Spaghetti squash recipes?

Options
profgal43
profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
Someone posted a yummy sounding recipe for spaghetti squash alfredo. I thought I'd put this out there and see what others are doing with spaghetti squash...you know, recipe wise :)

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    what is that like? never had it any good?
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash. My favorite way to eat it is to use it instead of spaghetti noodles. I just top it with spaghetti sauce and a little parmesan cheese. Chock full of vitamins A and C, too!
  • shelley2shane
    shelley2shane Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash, I eat it with a little salt and butter or I make it like regular spaghetti ( sauce and meat ). I love using it in place of noodles for any pasta dish- it saves soooo many calories and is still delish :)
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    I compost most of my kitchen scraps (including the guts from squash) and this year I had a couple of spaghetti squash and acorn squash grow out of my compost pile. These freebie volunteers were probably the most productive plants in my garden!

Usually I just slice them in half, scoop out the guts, and zap them in the microwave for 10 minutes. I serve them with a little butter, cinnamon and agave nectar (or honey). Yummmmmm
  • profgal43
    Options
    I have had it with sauce and parmesan and liked it a lot. I'm learning to love so many new foods!
  • profgal43
    Options
    Ooh, that sounds good Scott! Thanks!
  • KLB960
    KLB960 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Substitute half regular pasta and the squash with your favorite sauce. Recipe: LASAGNA IN A BOWL (from a low carb website)

1 lb of ground meat (beef, turkey, chicken) cooked and drained (makes 6 servings)
    per serving:
    1/3 c ricotta cheese
    1/2 c sugar free spaghetti sauce (I just use my favorite)
    1/4 c shredded mozzarella cheese
    2 tbls parmesan cheese
    1 c cooked spaghetti squash

layer in a bowl season with salt & pepper to taste
  • punkypants
    Options
    I LOVE to eat it as noodles, yum just thinking about it makes me want some.
  • BiGGiE76
    BiGGiE76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I cook it in olive oil w/ a little kosher salt, black pepper & a tiny bit of lemon pepper (for zing)...then top it with Tyson's fully cooked chicken breast strips (bit of salt & pepper on this as well). Also sometimes I throw in some chopped raw mushrooms to cook w/ the chicken.
  • JuliePleasant
    JuliePleasant Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sounds good
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    If you have room for some butter you can make a pretty good desert out of it just by baking it with some butter and cinnamon. Other than that I just use it in place of noodles for pretty much anything. When we have Italian, and I've made some stir fry out of it too.
  • profgal43
    Options
    Great ideas. thanks all!
  • mrsmark2010
    Options
    I made a spaghetti squash pizza pie last week. It didn't hold up like a real crust, it might have needed an egg for a better binder.

1 spaghettti squash cooked and out of skin/shell
    1 oz light cream cheese
    1/3c parm cheese
    1-2 cloves of garlic
    **probably should add an egg or egg beater to help it hold together**
    Mix above together and put in a pie crust, bake for about 10min at 350 to make a "crust"

When it comes out, add pizza sauce and your toppings of choice. I had turkey pepperoni, yellow pepper and black olives, with mozzerella cheese of course.

Cook for another 10-15min then let cool a little before cutting serving.
  • midcenturymodern69
    Options
    I really like it with homemade marinara sauce. It's all veggies and only around 100 calories for 1 1/4 cup of the spaghetti squash and 1/2 cup of marinara sauce.

Here's the recipe:

Spaghetti squash: pierce with a knife 8 to 10 times around the squash and microwave for 5 minutes, turn it over and microwave for another 7 to 10 minutes. It will be soft and kind of caving in. Cut in half, scoop out the seeds gently, then use a fork to remove the "spaghetti" from inside the squash and throw away the outer skin.

