Lifting to burn calories

Options
Im new to the idea of lifting to burn calories. Can someone tell me what forms of lifting etc...

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    what do you mean what forms of lifting? i'm only familiar with one form : move a weight, put it down, move it again, repeat
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    lol yes im also familiar with that. but i dont want to build huge muscles
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    what do you mean what forms of lifting? i'm only familiar with one form : move a weight, put it down, move it again, repeat

I heart this woman :flowerforyou:
  • warnott
    warnott Posts: 20
    Options

you're not going to build huge muscles

i know nobody on the internet is going to convince you of that

but you're not going to build huge muscles
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Weights, body weight, resistance...I do them all
  • laurie571
    Options
    thanks you two for answering and not being sarcastic :)
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options

you're not going to build huge muscles

i know nobody on the internet is going to convince you of that

but you're not going to build huge muscles
    Those women take steroids!! Weights just firm you up!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    dont worry about that. it takes YEARS of training and proper eating ( eating above your TDEE ) to build huge muscles, even if you were that body type that gained muscle easily, it would still take years of training to get huge. so it's not like one day you go to sleep fat and mushy and then wake up the next day BAM looking all hard and cut like Ms. universe. that look doesnt exactly happen on accident. :laugh:
    just lift weights and eat at a surplus and you'll be fine. :wink:

as for programs, look into New rules of lifting for women, stronglifts 5x5, and starting strength. all are excellent programs that focus on compound movements that will build strength and help you preserve as much muscle as possible while you lose weight
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Look at the photos in meshashesha's profile.

Does she look all huge muscles? No. she looks all boobalishedness and curvy.

She picks up heavy things and puts them down.

Look at the photos in my profile. Do I look all huge muscles? No. I look like I've lost 25kgs/55lbs.

I pick up heavy things and put them down. *nod*

Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women, or StrongLifts 5 x 5 or Starting Strength and lift heavy stuff too.
  • laurie571
    Options
    ive played tennis most of my life, we only weight trained to be able to hit the ball harder. so the concept of lifting as a form of exercise and not body building was new to me.
  • ems1583
    ems1583 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Chalean Extreme, I'm just a newbie with weightlifting and I love it so far :) You might want to check it :)
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    bumping to read again tomorrow. i knew there were a few books i needed for my birthday and the new rules....is def on my list now!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Look up New Rules Of Lifting For Women, Stronglifts 5X5, or Starting Strength.

Lifting heavy will not make you bulky. It will make you slender and curvy. The muscle bound women you are talking about are genetic freaks or take steroids.

I'm doing New Rules of Lifting for Women. I recently uploaded a bikini pic to my profile. I'm not musclebound or bulky (although I do still have a bit of fat to lose)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

What is this picking up of things and putting down of things you speak of? The moving of weights? I have never heard of such things. Explain this witchcraft, woman!
  • laurie571
    Options
    im going to check out that book tomorrow.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

What is this picking up of things and putting down of things you speak of? The moving of weights? I have never heard of such things. Explain this witchcraft, woman!

Completely off topic, but that little girl in your profile (Daughter?) is ADORABLE. Do NOT put her down, as I will pick her up and put her in my pocket.
  • warnott
    warnott Posts: 20
    Options

Completely off topic, but that little girl in your profile (Daughter?) is ADORABLE. Do NOT put her down, as I will pick her up and put her in my pocket.

somebody call the cops on these maniacs before talking about it just doesn't cut it anymore and they move on to ACTUALLY kidnapping ACTUAL children.
  • Zebideus
    Zebideus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I fully agree with those who've posted that large muscles don't appear suddenly, especially for women. Men's naturally higher testosterone levels encourage larger muscle mass on top of their having approximately 30% more naturally than women. Of course, exceptions always apply, I'm just trying to point out that as a woman, you would have to work far harder than the most buff guy in the gym (and for far longer) to ever approach that "musclebound" approach you're concerned with.

That said, I'll point out a few advantages to "strength training" (look it up on Wikipedia, it's distinct from weight lifting or bodybuilding).

