HIIT is definitely for me!

Options
I stumbled across some article about this type of exercise and became very interested. I did a full out search (lots of good info from members on here about it) so that I could learn everything I could before trying it out.

I started this week and have already lost 2 pounds in only 4 days of doing it. I am soooo psyched about this exercise! I don't believe I'm doing it exactly correct...after all I have only begun exercising even a little, about 8 weeks ago and I'm obese, so even a little exercise wears me out fairly quickly.

But however I'm doing it, it's working for me.

oh and what is amazing for me (other than the totally awesome quick drop of 2 lbs) is that I don't wear out as quickly when exercising. Because of the 'recovery' period, I am able to go longer than before, yet I'm sweating sooner than I used to (I know a little gross, but isn't that one of the major points of exercising...to sweat off those calories :wink: )

Replies

• SaraWo24
    SaraWo24 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    What is HIIT?
  • Being_Healthy
    Being_Healthy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think this site describes it best:

www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=621
  • wewe12
    wewe12 Posts: 79
    Options
    so i read it what do you do the interval excersis it doesnt say what to do
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    so i read it what do you do the interval excersis it doesnt say what to do

You do whatever aerobic exercise you want. Treadmill, bike, etc. It doesn't matter what you are doing, it's how you are doing. You would follow that little chart.

Thanks for the info, I was already doing short 1 min bursts of high intensity, but this gives me a specific chart to folllow! Thanks for posting!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    You'd benefit by reading up on EPOC, HIIT training is something I've been doing since highschool (but didn't even know it). If you Google EPOC you'll see the major reason why HIIT training is so much better than straight cardio.

But if you don't find anything, here's the wiki on EPOC
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess_post-exercise_oxygen_consumption

I rediscovered it about 18 months ago and will never go back. HIIT training is a very good way to get both aerobic and anaerobic training in one, and the best part is you don't have to work nearly as long as a regular cardio session, and you really do receive a better work out from it.

Of course HIIT isn't for everyone, it's far harder on the body than regular cardio, but even that can be mitigated to a degree.

I recommend HIIT to anyone that can do 45 minutes on the bike or the elliptical, or the tredmill at a moderate pace.