HISTORY OF THE FEMALE "IMAGE IDEAL"

Options
124»

Replies

• gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    This has certainly been a conversation starter. Rather than look at what the media gives to us on the covers of Cosmo and Maxim, I've found it helpful to check out what real women look like. Here's a site that does just that: http://www.mybodygallery.com/search.html?height=any&weight=any&pant=any&shirt=any&zphoto=Large&new=1

It was encourabing to put in my beginning weight, height, shape, and actually see me as others must have seen me. Then to put in my goal weight and have a visible target to shoot for. The only area where I differ is in the clothing sizes. It seems I'm in a larger size than others. That just tells me how woefully out of shape I am. So, with the weight loss, I'll be starting on some weight training and more exercise.

Still, I liked the post -- thanks for starting it -- as it may help us all look at ourselves with a bit less self-criticism. For some of us, we need all the positive feed back we can get as well as realistic goals for ourselves.
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I personally think the days of the anorexic look are over. If you look at the really popular actresses, models, and singers now, most of them fall into the "healthy" look.

Take into account Jennifer Anniston, Beyonce, JLo, Kim Kardashian, Rachel McAdams, etc. These are all very "normal sized" girls. There are still some models that fall into the too-skinny category, but it seems to be moving away from that, which is a good thing in our society.

Aniston is 5'8 and 110lbs (underweight)

her measurements are 34 -23 -35.

rahcel mcadams is 5'4, 112lbs (lower end of normal/bordering underweight)

julia stiles, 5'7, 110lbs. (underweight)

Kim is 5'3 and fluctuates but is about 125lbs. normal weight.

How do you know such personal information? And guesses by a random blogger don't count.
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Oh, didn't you know? We can't make fun of fat people but it's acceptable to call people "toothpicks!"

^ annoyingly this -_-
    [/quote]

People are extremely judgmental of thin people. It's extremely hypocritical. You can't assume someone who is overweight just sits on the couch all day eating bonbons, and you wouldn't go up to them and say how gross they are for being fat. But if a skinny woman walks by then she's automatically judged to have an eating disorder as the women around her glower and look down their noses. "You're so thin. Look at you, you're a stick. Go eat a burger. You think men find that attractive?" It's some twisted way to bring the woman down and try and make her have some big revelation like, "Oh, how silly of me for being thin! I look terrible, I better go overeat so I can gain lots of weight so men will find me attractive!"

Well hey, guess what? It's natural to be thin. We have skeletons, you're supposed to see some bones; ribs, ankles, collar bones--they're part of our form! It's also natural to be overweight or our bodies wouldn't store fat. There is no "one" perfect body size. The perfect body is the one that fits the individual best, that they can feel happy with and be healthy.

And not every woman wants to look a certain way to attract men. Attracting men is the least of my concerns. How degrading.

I'm considered underweight with a 17.2 (basic internet calc) BMI. I'm not anorexic, I ate 2000 calories today and average 1600 weekly. I like being thin and feel amazing. I wouldn't expect everyone to feel comfortable being at my weight and I don't judge people for being thinner or bigger than me. THIS IS MY BODY. How dare anyone have the audacity to think that their opinion matters in the slightest of how I feel within my own body. If people spent the amount of effort they put into worrying about other people's lives into their own lives then everyone would be a bit better for it.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Isn't that what people *do* though? Tear each other down? It's an unfortunate and ugly part of human behavior that we seem to want to do this. This one is too fat, she must be lazy and stupid. This one is too thin, she must be anorexic and disordered. That one is [fill in the blank with ugly judgments]. It is horrible all the way around. I don't like being judged for being fat anymore than a very thin person likes being judged for her appearance.

I wondered as a read the article posted by the OP if the reference to Brittany Murphy as a toothpick was, at least in part, an attempt to link her death to her obvious weight loss over the years? She certainly changed in appearance over time in a way that was fairly obvious. Certainly, that could have been expressed in a more scholarly way that would have given more credence to the author's points.
  • fabulouslysweet
    fabulouslysweet Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I really liked this study. Very informative and really got me to thinking
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I'd be classed as well attractive right back in the olden days.
    I'm glad someone has posted and pointed this out though.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i have to say, this is one of those issues that remind me of how glad i am that i'm not a white girl :laugh:

in high school and college i watched many a white friend struggle with body image issues and practice all kinds of dangerous diets and exercise routines to get a body they were told in magazines they should have. growing up in a black southern US and west indian culture we were taught to take pride in our appearance, no matter what our appearance. if you don't believe me, PLEASE go to a west indian country during a parade week and just count how many overweight women you see shaking her fat rolls and not being the least bit self conscious about them.

