Binge Eating Disorder

Options
So, I have BED and no one in my family takes it seriously. I've always been overweight and my addiction to food makes it almost impossible to lose weight. Any tips on how to recover from BED or to get it under control? I wish I could just quit cold turkey but my 'drug' is something you need to survive which makes it really hard :/

Replies

• k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    No ideas here but how did you know you had BED? I wonder if more people have that than realize it!
  • Ropiha601
    Options
    Stock up on a fat burner (i.e african mango), drink plenty of water and atleast 3 cups of green tea a day. This should help supress the appetite.

Eat whole foods with plenty of fiber to keep cravings at bay.

Hit the gym. Once you start seeing results from your nutrition and training then your mind will adjust.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Tell yourself no more. You have to stop, start eating healthier, and start looking at food as fuel, not a reward. See a therapist if you need to.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    My question to you would be whether you have only a problem with binge eating or if you have a bigger problem. I am recovered from an eating disorder that went on for 20 years. If I can help at all, you can message me privately.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    For me what heleped was doing cold turkey and completely throwing myself into the world of fitness. I basically eat, breathe, and sleep healthy living. Yes i have days where I fight the urge or days where I have a big cheat (usually in n out but now i feel proud instead of ashamed because its my 4th visit that week), but I have yet to have full on binge in over 2 months now. obviously i dont know how severe yours is but thats just the one thing that really helped me stay focused. Now i look at meeting my macronutrients as a challenge for the day to see if i can get enough protein and i feel REALLY good when I have a really good day. I would definitely consider talking to a mental health professional about your disorder though, I have and it really helps to put things into focus.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I feel like maybe I have a mild version of it, so I can sort of feel your pain. It's weird, because I am a super healthy eater, then I'll go through like 3 days once a month where I just eat like absolute crap... maybe it's because of my lady parts.. who knows... I've become a boredom eater too. I've noticed that when I get cravings when I know I shouldn't be hungry, and have tried all the appetite supresser tricks (caffeine, water, etc) I hit the gym. It totally gets my mind off of it. Then I'm in a health kick again, so if I'm still hungry I'll opt for carrots instead of carrot cake ;)
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Therapy!!!!!!!

(I'm a recovering bulimic, and really in the end, it's the same feelings and triggers as BED)

Eating disorders ARE NOT about food; there's more to it, and you have to attack the underlying causes. See a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. They are many out there, and many that will work with your health insurance. They can give you the skills needed to stop binges and then help you face your triggers and control your emotions so that you don't return to eating disorder behaviors. I'm sorry, but don't expect to get over-night cures for this -- especially over MFP. You will find a ton of support here though. :)

Good luck to you!
  • maryannmiclat
    maryannmiclat Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have been a binge eater for what seems like forever. I'm about to come up on my 60th day of binge free! What has helped me is s good support system. I also keep track of the days I don't binge and the day I hit my 60th I am going to reward myself with a slow cooker since I've been wanting on for a long time. I know its hard, trust me. Unlike drugs, tobacco or alcohol we need food in order to live and food just happens to be our drug of choice. Just set small goals for yourself. Feel free to add me if you want support.
  • kayleec2
    kayleec2 Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear of your struggles. There are 12-steps groups out there for BED and other eating disorders. Some times they are called over-eaters groups. You can use the 12 steps for any difficulty, and used in moderation they can really improve your life. If its extreme and creating disfunction you can probably work with any eating disorder clinic and get into a group or individual therapist (if you have the money/insurance to cover it). Whether it is a disfunction or a bad habit, you need to work on the underlying cognitive and emotional issues that are blocking your progress AND work on the behavior of eating at the same time. Good luck!
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Message me if you wish, I'm a recovering bulimic/binge eater.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I wud binge eat alot for a while (not a disorder for me) but even still it took WORK to quit doing it... Set small goals. For me i ate mostly at night....whole MEALS late at night. But i started of by saying, ok, no food once its 11pm, then 10pm, then 9pm and so forth until i had control of the situation. I pray about it and when cravings come to binge eat i wud distract myself, and others times i wud REMIND myself why i want to stop binge eating: IM OVERWEIGHT, i DNT like how i look....and on and on.... if u hve to sit infront of a mirror and eat to help then go ahead and do it. MOST IMPORTANTLY, DOOO NOOOT GIVE UP BECAUSE U GAVE IN ONE DAY. Wake up the next day and try and try until u hve it down...
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Almost forgot.. here's a post that I wrote not too long ago. It's one of the techniques that my psychologist told me about, and it's a place for you to start.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/637796-some-real-advice-for-bingeing?hl=real+advice+bingeing&page=3#posts-9333812
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    So, I have BED and no one in my family takes it seriously. I've always been overweight and my addiction to food makes it almost impossible to lose weight. Any tips on how to recover from BED or to get it under control? I wish I could just quit cold turkey but my 'drug' is something you need to survive which makes it really hard :/

