How do you get rid of dark circles under your eyes?

Options
2»

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    hard candy concealer.
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with this since I was only 20 or so. I have horrible allergies too. Nothing seems to help other than finding good concealers. Out of the bazillion I've tried, Bare Escentuals concealer and Benefit Boi-ing are the best I've found. Other than that, I know that often dark circles are caused by lack of fat under the eyes, and the thin skin showing the veins underneath. Only solution for that is fat injections.
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Chances are it is due to a food allergy. Wheat or dairy is usually the culprit. It would be worth checking out.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Honestly you can't get rid of them. They can be hereditary, and get worse with lack of sleep, low iron, and dehydration. There's also something called periorbital hyperpigmentation which is just essentially more melanin is produced around your eyes.

You can use makeup for coverage (I have quite a few tricks) and just keep hydrated. I get them too :c

(I work in the skin care industry and I get this question ALL the time).
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    For people that have had them all their lives or since they were very young that is because sometimes it is just genetic to have a different coloration to the under eye skin. So, I wouldn't worry about it. Just take care of yourself and your allergies. And don't use any products that are irritating or cause your allergies to get worse.
  • scriehl
    scriehl Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Mine get like that when I drink or eat foods with cow's milk. Cheese not so bad and even ice cream. Straight white juice and my face looks a mess the next day. Not to mention, I'm doubled over in pain.

So it may not be airborne or skin allergies, it could be food.

Totally agree. I think there is a link between consuming dairy and allergies (the stuffy nose can't breathe kind of allergies). I normally get terrible seasonal allergies and have for many years up until this year when I cut out cows milk. I have hardly had a problem this Summer. I still eat yogurt and cheese sometimes. Cutting dairy down made a significant difference for me.
  • giadatje
    giadatje Posts: 59
    Options
    I have had dark circles all my life. The doctor said that the skin near my eyes is so thin that you can see the capillaries through the skin. So the blood that irrigates the eyes is what actually causes the dark circles. At least in my case.

So far the best remedy I found is to use a concealer. The only one that works for me is MAC Cosmetics. It's quite expensive ($20) but one stick lasts for more than 1 year and I use it every single day. The trick is to choose the right color. Everybody told me to choose a color lighter than my skin but I was unhappy with the result. So I choose the same color of my skin, if not slightly darker and it covers the dark circles perfectly. Even on those days that are so hot and I decide to don't wear any other make-up (that otherwise will melt).

Btw, my husband and I made up a funny name for the dark circles. We call them the panda eyes :laugh:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    If I put a cool washcloth on them, the capillaries shrink up. Other than that I use clinique concealer, and loose powder to seal it
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Apart from staying hydrated and making sure that I get my daily iron intake (via diet rather than pills) I have found some vitamin K cream helps a lot.

I use NeoStrata Bionic Eye Cream. As a bloke this is my one 'product'. ;)

Smoking and alcohol is also bad news if you are prone to dark circles, anything that thins the blood or screws around with it generally should be avoided.

My 7 year old gets them too so I'm fairly sure there is some genetics in there too, either that or she is on the *kitten* and sauce ;)
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Definitely hereditary, some ethnicities have them more than others. But if you notice they are worse than usual, it's probably an imbalance or allergy of some kind, as many have said already. They can also indicate kidney issues (UTI perhaps?) as well, which ties in to the hydration thing. There is a tasteless supplement powder called D-Mannose that is great for flushing impurities from the kidneys and urinary tract. You just mix a teaspoon or two into a glass of water (while drinking LOTS of plain water as well) for a few days. Otherwise, I second taking an Iron supplement and the Tarte concealer is awesome!
  • panthra
    panthra Posts: 32
    Options
    Wow, I didn't expect such a big response to this question. I really do appreciate all of the help though. I never thought about cow's milk being an issue. Thanks again
  • barbaramory
    barbaramory Posts: 10
    Options
    Some natural remedies to get rid of dark circles.

• Teaspoons – Help reduce swelling in the eyes.
    • Ice-milk cotton pads – This tip, said to brighten the whites of your eyes, is very popular in Europe. First, soak cotton pads in a dish of ice-cold milk and squeeze most of the liquid out. Then, place the pads on your eyes. As they warm, repeat this process (for about 20 minutes).
    • Aloe vera the wonder remedy for a genre of disease is a good natural remedy.
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options
    I had such bad dark circles people would be genuinely concerned, thinking I had got in a fight and gotten black eyes! XD I started drinking a lot more water and moisturising that area, plus I often relaxed in the mornings/evenings for ten minutes with ice, cold tea bags or cucumber slices on my eyes. Now they've almost disappeared!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Sticking an ice cube on your dark circles for a few seconds will instantly help because it will constrict the blood vessels. It's super short term, but would be good for a job interview or picture taking.

I spend a little extra money on a good concealer and use a fine powder to set it.

Also, keep in mind that you probably notice them more than anyone else :)