this is probably even more true in the west indian culture. you can always tell a jamaican or bajan girl because we WILL walk in a room strutting like we're the baddest b*tches on the planet even if we're wearing a sack cloth :laugh: plus i notice that a lot of west indians have less issues with their skin color than american. first instance i've known so many dark skinned american women who are afraid of wearing anything involving color in case it draws attention to their skin color, yet dark skinned west indians will rock the hell out of some fuscia pink, lime green, bright orange etc :laugh:

also i dont know if it's been noted in this thread, but a size 14 in marilyn's day is not the same as a 14 today. clothing sizes change based on averages and they change more often than you might think. for instance i have a pair of jeans from 5 years ago (yes I'm almost back in them) that were a size 14 back then, but when i plus the measurements into a size calculator, they are called a size 12 today by the same store
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Any ideas why woman's clothing is measured as it is? I means I know men's isn't accurate but a 32 inch waist should be around 32 inches but what's a 14 and is there anything to stop it being changed as the example of MM shows it has been? Sorry if it's a bit of topic but it's got me wondering
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,502 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'm either a Marilyn or a curvy fitness model, depending on whether I work out or not: wide pelvis, wide shoulder bones, narrow waist, tendency to store fat on thighs and bum and pelvis bones and collar bones poking out thin abdomen. I'd rather be narrower, less female. Oh well...
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I actually have a size 14 (UK) vintage wool suit.

I am a modern size 10 (UK). I juuuust about fit into it.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    stfriend wrote: »
    The bad part is women are the ones who set the standard. Look at how many thread titles say "Ladies with big boobs only" yet men come flocking. Women have a tendency to tear each other down especially when competing for a man. As antiquated as that sounds, it still goes on. Or maybe its just habit by now.

Gay men run the fashion industry. Women dont set the standard.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I don't think the overly thin look is very attractive but to each their own. The sad part is when normal and healthy sized women are considered chubby because they are not the modern ideal. I think the average white male honestly prefers a skinny woman. Black males are different and want curves it seems. Even at a size 2-4 some used to think I was too big because I always have a bit of a butt.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    See that is the problem to me which shows we all are still warped by the media...all the women win to me. Not just MM. We all are different sizes and shapes...you strive for health and what is best for your body! Not just who has the best body.
    I agree. I’m surprised so many people are commenting that MM “wins.” We all have different body types and we all win.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I would need serious surgery to be a MM.
    I'm a Twiggy-ish through and through. Heck even when I put on 30lbs I just looked like a Twiggy that had swallowed an elephant (most of the weight in my belly)

I have spent 50 adult years in this body I wouldn't know how to live or dress if I woke up MM.

Did notice in the UK last month that the size 10 I use to wear drowns me now at the same weight. Vanity sizing and a little muscle gain.

Cheers, h.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,502 Member
    Options
    I would need serious surgery to be a MM.
    I'm a Twiggy-ish through and through. Heck even when I put on 30lbs I just looked like a Twiggy that had swallowed an elephant (most of the weight in my belly)

I have spent 50 adult years in this body I wouldn't know how to live or dress if I woke up MM.

Did notice in the UK last month that the size 10 I use to wear drowns me now at the same weight. Vanity sizing and a little muscle gain.

Cheers, h.

Ha, interesting! I'd love to be a Twiggy shape, but then I'd need to get a saw and cut off various bones in inconvenient places. On the plus side: I still had a flat tummy when I was overweight.
  • siobhanaoife
    siobhanaoife Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    OK, my daughter is a 10 year old ballerina with a healthy, not overweight BMI and a ridiculously active schedule and her waist is 24 inches. I'm flabbergasted that Marilyn Monroe had a 22 inch waist and it makes me squint trying to figure out where she ever bought clothes.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I honestly don’t give a flying *kitten* what men like or what fashion dictates. I’m a human being who cares about my health, and expressing myself through my appearance for my own enjoyment is a bonus. If anyone else doesn’t like how it looks, they can shove it.

I’m tired of our bodies being treated like fashion that comes and goes. What that really means, is one minute, you’re embraced, the next, you’re rejected. I refuse to participate in this silly little game.

Because I’m a person, not a damn doll to be remodeled to the preference of others.

I’m sick of hearing about curves and sticks and what men like or what is in fashion. I’m sick of how it’s ok to say the most vile things about skinny women and yet god forbid someone suggests that being fat is unhealthy.

We deserve better than this pathetic attitude of breaking our attractiveness into parts. I’m tired of our attractiveness being the most important aspect of being a woman. It’s not that important. I’ve never seen an article written about men like this in my life. Why? Because society tells us it’s our job to be beautiful as women, as if that’s our greatest calling in life. We have brains and skills and interests.

This article just makes me eye roll into another dimension.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    night-of-the-living-thread.jpg