Whole Grain Pasta vs. Regular

Options
I was told whole grain pasta is better for you. I am reading the labels & whole grain pasta actually has .5 grams more fat. The only difference I am seeing is whole grain pasta has more fiber? Is it worth switching over?

Replies

• heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Well, in my experience whole grain is a LOT more filling. So you don't need the same amount to fill you up, and you stay full for longer :) I don't really think there's any significant difference in taste or texture, but I know some people do..
  • reojames
    reojames Posts: 96
    Options
    My wife only uses whole grain pasta. I love it! More fiber is best!!!
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Funny you should post now....I just finished approx 6 oz of cooked whole wheat pasta and added an organic marinara sauce. I can feel the pasta in my stomach. I am soooo full. I was shocked on the amount of fiber (18grams) in the whole wheat pasta. I'm going to make up a pasta salad this weekend and add a whole bunch of fresh veggies. I would VOTE for whole grain pasta!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    whole grain or wheat is better than white. No, really it is.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Try it and see! It's a matter of taste. I, personally, did not like the taste and am very happy with my regular pasta, but...to each his own.
  • RegalSeagull
    Options
    I think the fiber is the main difference. Fiber matters! Try the multigrain noodles. They taste a lot better than the whole wheat imo.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    Well, in my experience whole grain is a LOT more filling. So you don't need the same amount to fill you up, and you stay full for longer :) I don't really think there's any significant difference in taste or texture, but I know some people do..

I disagree on the texture. I noticed a big difference. I ended up switching back to regular. Totally worth a try though. You might find you like it. :smile:
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Fat and fiber are both good things.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I think the fiber is the main difference. Fiber matters! Try the multigrain noodles. They taste a lot better than the whole wheat imo.

I agree...the multigrain tasted better.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, whole wheat pasta tastes like crap.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    short answer, YES. more fiber = a happier colon and a fuller belly. people who incorporate whole grains into their healthy diets vs refined grains have shown to lose more belly fat too. yay. win.
  • tammyj83
    tammyj83 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Based on what I've read, whole grains are healthier than processed. Because of that, and because I don't notice a difference in taste or texture, I always choose whole grain pastas. This article is interesting: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/healthier-bowl-pasta
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I also think it has more vitamins and stuff.

Also, "low fat" isn't the same as "healthy".

And yeah, white tastes better. I go back and forth. I'm not convinced that the health benefits of wheat are worth the taste.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I also think it has more vitamins and stuff.

Also, "low fat" isn't the same as "healthy".

And yeah, white tastes better. I go back and forth. I'm not convinced that the health benefits of wheat are worth the taste.

Wheat isn't exactly a nutritional powerhouse anyway. If you're relying on it to meet your micronutrients, you're doing it wrong.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    They're something like 75% the same thing reguardless.
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I've been using whole grain or wheat pasta for over a year now. I don't have a problem with the taste and I think the added fiber is worth it. I'm a type 2 diabetic and I stopped with the white because it really spiked my blood sugar...wheat does not raise it as much. To be honest pasta has become a treat I have only once in awhile. I will not give it up.
  • jaj68
    jaj68 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I bought the whole grain pasta because my husband needs more fiber for a medical condition. He didn't like it and asked me not to buy it again. It didn't taste that bad to me. Anyhow....he told his dr. that he had eaten it....and she said..pasta is pasta.....leave the whole grain out of it...find your fiber another way.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Better fiber content, richer in iron and vit. B but that's pretty much it. I eat pasta once in a while and when I do, I favor taste over better nutritional stats.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    There is a bit of a taste difference in whole wheat pasta, but it still tastes like pasta. I am more full on whole grain. That's the only difference I see.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of whole grain pasta BECAUSE of the texture. But, I've noticed if I cook it a little longer than normal, the texture gets a little "noodlier" and more familiar tasting.