intermittent fasting - does it REALLY work?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I've heard that referred to as Alternate Day Caloric Restriction, which differs from IF
  • wapan
    wapan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    bump
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I've heard that referred to as Alternate Day Caloric Restriction, which differs from IF
    Indeed. It would be simpler if we reserved the term "fast" for "zero calorie intake" or similar.
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I know what you may want to try, MFP? Set a goal and stick to it. See if that works.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I know what you may want to try, MFP? Set a goal and stick to it. See if that works.

Ooh, sarcastic. Well, it doesn't work for everyone, sadly.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You need to have a calories deficit to lose weight, so technically, it doesn't matter if that deficit is created in one or two days, fasting for hours each day or spread out through out the week. However, it isn't realistic to continue doing this type of thing in the long run. It might help you personally stick to the "program" now and lose weight, but think about long term. Create a deficit, spread it out over the week, and you'll lose weight.
  • eddiefox
    Options
    Just started IF and I think it is great! I didn't think that I would be able to workout when I haven't eaten but it works for me! I work 10-11 hours a day so my eating windows range from 8 to as low as 2 hours. For me, food tastes better after fasting.
  • Smurfette1987
    Smurfette1987 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Any program that allows you to eat at a calorie deficit with macronutrient sufficiency will work, whether it's a leangains style IF, 6 meals per day, 3 meals per day, Eat Stop Eat, etc etc.

IMO the big difference is that some people will find one that fits their lifestyle and this helps a ton with adherence.

Yeh i agree. Do you know if it has to be 2 days in a row that you do the 500 calories? i could probably do it i think!

I think that if you're going to do something like this you should have a good idea as to what your TDEE is and you should create a weekly deficit rather than a daily one so that your 500 calorie days are balanced by a higher calorie intake on one or more days.

Beyond that I'm not familiar with the specific program you're referencing.

This is what I do. With a bit of give or take incase I exercise less etc, just a sort of average. Yeah to me the benefits are being able to eat in a more sociable manner if needed without consuming too many calories, it doesn't feel like I'm |"on a diet" every day, and you leanr to understand real hunger too.
    I have just done 2 fast days back to back, it has been fine but you don't have to do them together :)
  • tcoupe27
    tcoupe27 Posts: 199
    Options
    I fast for 16hrs then eat during my 8hr window.... To date i have currently lost 25lbs
  • Smurfette1987
    Smurfette1987 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that I wouldn't be able to sustain my exercise programme on the days I only ate 500 calories (for women) and would probably struggle the next day too, so it's of no interest to me.

This isn't an issue for me. Maybe it's because I eat more than I have been used to on a constant restricted calorie diet on the feed days. For example (I do alternate day) I had 2 feed days back to back because of social events so the past 2 days have been fast days back to back, yesterday I did an hour of plyo and legs and walked the dog for 7 miles, today I cycled 14 miles to and from town did 45 mins strength training and 40mins swimming. No problem.
    I'm not spouting the whole caveman thing but don't most animals hunt for food when they are hungry? we are animals after all. Before I tried this I was totally in the mind set of "if I don't eat 1.5 to 2 hours before exercise I will have a blood sugar crash, perform badly etc" turns out my head is more precious than my body. I log my training and it's going uphill still so I'm happy :)
    aaaaand I sound like a serious convert!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Hello. I started 5:2 three weeks ago and, after trying everything else, every calorie jump from 1200 to 2000, giving each at least a month, this is the only thing that works for me.

I eat around 500 calories on Mondays and Wednesday or Thursday. The rest of the time I eat around maintenance - sometimes more / sometimes less.

I am finally losing weight, it isn't fast but I'm losing and not gaining for the first time in almost a year. I think it is around 4lbs now.

:-)
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Read some of the articles on LEANGAINS.COM. Lots of valuable information. It is more of a lifestyle, but it does work for some people.