Too much muscle from running!

Options
I started running about 2 months ago, and have recently bumped up my route to about 3-3.5 miles. I go about 4 times a week and the route is relatively flat. However! I have gained about 10 pounds of muscle mainly in my quads and glutes. It's to a point where few of my pants fit anymore! I have always been able to tone my lower body easily, but I did not think running/jogging would have such results. While I have noticed a reduction of fat all over, these muscly legs are a bit much! Any thoughts or advice?

Replies

2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what the problem is.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably the distance you are running. I would imagine if you start running more like 6 miles a session or more you will see your thigh slim down again. It's usually shorter distance runners that have bigger muscles.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I started running about 2 months ago, and have recently bumped up my route to about 3-3.5 miles. I go about 4 times a week and the route is relatively flat. However! I have gained about 10 pounds of muscle mainly in my quads and glutes. It's to a point where few of my pants fit anymore! I have always been able to tone my lower body easily, but I did not think running/jogging would have such results. While I have noticed a reduction of fat all over, these muscly legs are a bit much! Any thoughts or advice?

Just curious. Where in the world did you get the figure you gained 10llbs of muscle in 2 mos? How did you measure this?
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    not sure you're if serious . . . sounds like crap to me
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Just going to throw this out there (and hopefully your not just a troll)

There is pretty much no way that you could have gained 10 lbs of muscle from just running. It takes body builders months upon months to gain a couple pounds of muscle, and that's with a significant calorie surplus and heavy lifting.

It could just be water/glycogen storage that is causing the weight gain and making your pants fight tighter. Also perhaps the presence of some muscle building up while the outer lying layer of fat has yet to be shed that could be causing the pant tightness as well.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Fred Durst voice "trollin' trollin' trollin'
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Just curious. Where in the world did you get the figure you gained 10llbs of muscle in 2 mos? How did you measure this?

Was my first thought as well.
  • itsDorian7
    itsDorian7 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Damn 10 lbs? I'm gonna have to start running !
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    id like to see your food diary. in order to gain muscle, you need to eat at a surplus. If you are running as much as you say you are, you have to eating TONS of food to be gaining muscle like that.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

this
  • Lorisara75
    Options
    why is everyone being so mean? i thought this community was for support?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Maybe switch to riding a bike? :ohwell:

Seriously, like the others said, you didn't gain that much muscle in that short of a time period. Water weight makes more sense. When I am bloated, I can't fit in my pants. I have a few pairs of denim with 1% spandex that help when I am retaining water.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Some people on here are mean to people who are starting out. Arrogance is a better word.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    that seems odd to me too.. I was running like crazy and didn't gain or lose a single pound over six months... but if I give the benefit of the doubt... I don't see a problem with having muscly legs and thighs... better than scrawny and flabby, right?

muscle is mmm mmm mmm gooooood! would love to see pics of this progress!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It's virtually impossible to put on 10lbs of muscle in 2 mos, let alone doing cardio.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Some people on here are mean to people who are starting out. Arrogance is a better word.

I say it's neither. Right now, it's calling a spade a spade.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

itsimpossibru.jpg
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

It is...but there will always be people who make assumptions. If you really need help, answer the questions and ignore the meanies.
  • _runchick
    Options
    Just going to throw this out there (and hopefully your not just a troll)

There is pretty much no way that you could have gained 10 lbs of muscle from just running. It takes body builders months upon months to gain a couple pounds of muscle, and that's with a significant calorie surplus and heavy lifting.

It could just be water/glycogen storage that is causing the weight gain and making your pants fight tighter. Also perhaps the presence of some muscle building up while the outer lying layer of fat has yet to be shed that could be causing the pant tightness as well.

I agree 100% of ^^ the above (minus the troll part)... there is NO WAY you could have gained 10lbs of muscle in such a short period of time AND for sure with running .... I am a runner and have been for years and no one..... NOT ONE of my running friends (marathoners etc..) have ever had this problem.

You have to really look at your diet and nutrition. Initially when you start running, it takes quite a few months for the weight to come off (all depends on the person, for we are all different) - but when it does and you check your diet and NOT overeat - then you will see that all will balance out. Also.... use a measuring tape and keep an eye on inches you lose/gain, not just weight.