Does biking burn fat faster?

Right now I have a treadmill that I do power walking on (because I hate running, I burn out faster).
I'm leaving for college soon, where there's a gym I get to use for free. Would I burn more fat using the bikes than the treadmill or elliptical?

EDIT, based on feedback: I do believe I would push myself more on a bike than on the treadmill. Based on feedback, I'm thinking the most effective thing for me would be to do an elliptical warm-up followed by bike? Does that sound good?

Oh I guess I should add some background info: I'm not looking to lose a TON of weight.. I'm at a healthy weight, so at-most I could lose between 5-7 lbs. Otherwise I'm just looking to be/stay fit.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    I burn more calories on the bike than walking. But, if you're walking on a steep incline, that could be more. Basically, whatever gets your heart rate higher should be better.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    You burn fat eating in a calorie deficit.. Exercise is just to make your body look better.
  • xshortiex
    xshortiex Posts: 120 Member
    You burn fat eating in a calorie deficit.. Exercise is just to make your body look better.

But this is cardio, so wouldn't it help burn fat?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    .... but exercise can contribute to the production of the calorie deficit.

I burn most from running, then bike, then walking.

Hope that helps.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    If you're looking purely at calorie burn running will typically burn more given the same length of time.

The real question is which do you enjoy more. Doing exercise x rather than exercise y just for the calorie burn is a bad idea as you're less likely to stick with it. Exercise is not meant to be a chore, doing laundry is - think of exercise as play time.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member

Not if you are over estimating calories burned, no it wouldn't help burn fat.

Plus weight lifting does more for fat burn then cardio does.

I "burn" fat by lifting, running and eating at a deficit.
  • alisonlk
    alisonlk Posts: 15 Member
    Depends on the speed + intensity of the bikes. My "exercise of choice" is indoor cycling via cycling group fitness classes where I burn a ton of calories in a relatively short period of time (45-60 minutes). However, if you're talking about sitting on a recumbent bike and leisurely pedaling, I'd stick to the treadmill :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    None of them. All exercise burns calories. How many calories depends on the intensity. So pick one that you like versus which one you think is better. They're all the same, what matters is the effort you put in. Personally I like the elliptical because it's low impact and it's a good warmup to real exercise because you use upper and lower body.
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    The real question is which do you enjoy more. Doing exercise x rather than exercise y just for the calorie burn is a bad idea as you're less likely to stick with it. Exercise is not meant to be a chore, doing laundry is - think of exercise as play time.

this...

find something you like that makes your sweat and build up to do more and more of it and you wont have to worry about how many calories are involved and can concentrate on the eating side of the equation
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    the only good thing about stationary bikes is you can read textbooks while on them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    THIS 100X

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AmyB69
    AmyB69 Posts: 117
    I burn way more biking, and with weights.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    That's a toughie. For the same level of exertion, running will burn more calories than cycling, but it's easier to push yourself on a bike. A mix would be the best choice.

Out of the three, an elliptical will burn the most calories by far. I'll repeat my last statement: A mix is the best choice.
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    I used to go back and forth between bike and treadmill, bike always burned more for me, but lately I have added an incline on the treadmill and that just upped the burn on the treadmill higher than the bike and I enjoy it more so that is what I do along with my weight\strength training.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Get a jump rope. Better than either one and portable =)
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    For anyone who says no...take a look at my ticker. of course the first 6 months of riding i only lost 50 lbs and i wasn't dieting. Biking is a low intensity sport that is easy on your body. Its a great way to keep you HR up as long as you are pushing yourself just like any exercise. I burn on avg 1000-1200 cals an hr
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    I burn calories faster when running. But I can burn a lot more calories biking simply because I can do that for so much longer.
    I've done an 85 mile ride in the past. I estimate that to be about 2,500 kCals.....my longest run is about 3 miles, or about 300 kCals. Huge difference, but then again we're talking 5 hours verses 30 minutes. Extrapolate that calorie burn out for the same amount of time and it's over 3,000 kCals, but I can't run that long.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 985 Member
    cycling has gotten in in the best shape of my life, its awseom cardio and if u can go and really give 'er sh** then youre gonna hit some HIGH burns. theres lots of vids on youtube that u can follow along with, u gotta PUSHHHHHHH urself hard! ur gonna be a sweaty mess and ur gonna love it! i swear, give it 5 weeks, do at least 3hrs/wk...you'll see what im talking about :D
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member

Not if you are over estimating calories burned, no it wouldn't help burn fat.

Plus weight lifting does more for fat burn then cardio does.

I "burn" fat by lifting, running and eating at a deficit.

I think this is poor advice. You lose fat by burning more than you consume. The cardio is going to increase your calorie burn and increase your deficit. Weight lifting increases muscle mass which will increase BMR , but the amount of muscle you are going to build is minimal to zero especially when you are in caloric deficit. Further, it would take years of weight lifting to generate an amount of muscle mass that would make a real difference in your BMR.

The advice about picking what you enjoy is really the best and as you get better increase your duration and intensity.
  • xshortiex
    xshortiex Posts: 120 Member
    Thanks so much for the feedback, guys!
    I edited the original post and added some info - I really want to know what the best option for me would be.