Calf cramps >.<

Options
I did day 1 of 30DS yesterday morning. Which of course has jumping jacks in it. It seems whenever I do a lot of jumping jacks, the next day the back of my my calves have these weird cramps that spaz on me when I walk D: I did all the stretches in the beginning and end of the level, but still got them. Any way I can make them go away and prevent them?

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Oh! Calf cramps are the worse! I get them if I don't stay hydrated, but I was told by a trainer years ago that the wrong shoes can increase the propensity to have them. but I am anxious to here if there is something else I can do to prevent them..
  • XxSarahKatexX
    Options
    Oh..and I just tried lvl 1 day 2 of the 30 day shred and my calves act up waaay too much to do the jumping jacks. ahhh :C i drank 8 cups yesterday and i drank 2 before starting >.<
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I kept getting calf cramps, and my legs would feel tight and it would feel like I ran 100 miles, my Dad told me to increase my potassium and I did, I started eating more fish, raw spinach, bananas, etc. and I try to keep it close to my daily potassium goal and I haven't had calf cramps since.
  • Erin0164
    Erin0164 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My trainer has told be to do toe taps exercises to strengthen the muscles on the front of the lower legs to help stretch and balance the calf muscles. Has helped tons.
  • XxSarahKatexX
    Options
    My trainer has told be to do toe taps exercises to strengthen the muscles on the front of the lower legs to help stretch and balance the calf muscles. Has helped tons.

Ooh I think I'll do that : ) Thanks
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    As you get stronger they will ease. Try a foam roller (or a rolling pin if you don't want to spend the $$) to east the lactic acid build up. I am in love with mine!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I did day 1 of 30DS yesterday morning. Which of course has jumping jacks in it. It seems whenever I do a lot of jumping jacks, the next day the back of my my calves have these weird cramps that spaz on me when I walk D: I did all the stretches in the beginning and end of the level, but still got them. Any way I can make them go away and prevent them?

Do you wear sneakers while doing 30DS? I started doing it barefoot and had horrible calf cramps, then I realized they're all wearing sneaks in the video. Put some sneaks on and the cramps went away. Still had soreness but I expect them to be sore after all that jumping around. The jump ropes are what really makes them burn for me!

I also took a day off after Level 1 Day 4 or 5 (can't remember which) and it helped. Not sure if you're willing to take a day off or not.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    Potassium
  • shezlar1
    shezlar1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Wait till you get cow cramps! those are REALLY bad!
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Potassium!!! Try eating a Banana 30-60 minutes before your workout, or take a supplement. They make straight postassium supplements, but if you take a daily vitamin, you should get enough potassium from that to ease the pain. I used to get HORRIBLE calf cramps doing the 30DS, and it got worse when I started C25K. I talked to my mom about it (She's a nurse), and she suggested the potassium. I now take a womens one daily, and I have not had any problems since... :)
  • LibertyGloria
    Options
    When you are in weight loss mode your body goes into a state of Ketosis. I learned this when I was on Atkins. http://www.livestrong.com/article/467205-ketosis-leg-cramps/
    Drink plenty of water & electrolytes and take extra Potassium supplements.
    Works for me!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Try some specific calf stretches during the day at random times. Forward lunges (only bending the front leg and pressing the back heel into the ground) are great. Or find a step and stand on the edge on your toes with your heels hanging off the edge, and do some rises, letting your heels drop below the level of the step on the downward part. Do these 3 or 4 times during the day after a short (5-10mins) walk and you'll feel the difference.

You could also modify by doing butt kicks or high knees instead of jumping jacks and jump rope a couple of times during 30DS, just to give your calves a rest every couple of days.
  • XxSarahKatexX
    Options

Do you wear sneakers while doing 30DS? I started doing it barefoot and had horrible calf cramps, then I realized they're all wearing sneaks in the video. Put some sneaks on and the cramps went away. Still had soreness but I expect them to be sore after all that jumping around. The jump ropes are what really makes them burn for me!

I also took a day off after Level 1 Day 4 or 5 (can't remember which) and it helped. Not sure if you're willing to take a day off or not.
    No I dont have any gym shoes D: I have ..kind of sneakers though but not really padded like theirs. I was doing it barefoot. I can try the shoes I have though. : P
  • XxSarahKatexX
    Options
    Potassium!!! Try eating a Banana 30-60 minutes before your workout, or take a supplement. They make straight postassium supplements, but if you take a daily vitamin, you should get enough potassium from that to ease the pain. I used to get HORRIBLE calf cramps doing the 30DS, and it got worse when I started C25K. I talked to my mom about it (She's a nurse), and she suggested the potassium. I now take a womens one daily, and I have not had any problems since... :)
    I eat oatmeal before I work out so i'll add a banana to it :) Thanks~!