So Despondent

Options
I had spent much of July trying to eat healthy and go to the gym everyday, and only saw the scale go up. I realize that it could have been "muscle weight" but it got me really quite despondent about it. I visited friends one weekend, and now for the past two weeks or so I have avoided the gym and been eating terribly, and ive been really negative about my weight and my body. I cant seem to snap out of it. I keep making excuses: why eat healthy when its your birthday in days, youll eat terribly. Youre visiting friends after that, so youll still eat bad. I need help to break this and get motivated. This summer has just been the opposite of what I had hoped for. =(

Replies

• MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It's gotta come from you. Only you can change it. Dig deep and get in the game!
  • lcn1220
    lcn1220 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I had spent much of July trying to eat healthy and go to the gym everyday, and only saw the scale go up. I realize that it could have been "muscle weight" but it got me really quite despondent about it. I visited friends one weekend, and now for the past two weeks or so I have avoided the gym and been eating terribly, and ive been really negative about my weight and my body. I cant seem to snap out of it. I keep making excuses: why eat healthy when its your birthday in days, youll eat terribly. Youre visiting friends after that, so youll still eat bad. I need help to break this and get motivated. This summer has just been the opposite of what I had hoped for. =(

Think you need to interrupt this negative dialogue in your head about your weight and how you view yourself. What would you say to a friend who has the same thoughts in his/her head? Practice forgiveness and learn to be kind to yourself.

A little perspective: your birthday is just one day, hanging out with friends is likely a meal or two. In the long run it doesn't really impact what you're trying to do here. So you didn't have an awesome July, you still have the rest of August. Plan around the days you know you're going to be off your diet or exercise schedule. If you've been dodging the gym for one reason or another, forgive it and start going again. Learn from the past, yes, but don't dwell on it. None of it is actionable. All you really have is right now, today. And instead of beating yourself up over your "failings" yesterday or hitting the self destruct button with food, look to each day as a new opportunity to get things right.

Hang in there and keep trying.