add me if you want.
  • momof8munchkins
    Options
    I'm wheat free for health reasons as of the past few weeks-- mostly gluten free but I eat rice occasionally. I find I like eating wheat free-- it makes low-calorie choices easier and forces me to eat creatively. I also feel a lot better off wheat. One of my favorite meals to make is well-seasons scrambled eggs with tons of veggies and some or the other meat. There are so many possibilities with eggs that some weeks I eat them every day. I also eat tons of salad. I love to make it with spinach and applewood smoked turkey, mmm.
    When I'm craving pasta sometimes I bake cauliflower with a teensy bit of parmesan and add marinara. Just try to focus on proteins and veggies and a healthy, gluten-free diet will fall into place :) Gl!

There is NO gluten in rice!

Rice can be your staple food for sure. Try to focus more on whole foods than the calorie loaded, and expensive substitutes. I honestly have Udi's bread or GF cereal as a treat sometimes, but otherwise a student's budget can't handle the cost. Especially if you were just diagnosed, you may have some healing to do. Keep your protein and carbs at healthy levels and try very hard to cut out all gluten. I felt hugely better day one. I was myself again in less than a month.

Good luck! You can always add me for meal ideas or PM me for more info.

Thank You!!! This has been driving me crazy, I keep hearing/reading this. Rice is safe for people who cannot have gluten. All rice. Totally safe.
    There is a certain amount of gluten in ALL grains..I learned this from the President of the Celiac Foundation in my hometown..She is also celiac and has studied nutrition for over 30 years. Rice is on the low low end and considered technically gluten free under the legal limit of 20 parts per million ..some gluten intolerent folks can eat it with no problems and some of us have to be totally grain free..it all depends on how sensitive you are.I did not begin to feel better and my gut to heal until I gave up grains.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Each kind of grain contains a different kind of prolamine or gluten. The prolamines in wheat, rye, and barley are the ones that are generally referenced as being harmful to celiacs and are the ones that are referred to by Joe Blow on the street when discussing a "gluten free" diet, and are the only ones required to be under 20 ppm to qualify as gluten free. The prolamine in rice (orzenin) is not required to be tested for, and comprises 5% of the protein in rice. Rice is, in the common vernacular, "gluten-free", because it does not contain gliadin, hordein, or secalin.

Science's understanding of celiac disease and gluten intolerance is still in its infancy. While we do know that the prolamines in wheat, rye, and barley cause problems for those with celiac disease, we don't know how much other grains, particularly rice which has the lowest level of prolamines, might cause problems as well. Oats have long been questioned, as it has been noted that some celiacs react to even certified gluten free (per the above qualifications) oats.

You need long term, high population studies to come to a consensus on that, and some of the "new" "gluten free" grains like sorghum and teff, people simply haven't been baking with them for long enough for us to know anything. Scientists note that some cases of celiac disease are "intractable", meaning that the celiac disease symptoms do not go away when the person adopts a conventional gluten-free (as described above) diet. So they know there are other triggers. In some cases the trigger may be other grains commonly referred to as gluten free grains. In some cases soy or dairy might be recognized as triggering an auto-immune response. There are not enough cases, there is not enough data, to know for sure all of the proteins that may trigger an auto-immune response resulting in celiac disease.

Personally, I don't consume any grains, and I generally refer to my diet as "grain free" to differentiate the fact that I am not just avoiding wheat, barley, and rye, but other grains as well. My dad and I both react to grains other than just wheat, barley, and rye.

there is certain amount of gluten in ALL grains.. rice is on the low end and considered technically gluten free under the legal limit of 20 parts per million ..some gluten intolerent folks can eat it with no problems and some of us have to be totally grain free..it all depends on how sensitive you are
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    glutenfreeclub.com has recipies.
  • momof8munchkins
    Options
    Each kind of grain contains a different kind of prolamine or gluten. The prolamines in wheat, rye, and barley are the ones that are generally referenced as being harmful to celiacs and are the ones that are referred to by Joe Blow on the street when discussing a "gluten free" diet, and are the only ones required to be under 20 ppm to qualify as gluten free. The prolamine in rice (orzenin) is not required to be tested for, and comprises 5% of the protein in rice. Rice is, in the common vernacular, "gluten-free", because it does not contain gliadin, hordein, or secalin.

Science's understanding of celiac disease and gluten intolerance is still in its infancy. While we do know that the prolamines in wheat, rye, and barley cause problems for those with celiac disease, we don't know how much other grains, particularly rice which has the lowest level of prolamines, might cause problems as well. Oats have long been questioned, as it has been noted that some celiacs react to even certified gluten free (per the above qualifications) oats.

You need long term, high population studies to come to a consensus on that, and some of the "new" "gluten free" grains like sorghum and teff, people simply haven't been baking with them for long enough for us to know anything. Scientists note that some cases of celiac disease are "intractable", meaning that the celiac disease symptoms do not go away when the person adopts a conventional gluten-free (as described above) diet. So they know there are other triggers. In some cases the trigger may be other grains commonly referred to as gluten free grains. In some cases soy or dairy might be recognized as triggering an auto-immune response. There are not enough cases, there is not enough data, to know for sure all of the proteins that may trigger an auto-immune response resulting in celiac disease.

Personally, I don't consume any grains, and I generally refer to my diet as "grain free" to differentiate the fact that I am not just avoiding wheat, barley, and rye, but other grains as well. My dad and I both react to grains other than just wheat, barley, and rye.

there is certain amount of gluten in ALL grains.. rice is on the low end and considered technically gluten free under the legal limit of 20 parts per million ..some gluten intolerent folks can eat it with no problems and some of us have to be totally grain free..it all depends on how sensitive you are
    [/quote)
    This is the case with me and mine.. we have to be gluten, grain, dairy, legume and soy free