C25K Question

Options
How do you know if you are ready to start the next week of the program? I just finished Week 1. Everything I've ready says not to push yourself and repeat a week if needed. I just don't know how to tell if starting week 2 would be pushing myself too much. Day 3 was easier than day 1, but it still wasn't easy. I just can't decide what I should do. Help please!

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    If I were you I would move on to week 2 and give it a shot- what do you have to loose? I did Couch to 5k over the summer and it wasn't easy, but I was able to push myself and get through every week wtihout repeating. Some people- many people- on here have repeated and have been just as successful in completing the program. You're going to have to push yourself, as it's not going to be easy, just make sure you know your limits Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    You can always try Week 2 and see how it goes. You do have to push yourself on some level to get through it. You can't expect to get there without a little push. :tongue: Usually the beginning of the week is hard and the end is a lot easier, but not easy, for me. I am going to be finishing Week 4 on Friday. :smile:
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies!! That's what I needed to hear. I don't mind pushing myself. I just wasn't sure what "too much" was. I've never done anything like this before. :blushing:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Crystal, I think you'll be able to tell if you've pushed yourself enough. It's different for everyone. And remember, the program is not set in stone. You should feel free to repeat any weeks or days that you feel necessary. I did week 1 twice but the rest of the weeks I only had to do one time each. You'll be surprised at how you can continue each week. It's a great program. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • CrystalT
    Options
    I wasn't ready for Week 1 when I tried it the first time, I only made it through half of it. I created my own Week 0 to ease myself in. After that, I could finish Week 1. I just wasn't sure how easy Week 1 should be before moving on. I'll try Week 2 and see how I do. If it is too tough, I'll step it back. Thanks everyone!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    That's the great thing about running. If you try something and you're not ready for it....the worst that can happen is you have to walk back to wherever you started.

(Well, there's a lot fo things that can happen to you running, but those dangers are there when walking too)
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Sometimes too, Crystal, you psyche yourself out. I know I am scared to do Week 5 next week, but because of all the running I have been doing I should be okay and just need to add an extra push. I will admit, in the last minute of the last run on Week 4 I start to get nauseated, but that's because I push myself really hard. So, I can only imagine that it's benefiting me for Week 5.

Mind over matter, is mostly what it's about for stepping into the next week. At least that's what I have found. I am only one week away from a full 20 minute run. That is pretty scary. And the multiple 5 minute runs and 8 minute runs this coming week. But, I know I can do it! :drinker:
  • CrystalT
    Options
    I did it!!! I did it!!! I did it!!!

Stephy, it is almost kind of ironic that you mentioned getting nauseated. I was feeling so good as I finished the last run, really proud of myself for doing it. :happy: I stepped back down to a fast walk and almost immediately got nauseated. :sick: I managed not to get sick, thank God!! It is raining here, so I was running on the treadmill at the gym. I would have been terribly embarrased to have to jump off the treadmill and run to the nearest trash can!!! I'm not going to let it slow me down. I'm going to keep right on with Week 2. I'm sure the 2nd day will only be easier!!! :bigsmile:

Thanks for your support everyone!! I'm still trying to convince myself that some day I'll actually be able to run a 5K. It seem so far away from where I am now. I just have to have faith in myself that I'll get there. :flowerforyou: