Question on saturated fats

Options
Can anyone help me with this? If I don't eat back all my exercise cals, say I have 1/5 total cals left, but I've reached or exceeded my saturated fat amount for the total cals, is this bad? Do I need to be stricter with my fats? I have my macros set at 50/30/20 (carbs, proteins, fats) & sturated fat at 7% of total cals. I am choosing my foods very carefully but the fats just aren't balancing with the carbs & proteins. Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Part of the problem with finding definitive information on saturated fats is that there are around 20 different triglycerides that are classified as "saturated fat," and long, short, and medium chain triglycerides are all metabolized differently.

To answer your question, I thinks its a minor detail not worth worrying about: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/FireBrand80/view/saturated-fat-and-missing-the-forest-for-the-trees-368484
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Take a fish oil supplement to help counteract some of the saturated fats you're eating. The Omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil will help with your free lipid levels in your blood and help give you a healthier ratio of good lipids to bad.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Part of the problem with finding definitive information on saturated fats is that there are around 20 different triglycerides that are classified as "saturated fat," and long, short, and medium chain triglycerides are all metabolized differently.

To answer your question, I thinks its a minor detail not worth worrying about: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/FireBrand80/view/saturated-fat-and-missing-the-forest-for-the-trees-368484

I liked your blog. Makes sense. And I am referring to a very small amount anyway. Thanks for your response.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Take a fish oil supplement to help counteract some of the saturated fats you're eating. The Omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil will help with your free lipid levels in your blood and help give you a healthier ratio of good lipids to bad.

I've been taking fish oil supplements for over 10 years. Thank you for the info though.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Well, then unless you're having problems with high cholesterol, I wouldn't worry about it. Fat isn't bad for you, even saturated fat, as long as you balance it out and eat healthy foods - which it seems like you do.