Was the diagnosis made by a medical professional? One would think that he or she would be far better able to help you than a bunch of random strangers on the internet.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options

Was the diagnosis made by a medical professional? One would think that he or she would be far better able to help you than a bunch of random strangers on the internet.

Honestly talking to people online and on forums was very integral in my recovery after I quit therapy. If you don't have the right clinician working with you then it can be a big waste.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

I think she has, and is reaching out to other people to understand their experiences and what worked for them. Maybe that is even part of her therapy, to get in touch with others, or even join a group, with similar problems. And as she stated, her family isn't very supportive, so maybe they are not helping her and she's reaching for another support system, or maybe they are even denying her medical care for it. If she can get support here, there is no reason why she shouldn't take some advice from others recovering from BED. Some of these people are offering up really good advice, even for those who don't have a disorder. I think anyone who is overweight has struggled with not being able to control their urge for certain foods or indulging themselves...even those not overweight.
  • coalboilermanBryan
    Options
    I know for me, when I stopped eating breads, pasta, and anything that has sugar, or processed syrup, or fructose syrup, and started eating only whole grains, nuts, meats, My cravings went away. I used to look at a box of donuts and actually drool. I had to have one...then a second...then sometimes a third one! Now I can look at a box of donuts and say no thank you and walk away! It is amazing but takes will power for the first few weeks. You have to have self control and self discipline.

Bryan
  • goblynn
    goblynn Posts: 152
    Options
    I struggle with binge eating too. I can eat entire large pizza without even feeling hungry and then start looking for sweets. It is becauase of this I started MFP in the first place.

What has really helped me is logging EVERY SINGLE ITEM OF FOOD and weighing it to make sure I am not under estimating its size. The measuring cups and inexpensive kitchen scale are my comrads in this fight against unhealthy choices. I still make bad choices as this recovery isn't going to happen over night. But, what really helped me is seeing the weight calculator at the bottom of the food screen when you complete your diary for the day. It was eye opening to me that I could gain 15lbs in 5 weeks if I ate that way all the time (which is how I use to eat every day).

Another thing that has really helped me is just being HONEST with myself. On the days that I go to the guym and weigh myself (and don't like the number) it often crosses my mind not to enter the weight but then I think 'who am I trying to fool' put the damn weigh into the computer- you are only cheating yourself. This has really helped me become more aware of all the lies and justifications I have been telling myself for so many years.

Recently I have also started using the Food Notes section on the food page. Anytime I have a thought about food, or do something good or bad, or am thinking about food when I just ate a healthy meal and not hunting for me- I journal it. For me this has given me an outlet to release some of the stress/anxiety brought on by trying to prevent myself from binging.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you!!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    low carb has helped me considerably. the feeling when you're in ketosis is indescribable. it is a relief to not be consumed by food.

i'm the type of person where i'm not happy unless i'm eating, and on low carb i can eat all day and get stuffed and eat some more! half the time i don't want to though. it really has improved my quality of life. a lot less cravings, appetite has dwindled, less anxiety/depressed/insomnia etc.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    also, you're only 16. there are websites for children, and i don't think MFP is one of them.
    whether your parents want to accept it or not, you need to see a doctor.
  • katie_30
    katie_30 Posts: 14
    Options
    I knew when I tracked my binge days (while trying to change into a healthy lifestyle) and saw that in July I binged over 20 days. The only way I think to explain it is it's like having to get a fix if your a drug addict to smoke a cig if you're a nicotine addict. It's like, I get these super crazy intense cravings and eat everything. I could be having diarrhea from eating so much that my stomach can't take it and still eat.