No Sugar Cranberry Sauce

Options
Wecandothis
Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
I know this has Splenda, but I figure it's okay just this once for this time of the year. I love Cranberrie sauce and was astounded at the calories in the prepared stuff. This tastes wonderful at only 40 calories a serving (1/2 cup):

INGREDIENTS

* 6 cups fresh cranberries, picked over & rinsed
* 3 cups Splenda sugar substitute or sugar
* 1/2 cup water
* 2 apples - diced
* 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled & cut in 3 pieces (if you don't have fresh ginger, add 1/2 tsp ground ginger with other spices) OR ground
* 1 tbsp orange, zest of
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/2 teaspoon allspice

In a large pot mix together the cranberries, diced apples, Splenda, water, spices and orange zest.

Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until all berries have burst. I had to keep stirring as the mixture gets very thick. Making sure the berries have burst insures that you won't get a veyr sour jolt as you bit into a bitter berry.

Remove from heat and allow to cool 1/2 hour.

Put in covered bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.

Number of Servings: 12

Nutrition Facts
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Serving Size: 1 serving

Amount Per Serving
Calories 40.2
Total Fat 0.3 g
Saturated Fat 0.1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 51.0 mg
Potassium 81.8 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
Sugars 14.0 g
Protein 0.3 g
Vitamin A 0.9 %
Vitamin B-12 0.0 %
Vitamin B-6 2.3 %
Vitamin C 13.8 %
Vitamin D 0.0 %
Vitamin E 0.7 %
Calcium 1.6 %
Copper 2.2 %
Folate 0.5 %
Iron 2.6 %
Magnesium 1.6 %
Manganese 28.0 %
Niacin 0.5 %
Pantothenic Acid 1.5 %
Phosphorus 0.9 %
Riboflavin 0.9 %
Selenium 0.5 %
Thiamin 0.7 %
Zinc 0.6 %

Replies

• shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'll find my recipe for Cranberry- Orange Jam It could be adapted easily to a sauce, and it uses Honey, no Splenda or sugar. Very tasty and much better for you. I avoid Splenda like the plague. Sorry, But I'm a believer in the less processed foods, and definitely don't go for the artificial ones.:ohwell:
  • shariguymon
    Options
    My jam uses 12 Cups of fresh cranberries, zest on one orange and then remove peel and puree the orange in a blender. One 12 oz can of frozen orange juice concentrate, 2 1/2 Cups of honey ( to make Jam I use 5 C water 4 1/2 tsp of Pomona universal pectin and 3 T of calcium water { the calcium needed to make the calcium water is in the box of pectin} ) This pectin is different from the normal kind, and is activated by the calcium water not sugar. Personally I love it because you can make jams without any sugar if you want if you're using a sweet fruit, or you can use Agave Nectar or any sweetener you choose.

Anyway, your recipe sounds quite good and you could probably use 1 1/4 Cups or more of honey in place of the Splenda or sugar if you wanted the same good taste without the artificial stuff or sugar. The orange juice concentrate really does fill out the flavor as well.
    I'm going to print out your recipe and figure out the calorie count using honey! Or I may just use my jam recipe and add the apples and spices you used! Thanks for posting!

Pretty awesome that you've lost 42 pounds since January:happy: Keep moving along... sounds like you're doing great!
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    These sound great. I cant wait to try it.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I'll find my recipe for Cranberry- Orange Jam It could be adapted easily to a sauce, and it uses Honey, no Splenda or sugar. Very tasty and much better for you. I avoid Splenda like the plague. Sorry, But I'm a believer in the less processed foods, and definitely don't go for the artificial ones.:ohwell:

Nope it's not the best for you - but the point was to try and have some for thanksgiving that isn't high in calories. A cup and a half of honey like in your recipe adds 1440 calories. Gah! :)

And I've lost the 42 lbs since the end of May. I signed up in January but didn't start until the beginning of June. :-)
  • shariguymon
    Options
    True, that would add 120 calories per serving Whatever size that is. I guess honey seemed great to me because sugar would add 193 calories per serving in your recipe. I use a lot more water in my jam recipe and the servings are small, so it doesn't seem that Gah! to me the way I use it. So I guess it's just a matter of choice as to what we want for a one time deal. Anyway thanks for pointing out the differences to me, and continued success!:bigsmile:

I just noticed that your servings are 1/2 cup so that is a fairly large size. I probably wouldn't eat that much.