How to eat 1200 cals

Options
What do you think about this idea:

Work backwards. Know what you are having for dinner and log it in the morning. Save perhaps another 250 cals for a safety net for after dinner snacking. This way, you know how many cals you can consume for breakfast and lunch.

I'm going to try it and see how it goes. I'm having a hard time staying at 1200 and often times go over. Oh well, at least I have "learned" how to eat my 1700 that I need daily! :)

Replies

• foranagirl
    foranagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Planning makes a difference. I have lost 20 lbs on Weight Watchers and am just now starting to track calories on MFP. But I can tell you that when I pre-track my day the way you suggest, I stay within my daily points on WW. When I don't, I tend to go over. Now, it's not always possible--the weekends are more up in the air for me--but whenever possible I do it and I've found that it makes a difference. So yes, I think that you are on to something!!
  • amselby81
    amselby81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I don't look forward to only having 1,200 calories. That seems like so little to me. My current goal is 1,530 and it can be pretty hard to stay withing my goal. I need to exercise just about everyday in order to stay under my goal. I don't know. Maybe when I get close enough to my goal that I only have 1,200, I might set my weight loss goal to only a half a pound a week, so it doesn't go down to 1,200 a day.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I pre log my food just about every day. It helps me tremendously...granted, it takes some thought and prep, usually on Sundays for me. I also make it fool proof....wash and clean all produce, portion it out into containers...portion out cottage cheese, nuts, cheese etc. I always have a good idea what is for dinner but being that I planned well, if it changes, I'm generally right on track in regards to calories.

I will say, if you're active and exercising, 1200 would most likely be a bit low so make sure you're eating appropriately...as you shouldn't feel hungry.
  • bxsweety
    bxsweety Posts: 12
    Options
    i agree planning ahead works so well. I pack my lunch from the night before and log it in as I'm going to work. So i'm less likely to treat myself to something extra or shy away from eating what i packed since i've logged it in. Also working out that work out in the AM and having a satisfying breakfast and lunch keeps me from getting crazy hungry in the afternoon and evening.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    1200 is an aggressive weight loss goal, you can pre-plan your calories and whatever amount of calories you go over by you can do some exercise to burn it off
  • curlszz
    curlszz Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree, the day before I plan out what I'm going to eat. When I have time it is also helpful to make up my meals in advance so I can portion everything out. That way I have healthy meals to just grab and go and I'm less likely to snack while I cook .
  • CrazyMidget611
    CrazyMidget611 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I pretrack every night! Love it because it really does help me stay on track throughout the day. And, yes, I work backwards! Dinner is my favorite meal, so I want to make sure I have the cals for what I want!

Hope it works for you, too!
  • cestlafete
    cestlafete Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I definitely find that planning ahead makes a huge difference. When I log as I eat, I have a tendency to get panicked at night with a couple hundred extra calories that I can't reasonably exercise off (in addition to my usual burn-off, that is). This morning, though, I put down my breakfast and lunch as I was making them, then chatted with the fiancé about dinner and logged that once we decided. That gave me ~40 calories extra, plus whatever I burn this evening, which averages out to ~330. That provides a decent buffer for any snacking I need to do between meals, so long as I keep it healthy and portioned, or if I don't need a snack, for desert after dinner!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my day as well, and then I'll know how much I have to exercise and how much I have saved for my evening snacks.

Whatever works for you is the best.
  • pinkspanglystar
    pinkspanglystar Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have recently changed my daily cals to 1,300 and am finding that ok now!! At first it was really hard just becasue I always felt hungry but as long as I drink pleny of water I seem to be ok!! I am very much a planner though!! My cals are usually sorted out the night before so I know exactly what I am eating and when!! Was a hard thing to get into but it has worked in the past and now I dont feel ready to relax untill I have everything planned for the next day :)
  • ywolfie
    ywolfie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's all about what you put in your body. Lots of fresh fruit, veges, meat (if you're an omni), lay off the white stuff --potatoes, white bread, complex sugars, rice, pasta. It's hard at first but the weight loss is a definite motivator to stick to it. And if you're active for just 30 minutes a day, you can eat more calories. It's a win win!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would add more exercise rather than lower my calories. It might seem counter-intuitive, but expending more energy actually does increase your overall energy levels.

Now that I am exercising on a regular basis, I can't imagine not doing it. It makes me feel so good.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It takes a few weeks to find your rhythem and balance for sure. Also, if you hit your calories, there is no rule that says "eat dinner" just dont eat....or eat greens if your body feels hungry.

I find myself sometimes having a bigger lunch then I should have...and after snacks running out of cals for dinner....if I cant gain those calories back at the gym....I just do greens, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes and some balsamic vinegar...I can have like 2 cups of that and be at like 50 calories.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    1200 is too little unless, perhaps, you're a small girl who is not exercising. An active person who wants a high-performing body shouldn't be eating the bare minimum.

No matter how many calories you eat, if you are teaching yourself better eating habits, pre-planning is absolutely essential.
  • high5girl
    high5girl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started prelogging my food and it does help you think about what you can have the rest of the day. It's helped me not snack as much at night too b/c I already know I'm at X calories for the day. Think I'll keep trying it, and yes 1200 calories is not a lot. They just moved me to 1290 so it's an adjustment but will be so worth it :)
  • cafqueen
    cafqueen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    if I am away and not able to log I find it easy to stay under my 1200 by allowing a certain amount of calories per meal. I allow 250 for breakfast, 300 for lunch and save the rest for supper and a bowl of popcorn. if I stay within my set calorie allowances for breakfast and lunch, I am always ok for supper.
  • cestlafete
    cestlafete Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I agree, the day before I plan out what I'm going to eat. When I have time it is also helpful to make up my meals in advance so I can portion everything out. That way I have healthy meals to just grab and go and I'm less likely to snack while I cook .

THIS

I definitely have some meals that I know are <400 calories and very filling that I will intentionally make extra of and bag for the next day. I started out writing the amount of calories on the bag, so then it became a mix-and-match game. After a while, it gets into your head and you can guesstimate as you do your breakfast/lunch packing and dinner planning. You can also freeze a lot of portioned meals (including soup, if you make your own!) and take them to work or thaw for home. Portioned snacks are also a good idea if they come in big bags or boxes.
  • orville54
    orville54 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The thing that helped me the most, after joining MFP, was to have a calendar next to my fridge and write down/plan every meal for a week or week and a half. That includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus a snack. I log all meals for the day in the morning. I then know how many calories I will be consuming that day. If I'm over on my calories I try to look at items that maybe I could cut or eat less of that day. I also have a another calendar next to the fridge that has each workout I will be doing that day. After I complete the workout I check it off. If I don't do the workout it get an X. It gives me a visual of how I'm doing instead of trying to remember how I did on my workouts.
  • rccrg
    rccrg Posts: 1
    Options
    I am just reading this topic (new to MFP), but after a two-week attempt and failure; I decided to plan my lunch and dinner ahead of time and then the breakfast and snacks are dependent upon the remaining calories left. Also, this is where I can change up and feel my 'cheat time' can happen although it is limited. I am going to try this method as I see many of you have been successful... I increased my caloric count to 1300, but I will decrease it within the next 30 days (once I get the hang) Thanks!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan. I tend to do the opposite - take stock at lunchtime / mid afternoon and decide what comes next. So I'm currently (after lunch) half way on calories and protein but a bit behind on fats, so I think fish tonight rather than steak.