I'm not getting any younger

Options
jlapey
jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
HI, Today is my third day with My Fitness Pal so I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Julia, I'm 41 and 160-163 pounds. It seems no matter what I do, I fluctuate between the same 3 pounds. It's really starting to annoy me. I've told my daughter I'd live to be hundred, but at this weight and only 5 feet tall, I don't think I'm on the right track. I'm terrified of heart disease, diabetes and strokes, all of which run in my family. It's time to do something, I'm not getting any younger and it's just get harder and harder as the years go by. I'm tired, everything below my waist aches almost daily and I'm very unhappy when I look in the mirror. I'm also tired of tearing up every time I think about it. I've tried a food diary once before and quit after 2 weeks because it was just so tedious. This one seems easier to use, so hopefully, with a little support, I will stick with it. Now if I could just get pass the mental hurdle and all the excuses that keep me from seriously exercising. HELP!!!

Replies

• JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi Julia and welcome :flowerforyou:

I know exactly how you feel, I am 47 and also only 5' (even though my hubby insists I am 4'11.5") and I am currently weighing in over 180!! UGH!! I lost a little over 30lbs a couple years ago and it has found its way back, and brought some friends with it I am afraid. So now I am battling to get it off again...along with alot more.

I also have heart disease in the family and need to get this weight off as I would like to be around long enough to see my grandchildren grow up. I am finding it harder to get it to move the older I get, but I am determined this time to do it this time - it is way to important and not just about how I look anymore. I am fighting against hypothyroidism, perimenopause and also a gluten intolerance. But I am told I am stubborn so it is time to show all that who is boss!!! Me and only I can do this!!

This is a great site for keeping track, and very easy to use. You will also get lots of support and motivation when you need it.

Feel free to add me - We can do this!!!
    Good Luck
  • lori1939
    Options
    Good for you. I am just starting and would like to lose at least 50 pounds. It is so frustrating. I am not greast for exercise and I get depressed buying clothes. Lori1939
  • jlapey
    Options
    Lori: Me too, those fitting room mirrors make me cry.

Jan: Thanks, and this Peri-menopause bit is doing a number on me as well. The sleepless nights and being hot all the time are driving me insane.
  • mandiberry2012
    Options
    Welcome Julia! I have done the same thing my whole life...start a diet and stick with it for a little while and then quit....well I started back full force with MFP today, and I'm here for support and to support others....WE CAN AND WILL DO THIS....Feel free to add me :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi, Julia! I know its tough....I cant remember the last time I weighed what YOU do right now. I had that crying moment back in May. But I have diabetes and am getting myself right once and for all. You CAN do it. Its not easy....but you are younger and dont have diabetes yet. If you want support, feel free to add me....I will do my best to put the smile back on your face! :)
  • dreamer722
    dreamer722 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey, all! I don't post much but I'm here and I watch and listen a lot. I understand ... particularly about not getting any younger (I just turned 58 in July). This website has truly helped me ... and my wonderful 23 year old daughter who is also on it (I'm not sure why ... I wish I weighed what she weighs now but whatever ...) showed me this. I've been here since May 1 and I've lost 38 lbs so far. Hang in there, all! It's well worth it if you're persistent and stick to it and do what it tells you to do (which admittedly is harder to do sometimes than I care to admit). Anyway, welcome to the "newbies" (although I still feel like a newbie only being here 3 months now) ... and hello to all that have been here longer. I look forward to hearing from you all ... :happy:
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I think that you are on the right track, because after 50 your metabolism changes and your weight really shoots up. Especially focus on the exercise to burn calories and to build up your body strength and fitness while you still can. Later in life, you are more susceptible to injury, and it takes longer to bounce back to fitness. So Kudos for getting ahead while there is still time.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    You can do it, I'm 51 and going through pre-menopause and I have lost 22 pounds, my daughter got me started on here and I have acutally gotten smaller than her lol. I go for my 1 year check up today and kind of looking forward to it. You can lose even if you don't exercise. I only walk 25 minutes 4 times a week and I have reached my goal weight of 125 and am very happy so yes it can be done
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I also am from Louisiana but live in Florida now but heading to La this weekend. Welcome aboard
  • Couponqueenren
    Couponqueenren Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I am 41!!

I was recently told by my doc "lose 30 or go on pre-diabetes medication" Not happening, I have been the big girl all my life but I was healthy... now..... I'm scared!!!!

So I joined Planet Fitness at the end of June because they were cheap and I went (15 minutes the first day), and went (increasing by 5 minutes each time) and went (now up to 45 minutes to 1 hour 3-4x per week)... OMG I really got into it this time. I am enjoying the "me" time and I feel better already. But I wasn't losing weight.... hmmmm that's odd..... Everyone had me convinced it was the muscle weighs more than fat thing... but my clothes were still tight and I still looked the same.

Here comes August 1st and I buy myself a Fitbit and an Aria Scale and start logging on Fitbit... But I didn't like their food log so I started here because it works with the Fitbit..... In one week I have lost 7 lbs.... yay me!!! I think that I was working out but I was still taking in way too many calories even for the extra activity...

I am so excited to be able to have more control and be able to see exactly how much I should eat every day, can eat with my activities calories and when to STOP!!! It is also helping me really see the difference in what 400 calories of Strawberry Spinach Salad with Grilled Chicken is worth VS. 400 Calories of two pop tarts :)

I think the way to go is to get one thing down at a time. First I started moving more.... then I really focused on drinking more (water that is) and now I am focusing on the food part..... Not sure if I did it again if I would do it in that order, but that is how it worked for me. So anyone that wants to add me as a friend I would be stoked to have and give support.

Happy Getting Healthy to All!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Keeping a diary can be a little tedious, but after you used MFP for a while it becomes very easy! Try taking a couple minutes before your day starts and enter your food to get an idea. Once you enter it a few times, MFP keeps it in the Recent list. Also, you can add your own Meals and those make it easy to add (literally 2 seconds). Worst comes to worst, just select Quick Add...I seldom us this but it is there as an option.

Bottom line is we eat mostly the same things over and over....once you've added it you can copy from a previous day to the current day. So in 1 minute you can complete your diary on most days! Or get a very good idea. The more you use the diary the easier it becomes.
  • jlapey
    Options
    Thanks Kevin, you are right. I've also learned to create recipes in MFP (That's the annoying part, but once it's in there, it's in there.) for the things I eat most often, so when I have them again I only have to add a serving of that recipe rather than each of its ingredients. I'm going to make a serious effort to be more diligent this time.