Spacing between meals

Options
jniece55
jniece55 Posts: 181 Member
How long do you all normally space between meals and snacks? Do you all eat breakfast, two hours later snack, two hours later lunch?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I typically eat my first meal around 1 to 2pm, then I eat the rest of my calories between 6pm and 10pm.

I would absolutely base your meal size and meal frequency around personal preference and lifestyle.

Total intake of calories and macronutrients is critically important. Meal size and frequency isn't.
  • herillusion
    herillusion Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I typically eat my first meal around 1 to 2pm, then I eat the rest of my calories between 6pm and 10pm.

I would absolutely base your meal size and meal frequency around personal preference and lifestyle.

Total intake of calories and macronutrients is critically important. Meal size and frequency isn't.

See now I had a personal trainer who told me otherwise. I didn't stick with it long enough but I've seen other clients that have been successful. He said to eat meals no more than 500 calories. Have nothing with calories in it for 2 hours. Something about the body can burn off 500 calories in a 2 hour period with normal daily activity and that it will help you to not gain weight. And drinking lots of water when you feel hungry during those 2 hours periods.
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I eat at around 8am,10am, 12pm, 3pm, and 6pm every day! :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I space about 2 hrs in between. A good rule of thumb is to eat for the activity that there will be in that 2hrs.
  • heygurlheyyyy
    heygurlheyyyy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Do it however works best for your stomach and schedule. I asked my dietician about this a month or so ago since I've heard mixed things (eat 6 times a day, 3 times a day, etc.) She personally prefers 3 meals, 2 snacks, but said that other dieticians/nutritionists/trainers may have a different POV. I aim for 4-5 and it has worked out pretty well. Sometimes I make it 4 or 5 hours between meals/snacks and sometimes its more like 1-2. Depends on what I eat. And I drink TONS of water, so I guess that helps? I don't drink it to keep me from being hungry, but I suppose it may serve that function, too.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I love to eat, so I only have about 2-3 hours between my meals and each meal is about the same size. It's what works for me because I'm constantly eating so I rarely hit the point of being so hungry that I make poor choices.
  • Bonnyr1971
    Options
    I eat 5 small meals a day as suggested by my nutritionist. I eat at 7am,10am,12:15pm, 2:15pm and then dinner about 6pm all each meal between 200-250 calories
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    It's easy for me to basically keep the same schedule because I stay at home with my kiddos but I typically eat 8am, 10am, noon, 3pm and 6pm every day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, and sometimes a snack of scoop of protein powder if I'm hungry before bed. I hate to be hungry, it sort of turns me into the Hulk.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    It's nothing more than personal preference.

For me, eating every few hours makes me miserable; I get irritable, depressed, and feel ravenously hungry all day. So instead, I usually eat my first meal around 12-1PM and my second around 8-10PM (depending on my schedule). In the middle, I'll only have coffee and maybe some fruit. That schedule wouldn't work for a lot of people, but it works incredibly well for me.

Do what works. There is no singular answer as to what that is for everyone. If you feel good and see the effects you want, do it.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My daily schedule is basically:
    530AM
    830-9AM
    1130AM-12PM
    230-3PM
    530-630PM

I try to keep about 3 hours between meals, and all my meals are approximately 300 calories, give or take a few. Dinner usually ends up with more than a 3 hour gap because of being busy after work (working out, running, walking, showering, preparing meals for the next day, etc.).
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I eat at around 8am,10am, 12pm, 3pm, and 6pm every day! :)
    Exactly this!! I have to, otherwise I feel ravenous and WILL make bad choices.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I eat at 7AM, 12PM, 6PM, and I don't snack in between, also, I'm not hungry between meals. If you follow "Eat to Live", you will not feel like you need to eat as frequently because you're not detoxing from addictive foods in between meals.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    When you eat makes no difference whatsoever to your weight loss unless you leave it so long you're ravenous and make bad food choices.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

this. 100%
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

See now I had a personal trainer who told me otherwise. I didn't stick with it long enough but I've seen other clients that have been successful. He said to eat meals no more than 500 calories. Have nothing with calories in it for 2 hours. Something about the body can burn off 500 calories in a 2 hour period with normal daily activity and that it will help you to not gain weight. And drinking lots of water when you feel hungry during those 2 hours periods.

That trainer has no idea what he's talking about.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I like eating small amounts often. I eat 6 to 8 times a day but generally only three of these are more than 200 calories at a time. I don't eat anything that most folks would consider a full meal.

Now, a disclaimer: There's no scientific evidence that this way of eating is "better" or revs up your metabolism. I just like to eat this way.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I eat whenever I get hungry. Usually, that's about 9:30 am, 11-12, 2-3, and then I end up eating dinner around 8-9 (because I get off work at 4:30 and I'm working out from about 5:15-7:30).
  • jniece55
    jniece55 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your meal schedules!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    It is ALL personal preference! So, do what works best for you.

There is no scientific evidence that meal timing and frequency have a long term impact on weight loss. Most of the studies out there might show a psychological difference. For example, some people find having multiple smaller meals keeps them from binging.... but not everyone HAS issues with binging so it wouldn't make a difference to them. Find what works for you and do that.

For example on my normal days I do:
    Small Breakfast (<200cal) before my workout (usually a hard boiled egg and almond milk)
    Lunch (300-600cal depending on pre logged dinner calories) at about noon
    Snack (<300cal) at about 3PM (usually almonds and string cheese or fruit)
    Dinner (calories depend on what's for dinner) at about 6PM
    Snack (<250cal) at about 9PM (greek yogurt, ice cream, apple with peanut butter, or strawberries with whipped cream and graham crackers

But that is what works for me and I might skip breakfast if I don't work out or skip one of the snacks if I have a bigger dinner planned or I am just not hungry.
  • xshortiex
    xshortiex Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I eat when I get hungry, which is usually every 2-3, sometimes 4 hours. I keep each "meal" small, like a good-sized snack instead of a full meal. And I eat clean.