Ok got a couple of questions

Options
My first question is with the couch to 5k program should I be doing that every other day or take Saturday and Sunday off from running to rest up. I have it Monday, Wednesday , and Friday. Or should I restart my run schedule on Sunday. Any thoughts will if effect my performance any if I take two days to rest. My other question is how good are the balance balls the ones you blow up for core training I am thinking about buying one but I do not want to waste money on crap, When I do sit ups on the floor it puts a lot of pressure on my lower back to the point I hate doing sit ups,

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    love the exercise ball, there are so many good things you can do with one.

2 days off in a row won't be an issue, it takes far longer than that for the body to "forget" muscle training. But it is ok to do something during one of the off days if you like as well.
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options

2 days off in a row won't be an issue, it takes far longer than that for the body to "forget" muscle training. But it is ok to do something during one of the off days if you like as well.

What do you love about the exercise ball? I would love to know bc I was going to sell my whole CORE SECRETS WORKOUT BALL on craiglist. Maybe I should keep it? :noway:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

What do you love about the exercise ball? I would love to know bc I was going to sell my whole CORE SECRETS WORKOUT BALL on craiglist. Maybe I should keep it? :noway:

it's great for the core, off the top of my head, I can think of 8 or 9 things I do with it every week. For 15 bucks it's one of the better tools out there. Right up there with a Bosu.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Ok Boss, gimme the nickel tour. Name those things. Please.

We have one - wife sits on it when she plays PS3. I've used it for some ab stuff in the past, but now I'm pretty happy with 30 day shred's ab workout so I gave up the ball.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My favorite with the ball is an ab exercise. You are basically passing the ball back and forth from your ankles to your hands.

Lay on your back with the ball between your ankles and arms extended above your head. Bring your legs up and sit up as high as you can in a "V" to grab the ball from between your ankles. Lay back down extending your arms (while holding the ball) back and your feet to the floor. Sit up in the same motion to pass the ball back to your ankles. Do this as many times as you can for two minutes or set a goal for how many you want to try to do.

This is really hard! My abs still hurt from doing these on Wednesday (3 minutes!)
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I would like some tips for the exercise ball too. The only thing I know how to do are Wall Ball Squats (against the wall). I always feel so goofy trying to work my core on a ball at the gym, like I'm rolling off. :ohwell: Thanks!
  • twilight1542
    Options

it's great for the core, off the top of my head, I can think of 8 or 9 things I do with it every week. For 15 bucks it's one of the better tools out there. Right up there with a Bosu.
    Crunches (feet on floor or wall)
    Side crunches (feet on floor or wall)
    Full upper body (biceps, triceps, back, shoulder, etc)
    Push ups ( feet or hands on ball)

At my gym I've seen people do lots of exercises with a ball--don't know the names for most & have never been brave enough to try most of them :) I'm sure if you search online you can find descriptions of lots of ball exercises.
  • 1Sweets
    Options
    Thanks for the input regarding the exercise ball...I only used it to sit at the computer chair (kept my back straight)....my son loved to throw it or bounce it with his friends.:tongue:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My trainer loves using the exercise ball when we are working out. There's one thing I know for sure, it will strengthen you core tremendously. When I first started working out in July I couldn't do alot of exercises because I didn't have the core strength. It was hard for me to shave while I was taking my shower, it would kill my lower back bending over. Now there is a huge difference. I can do the exercises that I couldn't before and now they do not tighten my back.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    as far as the ball goes,

here's a good youtube to get you started, there's a lot more than this, and these are pretty remedial, but they are a great start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIfXRB3BxLo&feature=related

you can do some pretty sick, advanced moves on an exercise ball that can REALLY train your core for better balance. Better balance means you are more stable, maybe you don't fall when you slip on that patch of ice next winter, maybe you don't fall when you step in that crack in the sidewalk, maybe you don't break your ankle when your high heal breaks...etc.
    And most importantly, if you build your core up correctly you may never have a back problem again!

Core is so important.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    You can do leg curls
    knee tucks
    push ups (arms on the ball, or feet on the ball arms on the ground)
    crunches, lower abs
    use the stability ball to do chest flies (make sure the ball is placed between your chicken wings, butt up off and in line with the floor)
    Find your balance... this one is super hard...
    knee stand on the ball raise a 10 pound (or more) medicine ball over your head. When you get stronger toss it back and forth with a workout partner.

I love the stability ball!!:heart::heart:
  • 1Sweets
    Options
    It sounds amazing:drinker: maybe I'll keep it after all...it's still new, all the tapes are in the package. The biggest workout I got so far on it was taking it out of the box:tongue: I'm going to look at that link after work today:drinker:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    just remember, exercise ball stuff is usually considered "supplementary exercise"
    I.E. you don't buy an EB and expect it to be your primary workout. You attach a 10 minute session to the end of your regular workout 3 or 4 times a week, that's all you should need to really
    whip your abs into shape.