Help understanding bloodwork - low hormones

Options
Hi There -- I just got my bloodwork back from my physician and the lab and I will be going in to review with her as soon as I can get an appointment, but she had circled a few "red flags" and I was wondering if anyone can help me make sense of it so I don't drive myself crazy. :smile:

Tests done:
TSH + Free T4;
CBC with differential / platelet;
comp metabolic panel (12), Testosterone, Free and Total;
LDL Cholesterol (Direct), Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy;
Estradiol,
Cholesterol, Total; Vitamin B12

Red Flags:
Testosterone, Free and Total (she said "Low")
Testosterone, Serum -- 6 ng/dL (Low) -- Reference Interval 8--48
Free Testosterone (Direct) <.2 pg/mL (Low) -- Reference interval 0.0 -- 2.2
Estradiol -- 62.9 pg/mL (Low normal) (I was tested during Luteal Phase)
Vitamin B12 -- 429 pg/mL (Low normal)
Vitamin D -- 33.4 ng/mL (Low normal)

Replies

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help. I know how frustrating it can be waiting for info from your doctor. I guess one thing you could do immediately is take some B12 and Vitamin D. Good luck!
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegan or vegetarian? B12 deficiency can occur if you are...carnivores get it from eating meat. Do you drink milk, or milk substitues? Usually they are all fortified with both D and B12. I take a sublingual B12 and Vitamin D supplements (I'm a vegetarian). Low D can make you feel like crap...depression, etc. My great grandmother had Pernicious Anemia, which means her body couldn't process B12 and she had to have shots for it (not to scare you, it usually runs in the family, so ask if there is a history of it). I can't help with the Testosterone...only to say that I had mine checked because if it is low it can affect your libido :blushing: . I'm sure you'll get some good answers, but call your MD tomorrow and ask!!
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think the "red flags" are actually normal, but she wants to walk through them with you. With age, it's absolutely normal for women to drop in estrogen (and estrogen derivatives: ex., estradiol) and testosterone. The drop in testosterone is why it becomes harder to maintain muscle mass, for example. So, your (relatively) low normals are to be expected, to some degree. I'm assuming that your pre-menopausal, so there is no need to worry about hormone replacements or anything like that! So, just get in touch and book your next appt, but I wouldn't expect that her words will be too discouraging. In fact, it's great that you're not hypo or hyper thyroid: )
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hey there! So as far as "low normal" it means you are at a L or CL level. In a lab we are required to flag anything below normal reference range, even if it's by .1 Your levels can also be depending on many different factors including stress, fasting, fevers, lack of sleep etc. I wouldn't worry, especially if your COMP and CBC came back fine. I deal with many people every day who are worried the second they see anything beyond the reference ranges. Don't worry, yourscould be "normal" for your body. anything CL or CH wouldn't be good, but yours seem alright! Hope this helps....

*lab tech assistant :)

also, you can be retested by a reference lab to confirm and get more in depth results! It can be more expensive but if you have insurance it would be covered.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Hey there! So as far as "low normal" it means you are at a L or CL level. In a lab we are required to flag anything below normal reference range, even if it's by .1 Your levels can also be depending on many different factors including stress, fasting, fevers, lack of sleep etc. I wouldn't worry, especially if your COMP and CBC came back fine. I deal with many people every day who are worried the second they see anything beyond the reference ranges. Don't worry, yourscould be "normal" for your body. anything CL or CH wouldn't be good, but yours seem alright! Hope this helps....

*lab tech assistant :)

also, you can be retested by a reference lab to confirm and get more in depth results! It can be more expensive but if you have insurance it would be covered.

Thank you SO much. It's really great to hear the inside scoop!