Runners - why do you race?

Options
meerkat70
meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
I'm a really slow runner, so I know I'm never going to be a strong performer in races. But I've enjoyed the handful of races that I have done.

The main reason I sign up for a race is that it keeps me focused, and supports my day by day, week by week running, giving some structure to my training plan, and exerting a nice amount of pressure to push myself forward. I'm not very competitive, but I do enjoy the experience of being *in* a race, with lots of other runners.

Why do you participate in races?

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    fancy doing the park run on saturday?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    At first, it was a social thing, because I was running with my brother and his daughter. But they've lost interest, it's not such a social thing anymore. Sometimes it's because it's a charity I feel strongly about. But mostly, it's because it's the only time I can tell how fast I can really run, since I run much better with competition.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    fancy doing the park run on saturday?

I'm away, but I could do next weekend. :-)
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    At first, each race was a stepping stone to increase my distance.
    Now it's just to be working towards something.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    To challenge myself. I know that I will never finish first, but I also know I probably won't finish last. It's all for me. I push myself harder in that type of setting.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I race because I need a goal for training otherwise it lacks structure. Preparing for a race provides a challenge in my every day workouts.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm a really slow runner, so I know I'm never going to be a strong performer in races. But I've enjoyed the handful of races that I have done.

The main reason I sign up for a race is that it keeps me focused, and supports my day by day, week by week running, giving some structure to my training plan, and exerting a nice amount of pressure to push myself forward. I'm not very competitive, but I do enjoy the experience of being *in* a race, with lots of other runners.

Why do you participate in races?
    This might as well have been my answer! :laugh:

I'm not fast but I really enjoy the race experience so I keep training for the next race.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    In 2005 my best friend and I got drunk and signed up for a marathon. I absolutely fell in love with it. It keeps me in shape, keeps me sane, and keeps me focused. I keep on re-evaluating what I think my best time could be. I want to break 3:10 eventually, but then I'll probably want to see if I can break 3 hours. If I ever hit that, I think I would be happy jogging them for the rest of time :)
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    It keeps me motivated to improve and helps me set concrete goals that I'm actually compelled to reach when I've paid money to be in a race. Plus it's usually a fundraiser for a good cause, and that's something I'm supposed to do for work anyway.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I run for the social aspect, to run in a place I have never run before and I also find it helps me improve my time.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It gives me a goal to work towards. I keep pushing for longer distance races each time. I also throw in some fun ones too like the color ones or the foam one I hope to do.
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    THE T-SHIRTS!! That and my pace is usually way better at races :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For the t-shirts!

Seriously though, it gives me a way of measuring my improvement (or lack thereof) over time and a reason to train in a somewhat structured manner. I also really enjoy the social aspect of racing, you never know who you're going to be standing beside in the corral waiting for the gun to go off.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I do the 5k park run on saturday and it seems like hell when doing it but feels so much better at the end and we all have a great ome
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I do the 5k park run on saturday and it seems like hell when doing it but feels so much better at the end and we all have a great ome

^^ ^^ the man who inspired me to run :-)
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Keeps me from getting lazy. When I know I have a race coming up I log a lot more miles to prep for it. And I love running with a crowd/strangers :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    It's all about performance for me. I'm highly competitive and in the beginning, racing gave me the opportunity to compete against myself and previous race times. Now, after years of hard work, I've gotten to the point where I can compete with other runners in my AG for top spots in some of the smaller races. This really makes it exciting, especially when you start to see the same faces and know they are your competition.

There is also the draw of the marathon, a distance that is just like no other I have raced. The ultimate marathon goal is to qualify for Boston. To toe the line there as a legitimate qualifier is a really big deal to me. We'll see how that plays out this Fall.
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I race for the competion between both myself and the clock and the other runners. Racing gives me a goal and a reason to train. I want to become a faster and better runner.

Also, it's just fun! Being around all the people and the exitement.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    For the swag and the raffle prizes!! LOL! Nah, more for the push to get an accurate measurement of my running abilities under pressure. For the longer distances I do it for the experience and for the bling that says I did it!
  • BodybyPlants
    BodybyPlants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Adrenaline Junky and Type A Personality that just has to keep bettering myself...