exercise after eating

Options
Does anyone know if it makes a difference if a person exercises right after a meal, and with a full stomach.

Replies

• Jesse2themaxx
    Options
    I'm not too sure myself, but I have a similar question. What time of day would be best to exercise?? Anyone have an idea?
  • scarecrow41
    Options
    Excercise right after a meal can lead to indigestion as the process shuts down during excercise. As you can guess this can lead to multiple problems.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Do whatever works for you. If you exercise after you eat and feel fine, then it's ok for you to do it. If you exercise on an empty stomach and feel fine, then it's ok for you to do. It all burns the same amount of calories.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    We usually come home hungry, eat a light dinner, let it settle for an hour and then go do our 30 minute circuit routine. If it's a weights day I'll also do my weights routine and supplement with a protein shake. Then after exercise and cooldown another little snack, nothing heavy or carb-y, and a little downtime before bed.

Whatever works for you. I know I couldn't really work out on the kinds of big full stomach I used to have - but 1/2 hour after the lighter meals we're eating nowadays is no problem.
  • shyla11
    shyla11 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    hard on the digestion i think wait at least 20 min but do not go more than a hour without eating as the body likes to think it is too hungry, eat something light if that does not work for you try a yogurt fat free of course after a workout that is easy on the digestion
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if it makes a difference if a person exercises right after a meal, and with a full stomach.

Could make you sick. My trainer wants me to eat 2-3 hours before a workout.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    my trainer says eat a small snack an hour before to help your body burn more calories and then eat some protein afterwards to help heal your muscles. :wink:
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I usually wait about an hour after I eat before I go exercise. I've found in the past if I work out right after eating (especially if its a big meal) that I get stomach cramps and can't workout to my full potential.

Everyone is different though, so whatever works best for you, stick with it!