Tom Venuto, a personal trainer for 30yrs to athletes as well as the rest of us, has written a book entitled "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" (easily found online as a pdf doc) that gives you some basic rules of thumb in strength training:

*6-12 reps, 2-3 sets
    *2 lower body days, 3 upper
    *core work can be done daily
    *not to exceed 1hr of strength training daily

He makes an excellent point about strength training as an ADDITION to regular cardiovascular exercises: namely, that a pound of fat at rest burns almost nothing, while a pound of muscle at rest (that is, while doing nothing) can burn hundreds of calories. It's one of the fastest ways to raise your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate, which is how quickly you burn through calories).

Of course, cardio is absolutely vital (30 mins 5x/week at target heart rate), but keep in mind it only temporarily raises your metabolism, while increased muscle mass uses more calories at a constant rate, day or night.

You can't have one without the other. As a man I do 1hr of strength training, 15mins of core work, and 30mins on the treadmill. I've broken down the major muscle groups into 3 upper body routines and 2 lower, doing the lower on Mondays and Fridays so I have the weekend to recover from them (as well as 3 days in the middle).

Venuto's book can easily help you find a routine that works for you and meets your goals, as well as any number of places online. Look out for anything promising you great results but little work, and stick with sites that make clear just how much work is required to see progress.

Oh, and Venuto's book's greatest selling point for me was that he advocates no weight loss products or exercise devices, just plain ol' common sense and elbow grease. Other sites I'm sure do this, so just look for that kind of thing to determine your routines.

At least now however, you have a sense of what a sensible long-term strategy might look like.

Hope that helps!
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options
    your muscles will only get to about the size of mine......So go head and lift weights!!!!! I can still fit in some clothes LOL

Just kidding...but high reps and short rest works wonders
  • laurie571
    Options
    I fully agree with those who've posted that large muscles don't appear suddenly, especially for women. Men's naturally higher testosterone levels encourage larger muscle mass on top of their having approximately 30% more naturally than women. Of course, exceptions always apply, I'm just trying to point out that as a woman, you would have to work far harder than the most buff guy in the gym (and for far longer) to ever approach that "musclebound" approach you're concerned with.

That said, I'll point out a few advantages to "strength training" (look it up on Wikipedia, it's distinct from weight lifting or bodybuilding).

Tom Venuto, a personal trainer for 30yrs to athletes as well as the rest of us, has written a book entitled "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" (easily found online as a pdf doc) that gives you some basic rules of thumb in strength training:

*6-12 reps, 2-3 sets
    *2 lower body days, 3 upper
    *core work can be done daily
    *not to exceed 1hr of strength training daily

He makes an excellent point about strength training as an ADDITION to regular cardiovascular exercises: namely, that a pound of fat at rest burns almost nothing, while a pound of muscle at rest (that is, while doing nothing) can burn hundreds of calories. It's one of the fastest ways to raise your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate, which is how quickly you burn through calories).

Of course, cardio is absolutely vital (30 mins 5x/week at target heart rate), but keep in mind it only temporarily raises your metabolism, while increased muscle mass uses more calories at a constant rate, day or night.

You can't have one without the other. As a man I do 1hr of strength training, 15mins of core work, and 30mins on the treadmill. I've broken down the major muscle groups into 3 upper body routines and 2 lower, doing the lower on Mondays and Fridays so I have the weekend to recover from them (as well as 3 days in the middle).

Venuto's book can easily help you find a routine that works for you and meets your goals, as well as any number of places online. Look out for anything promising you great results but little work, and stick with sites that make clear just how much work is required to see progress.

Oh, and Venuto's book's greatest selling point for me was that he advocates no weight loss products or exercise devices, just plain ol' common sense and elbow grease. Other sites I'm sure do this, so just look for that kind of thing to determine your routines.

At least now however, you have a sense of what a sensible long-term strategy might look like.

Hope that helps!
    thank you very much. that does help