Homemade marinara sauce:
    Small onion
    Diced carrots
    Fresh garlic clove
    Italian seasoning blend, 2 tsp.
    **2-15 or 16 oz. cans diced or crushed tomatoes (diced if you like it chunky like I do, or crushed if you like it smooth)

Dice onion and carrots, spray with canola cooking spray and saute in pan for 3 to 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and Italian seasoning blend and cook for another minute until you can smell the garlic. Add canned tomatoes, reduce heat to simmer, cover and simmer for as long as you can stand it. It can be simmered for a couple of hours if you like or just 20 minutes but the flavors won't be as intense. (You can also make it in the crock pot). I didn't add salt because my canned tomatoes already had it in them. **You'll have leftover sauce if you use two cans of tomatoes. Use only one if you don't want leftovers.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Cook the spaghetti squash as above and pull out the strands.

Sautee some spinach in a little butter/evoo along with a crushed clove of garlic, add some ribbons of asparagus and/or courgette (zuchinni) (ribboned using a veg peeler lengthways) and sautee for a further 1-2 mins. Add a dollop of good green pesto and mix through.

Mix the green pestoey spinachy goodness through the spaghetti squash and top with parmesan (or mozarella/cheddar/goats cheese...)

Enjoy!
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    I cut the spaghetti squash in half and bake it in about an inch of water for about a half hour.
    Then I scoop out the seeds. Then I use a fork to pull out the strands.
    I toss them in a skillet with a little extra virgin olive oil or butter, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and salt and pepper and saute them. Then I sprinkle shaved or grated parmesan cheese on them and serve them with a sunnyside egg on top so that the yolk becomes a sauce. It's very delicious.
  • KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    Options
    I LOVE the stuff! now i know what im having for dinner!!!!!!!!!
  • jeserf
    jeserf Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've used it as a bed for vegetarian taco filling (made with morningstar crumbles) - it bulks it up without added calories and adds a nice sweetness.

I also like it with pesto or cherry tomatoes that I roast with garlic.

I think you can also use it as a "topper" - in the fall, I'm going to make veggie shephard's pie and top it with spaghetti squash instead of potato. There's a lot of water in it, so I'll probably drain it for a bit.

I like the idea of adding shaved zucchini!
  • rhart150
    rhart150 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I make chicken vegtable soup and toward the end of the cooking time. I add the cooked spagetti squash. It adds a noodle like texture and is yummy.

I also use it in a mexican dish:

Cook the spagetti squash until done with olive oil and seasonings .

1 medium sweet or red onion, diced
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    Cumin and chili powder, to taste
    1 cup ripe and juicy grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
    1 14-oz. can black beans, rinsed, drained well
    Two whole roasted green chiles, mild or spicy, seeded, chopped
    1 lime - for zest, and juice
    2 ears of fresh corn, kernels cut off [or try a red bell pepper, diced] optional
    feta optional

Instructions:

Heat a splash of olive oil in a large skillet . Add the onion, garlic, corn kernels(optional) and spices; stir for five minutes until the onion has softened. I don't use the corn or any cheese and I use the microwave and oven it to reduce the oil needed.

Meanwhile, when the squash is cool enough to handle: take a fork and scrape the squash, making spaghetti-like strands.

You can assemble the ingredients in a casserole-style baking dish and bake it - or you can do it all on the stove-top in the large skillet.

If you're going to bake it - toss the squash strands into a large mixing bowl. Add a little of your best olive oil to moisten. Season with more sea salt and pepper. Sprinkle in some added cumin or chili powder, if you like, to taste. Toss well. Add the skillet mixture, tomatoes, black beans, green chiles. Combine. Grate a lime and add the zest. Cut and squeeze the lime juice all over the mixture and toss lightly.

Pour the mixture into a casserole style baking dish. Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven until heated through - about 20 to 25 minutes.

If you'd rather do it up in a skillet, add the squash to the skillet mixture, and stir in the remaining ingredients, as above. Cover and gently heat through over medium heat - roughly five to ten minutes.

Serve with a sprinkle of fresh chopped cilantro and some lime wedges.
  • profgal43
    Options
    Thanks so much all! Gonna try all of these! Mmm, the pesto one made my mouth water. I love pesto in the summer but have missed it this summer since I'm not eating pasta. You saved me :)