Need some new DVD ideas, suggestions welcome.

Options
Hello. A little background. I'm currently doing NROLW with minimal cardio. Most of my cardio is on the trails walking with a little jogging. I'd like to do more jogging eventually but you know how it goes. In the fall/winter, though, I have less access to the trails because of transportation, work schedules, and available daylight so I do DVDs. I know its a little early but I like to research and plan. I have a healthy collection but am looking for something different. I currently have a couple basic aerobics and one with a little kickboxing by Gilad, Walk Away the lbs by Leslie Sansone, one Bollywood dance, and one Latin dance. Please note: I DO NOT like Jillian Michaels AT ALL. No offense to those who do, I can see that many folks get results but her personality rubs me the wrong way. So, other than JM, suggestions are appreciated. Thanks. :smile:

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    collagevideo.com is REALLY informative. I check out all DVDs there first. They have video clips, professional reviews that will tell you high impact, complex choreography, etc.

I have a couple limitations with cardio - namely 2 left feet.

Kelly Coffey Meyers is one of my favorite instructors (not at all like Jillian and not syrupy sweet either). I use her 30 Minutes to Fitness for strength training .... she does have these for cardio also - boxing, step aerobics, bootcamp, etc.

Cathe (Freidrichs) is advanced ... she is really easy to follow and encouraging without being cute. I use her more simple step aerobics DVDs.

I do like Leslie Sansone ..... a rebounder (mini trampoline) will help you increase the intensity.

If you like kickboxing, Ilaria Montagnani's Power Strike series are very highly rated.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! Some of those sound really great and I'll definitely check out the website. I like to see before I buy so thats awesome!
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I always fall back to Insanity for my indoor cardio.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    DDPYoga, it combines flexibility with strength and resistance training, plus cardio. check it out at www.ddpyoga.com
  • stfriend
    Options
    I've thought about Insanity but haven't quite got up the nerve, lol. The infomercials look brutal, not sure I'm ready for that but its on the list of future possibilities. I will also check out the yoga as I need to start this again as well. My muscles are super tight right now. I have a yoga video (sorry, forgot to mention) that is good for beginners but will eventually need to increase the intensity so thanks for that recommendation!
  • JDMRoma
    JDMRoma Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    checkout p90x, its a great well rounded routine with weights and cardio...Yoga , Kenpo and a good strech vid too.
    cant go wrong with it !
  • stfriend
    Options
    I keep seeing p90x but wasn't sure what it was. I'll have to check into it...
  • kebika
    kebika Posts: 1
    Options
    Just my 2 cents, but I love Kelly Coffey-Meyer too. She teaches classes at my gym, but I often can't make it to them due to work schedule. She has some great cardio dvds (I have and like cardioblast and kickboxing). She also has Strength-traning dvds that incorporate cardio into the workout (I have and like your best body, bootcamp, and body training). They're all based on the concept of "30 minutes to fitness." but there are premixes that double up if you want it. There are a total of 14 (?) videos you can find at coffeyfit.com or amazon, among other places.

I have a couple Jillian dvds myself and I always quit doing them after a day or two because she comes off as too obnoxious, On the other hand Kelly is inspiring and motivational and she bring me back everytime! She's a mom and she wants mom's to look good and feel good. She's funny and fun, but don't think her workouts are a joke!
  • SammiAlt
    Options
    I just finished Brazil Butt Lift and got some awesome results. I just started P90X a week ago and am loving that so far, too! I don't mind Jillian Michaels, but I get bored with the dvds I have of hers! What kind of results are you looking for?
  • KellyUK1987
    Options
    I really like Jillian Michaels haha.

I like Laura London, she's encouraging and is a Mum, and does her video's on YouTube from home. So she uses Towels and stuff for props. She has loads of one minute work outs for abs / biceps / triceps etc. You can pick a couple and make it in to a workout.
  • nomayo
    nomayo Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm currently loving (yes, loving) Jackie Warner's DVDs. I have a bunch of Jillian but I got tired of her "I'm a bad *kitten*" attitude. JW is not bad *kitten*, but not sweet either (like Denise Austin), she is in the middle, I would say, but she makes me sore the next days and I end up with a major sweat every time. I check the videos before buying any, in Collage Video and here

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/

Good luck!