calories in fruit- to count or not to count?

Options

Replies

• StevenV84
    Options
    When I eat fruit I always count the calories I have consumed. What I found interesting though is that most diet programs don't count the natural sugar in fruit as part of your daily sugar recommendation. In other words, you don't have to count the sugar in an apple if you are trying to limit your sugar intake.
  • lisht13
    lisht13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The one thing I don't count is alcohol - i'm at uni which means quite a bit of social drinking!! I just get depressed and stressed out if I keep count of every gin and tonic I down in a night out - but I also make sure that I tell myself that if i'm not seeing results as fast as I want it's not counting the alcohol that's the problem so it's going to take me a little longer!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I count them, fruit can be high in calories!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Fruits have calories, so they need to be counted.

Of course, why wouldn't you? If you are trying to lose weight you need to count all calories!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I went to Weight Watchers and was told that new tests had been done on fruits and because of the way the body processed them they didn't need to be counted. They could only be eaten within reason. I still count them on mfp just in case.
    You were told ridiculous lies...
  • samhigh
    samhigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Of course you should count them.

The best approach is to limit fruit to immediately after exercise.

Fructose does weird things in the body including increased fat storage. I'm too lazy to link, but do a Google search and educate yourself.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If it passes your lips it should be logged. You could easily eat 400 or 500 cal a day in fresh fruit.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Count them. You still need to be at a deficit at the end of the day. WW doesn't give them points because they are lower in calories and higher in nutrition than many foods (that goes double for veggies), but I count them anyway. After all, a medium banana, an apple, and a cup of berries every day can add up to almost 200 calories - that's a significant amount if you're trying to lose.

I don't, however, worry about the sugar in the fruit. It puts me over, but I don't sweat it.
  • denisel321
    Options
    Whatever goes in my stomach gets counted.

Totally agree
  • indyang77
    indyang77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you should count them and pay close watch on the sugar. Yes it's natural and yes they are healthy but too much of a good thing is still too much and can hinder your weight loss. Sugar especially!
  • ladybug42122
    ladybug42122 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If they have calories- they need to be counted!
  • brittbonshor
    brittbonshor Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    if you're going to use mfp might as well log everything. however if you forget a nectarine, don't freak out, it's no biggie.
  • Robinsond61
    Options
    Yup. I count everything that goes in my mouth. :)

That's what she said. And yes, I count it all.
  • brittbonshor
    brittbonshor Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    its just about finding a balance. cause u can't obsess about counting things either to a point where it affects your life negetively. i can tend to get obsessive so my boyfriend asked me to quit mfp for awhile and now i'm back and using it less obsessively. i probably forget some fruit, but it's better than being crazy. so just depends on what works for u.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I like the, if you bite it write it comment. A calorie is a unit of heat your body burns to digest your food. If it's in your stomach your body is creating those heat units. AND.... counting them. It knows! :tongue: minor technical lesson. Googling is good for the whole thing.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Its called calorie counting for a reason. If it has calories and it goes in to your mouth, you count it.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    a banana has, what, about 100 calories? eat four of five of those a day and keep not logging it, I'd say it's gonna impact some stuff.
  • blaze1zanebrobst
    Options
    i didnt realize vegies and fruit had so many calories. i count it
  • Cms5227
    Cms5227 Posts: 13
    Options
    If you eat enough of ANYTHING you will gain weight. If you eat only lean meat, fruit, nuts and vegetables, you can gain weight. At the end of the day, your body knows calories in vs. calories out. Granted, if you eat 1200 calories worth of only gummi bears and you work out every day your body won't be too happy about it. But fruits definitely have calories, If you want MFP to work, put in everything you eat. I logged 3 almonds the other day. I had to google "how many calories are in 1 almond" but if you log it, you eat well, and keep count of EVERYTHING, I guarantee you won't regret it.
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've always counted them, and make room in my diet for them. What I don't bother about is trying to stay under in the sugar category when it comes to fruit.

MEEEEE TOOOOO! It seems unfair to count them as sugar when it is the natural stuff!:drinker: