In Progress...

Options
filatina85
filatina85 Posts: 85 Member
Almost six months ago. February 8th, 2012, to be exact. I remember eating at Las Casuelas Mexican Restaurant in Turlock with a couple of good friends, My and Maddy. We had just seen the movie "Women in Black" and decided to get some grub. I ordered what I thought was pretty healthy and small compared to many other things (Chicken quesadilla and a frozen margarita - just 1). As I waited on my food, I was snacking on chips and salsa and saw that My was on her cell phone on some silly app that she said she was using to log her food to count calories and what not. I kept it in the back of my mind, but moved on to another subject. After we all finished our meals, I got the sweet tooth attack that I usually get so I order a Fried Ice cream, without second thought.

Later that night, I was bored and remembered about the calorie-counting website that My swore by -- myfitnesspal.com (mfp). I decided to check it out and log my food for the day. I also logged the heavy, vigorous cleaning I had done earlier that day. I was astonished to find that the meal I had eaten earlier was about 1200 calories. Luckily though, the cleaning earned me an extra 500 calories so I did not go over my calculated calorie limit for the day (later though, I realized that "heavy,vigorous cleaning" was probably an exageration).

I thought it to be very interesting and from that day forward I decided to continue to track intake and exercise. Who woulda thought it would be a life-changing move? To this day, I continue to log everyday. Although I have missed some days due to vacation and what not, I try to go back and log everything that I can. At this point I have lost 30 lbs and hope to continue the weight loss to at least 30 more. I have been able to do this with implementing workouts where I can and counting calories. I did not use a gym, weight loss supplements, or specialized diets. Once I became dedicated to logging into mfp, I did however invest in some cute running shoes and workout clothes, followed by a fitbit ($100 retail) - which is a high-tech pedometer that keeps track of steps, distance, and even floor levels climbed each day. Most importantly, it tracked calorie burn so that I can easily calculate my deficit for the day (what I ate vs. what I burned). I was amazed how much I changed what I ate, just by having to be conscience of what I would eat. Don't get me wrong, I am not a clean eater or perfect by any means. I just have reduced portion sizes and stopped eating out of boredom. I have also tried to cut out fast food completely, but still give in once in a while, but know that I will have to workout to make up the calories.

Long story short... my life has changed and I hope to continue to strive to be the best that I know I can be, inside and out. It took a lot of self-motivation and commitment, but I could not have done it without my friend, My, who educated me and believed in me. Also, with our short-lived workout wednesdays with Cherry to jumpstart my working out (hope to start these up again soon, maybe a different day of the week though). As well as my dad and siblings that helped to push me run and also do family fitness days/events. Oh yeah, and who can forget the game Just Dance? Fun + Exercise in one! Mainly, the results have been what have been keeping me going. I have been consistently losing or staying the same each week ever since I started. I know that it has mainly been because I was very big to start with so now I am plateauing, but I just feel so good. My mood has just been better all around.

My fiance, has also been great moral support, but he has been through the worst and best with me. Even on my fattest of days, he never stopped telling me how beautiful I am...but that was also part of the problem, because I got too comfortable in my skin. I decided to make the change for my health and for the wedding (someday). Don't get me wrong, I love him to death, but I made this change for myself and just hope that I can inspire him (not that he really needs work, but just so that we can live long healthy lives and implement these habits for our future family).

Anyway, This is my 6-month testament, to continue to push myself and break through the plateaus. My sights for myself have never been higher. I know that I must not get too ahead of myself and that I will never have the model-esque body, but I just want to feel good and be prepared for physical field work that I hope to do in the future, hopefully as a wildlife biologist/zoologist. I want to be a healthy and strong mom one of these days. I want to be able to accomplish athletic events that I never envisioned in myself before.

I keep on thinking to myself that I want to be the old, skinny me, but no, that is not what I really want! I want to be a new Felicia with a new, adventurous outlook on life. I want to be fit, not skinny-fat like before, where I didn't have to work for it. I dunno if that made a lot of sense, but I know what I mean! So I will end the blog here and get up off my lazy butt. :)

School is starting again soon and I fear that I will have to hit the books = sit and study rather than workout, but I will continue to do what I can! I am proud of my progress and I will not allow myself to go backwards from here!:smile:

Before-after30lbslater2.jpg

Replies

• unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options
    Awesome story. I like that you're not on any "diet" or program, just making healthier choices when possible. That's what will make it a lifestyle change rather than having to fear what will happen when you go back to "normal". Congratulations on making a new normal for yourself.
  • katrinkap
    katrinkap Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    this is an amazing story! keep up the hard work! go for it!
  • hfzimmerman
    hfzimmerman Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Amazing great job!
  • Poemetra
    Poemetra Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Wow. You can really see the difference. I wish you the best at school. I know that you can do it. You look amazing so far. Keep it up!
  • yolandaDLT
    yolandaDLT Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love the before and after pics but wish they were bigger! Love ya! Keep it up sis.
  • filatina85
    filatina85 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) Thanks sis
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!