Barefoot or Minimal Shoe Trend

Options
I just read this article about barefoot running/lifestyle and I'm wondering what y'all think of this trend. Alot of it makes sense and it was really big at my university but I'm wondering if I should buy into it. I've heard lots of people like the New Balance Minimus shoe or the Vivo barefoot shoes. I am flat footed and my mom has allllllways yelled at me to wear good tennis shoes to get good arch support but this article is saying exactly opposite, that the extra padding, non flexible sole, etc causes our feet to not function like they were intended to function. It's a long article but a good read. So what are y'alls opinions? Sound off!

http://nymag.com/health/features/46213/index5.html

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    The arch supports that are put into tennis shoes are generally trash so I always toss them and buy new ones. I always invest in good insoles from stores like Happy Feet or The Walking Company. They can measure your foot and give you an appropriate fitting to an insole which will really kick butt. The Scholl's stuff never worked for me. My favorite insoles are from The Walking Company. By the way, get fitted for the insole THEN buy the shoes. Some shoes are really narrow and you'll discover the insole won't work with them. I guess I believe in good shoes paired with great insoles.

As for running barefoot, I've heard various things and I think it really depends on whether you are experiencing foot pain. I can't even imagine running barefoot as my feet would scream in agony. I've got flat feet but I also have heel pain. I developed shin splints one year from aerobics on a gym floor which makes me paranoid about not protecting my feet so I'd say it depends on the condition of your feet.
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Bump. I ordered a pair of the New Balance Minimus-- they get delivered tomorrow. I don't know too much about the barefoot vs. supportive sneaker argument, but the structured sneakers I got from a reputable local running store are causing me some pain. Figured I'll give the barefoot thing a try-- hopefully less is more in this case, although I hear you have to introduce them into your running routine slowly. Would love to hear from someone who has tried both styles.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I don't like the way they make my knees and legs feel. I typically don't walk on my heels anyway, so I thought these would slide right into my stride.

Not for me, but I had to try.
  • InvidiaXII
    Options
    Bump!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have the Vibram 5-finger shoes. I haven't used them in a while but when I was using them consistently on my runs I liked them. They were light weight and felt more natural on my feet.

With that said the only issue that I had was pain in the ball of my foot because I'm a mid-foot/toe striker.
  • spartacus69
    Options
    Do you think there's a reason New Balance includes this warning with their Minimus shoes?

"Caution: This product increases the strain on the foot, calf, and Achilles tendon. Overuse of this product or use of activities outside running and walking may increase the risk of sustaining injury. This product should be introduced *slowly* into a running exercise routine. New Balance recommends limiting initial use to 10% of overall running workouts and very gradually increasing time and distance."

I do own a pair of Minimus shoes and think they are very comfortable and great for working out (weight lifting, indoor cardio.) I'm not a runner, so I can't comment on that.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I do do Zumba and I went to Capezio and bought a pair of their dance exercise shoes that have flexible soles. It is a lot more comfortable wearing these shoes than sneakers to do Zumba.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Going to the new balance minimus solved my knee and ankle issues when running.
    Though getting used to them took a few weeks of soreness.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Do you think there's a reason New Balance includes this warning with their Minimus shoes?

"Caution: This product increases the strain on the foot, calf, and Achilles tendon. Overuse of this product or use of activities outside running and walking may increase the risk of sustaining injury. This product should be introduced *slowly* into a running exercise routine. New Balance recommends limiting initial use to 10% of overall running workouts and very gradually increasing time and distance."

I do own a pair of Minimus shoes and think they are very comfortable and great for working out (weight lifting, indoor cardio.) I'm not a runner, so I can't comment on that.

No because it's actually true. Running in those kinds of shoes is very different then running in regular sneakers. The movement is different as is the feeling and you will be more sore after wards because you're engaging muscles that aren't engaged in regular shoes. When I started running in mine I was told to only do 10 minutes until I got used to them.
  • emilymnyc
    Options
    I have the NB Minimus, and am also flat footed.

It takes some time to get used to running in them, especially if you've been running in traditional sneakers. INTEGRATE THEM SLOWLY! Short runs at first only otherwise walking may be a wee bit difficult depending how you've been running in the past.

I really like them for shorter runs and speed work.
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have the Sketchers GoRun that are for the mid foot strike and I love them!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I say it's a passing fad that is fading fast. That being said, if it works for you, use it.
  • Tiabean86
    Tiabean86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I was shopping for running shoes I read a bunch of conflicting stuff. Some said I need this type of shoe and yet another would tell be the exact opposite. I ended up going with a happy medium shoe- the Asics Gel Blur33. I went from non active to running a few miles a day and these shoes are great! My last pair I had severe issues with burning feet and shin splints but have had none of those issues since the very first day I wore these. Oh and you can get some on clearance runningshoes.com. They are the same shoes that just got released just different colors and such. I got a cute black, magenta, and silver pair for 55$! I know I rambled and was a bit off topic but I seriously love these shoes and would suggest them to everyone!
  • InvidiaXII
    Options
    My pair of New Balance Minimus showed up today and I took them on a test run-- so far I love them! They're incredibly light and comfortable. In reviews people said to order them a half size larger than what you usually wear, which I did, and they fit very well.

I didn't have any shin pain, which I get when I wear my normal sneakers (ironically, those were fit for me at a running store with a very good reputation-- just bad luck I guess...) and I could run longer in the Minimus right out of the box. However, I kept the run fairly short (15 minutes) because it's recommended this type of shoe be worked into a routine slowly.

So that's my experience with the trend at this point: so far so good.
  • jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I finally bought the New Balance minimalist and LOVE them. I have been having terrible foot pain on the lateral side of my foot. I have gone through 5+ pairs of shoes and every pair "corrected" my foot in a different direction. So I decided to go with the minimalist shoe and do not get the foot pain from running anymore!
  • sharfisher
    sharfisher Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I bought the NB Minimus and ended up with weird foot injuries. I eased in as recommended -- 4 runs of 15 minutes each, and 2 of them on treadmill -- but my feet freaked out. I love love love running and walking in them but my feet couldnt handle it. I am still doing physio to strengthen my feet and hope to get back to running in them at some point.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do not run, but I do walk, hike, lift, and all that I wear are Vibram Five Fingers. Except at work where steel toes are required. This "fad" will never fade with me....better posture, better overall alignment, and more stability.....yes, please.
  • NyalD
    NyalD Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been running barefoot for almost three years. I can attest that for me it is safe and has reduce injuries by forcing me to rest when I have pushed myself to much (a major cause of injury), corrected my form (another cause), and made running more enjoyable. That said, go slow as a turtle and don't buy minshoes until you can do the distance BF.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Support shoes are a passing fad, that is fading fast.
  • NyalD
    NyalD Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Support shoes are a passing fad, that is fading fast.
    Agree!