My take on "artificial vs natural" when it comes to food

Options

Replies

• xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I agree on all points but...

My take is clean vs artificial vs junk. When I hear artificial food, I can't help but think about supplements as meal replacements. On clean vs junk front, I think eating clean 100% would be very demotivating like you said for many people. It's stressful to keep forcing yourself away from a pleasure all the time. I'm not saying people should indulge and go back to bad eating habits but if that one cookie is going to be the pain relief for the life change, then the blasphemous junk you take is well justified. Hence it's not unnatural to see "Oh I've been eating clean for a week now but I binged on X", the stricter a diet gets, the more discouraging it is on many people. Those who can eat 100% clean, well... kudos to them. On a side note, at least a good half of such people that I personally know have never been known to like junk food all through their lives anyway so they're not affected by a drastic change.

As for clean vs artificial, I'm very skeptic about supplements. Not in terms of health concerns but in terms of how people easily resort to them. I think it's worrisome when an average adult (no medical conditions, restrictive diet, enormous protein intake goal etc) turns to supplements when they can't get enough of a macro. "I want to buy protein powder because I can't get enough proteins." Well... You're getting 30 grams, sure it's not enough but really, supplements? You can't include more protein sources to your diet? I'm sorry, that's just bs to me and a very bad excuse to use supplements. If this thing is about a healthy lifestyle with a healthy diet and body training, then not being willing to fix your diet is as bad as not moving your *kitten* off the couch.

Junk is there as junk, you don't fill your house with junk. Supplements are there to supplement, we're not in a sci-fi movie yet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,617 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love this.
    Thank you. It has worked for my clients especially when it comes to how they deal with maintenance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I also go by the 80/20 rule and I'm in good shape! For me if I deprive myself I go crazy, but if I don't deprive myself, I exhibit more self control and usually pick the better choices because I like them! There is no set rules to life, just try to be the best you can!

I have also found that over the years I have lost taste for a lot of junk that I used to like, like Cheetos for instance. They were at a party the other day and I had one for old time's sake and I did not like it at all. I prefer the veggies and hummus, something I would have turned my nose at 10 years ago. Another one was cotton candy. When we took the kids to Universal Studios a few weeks ago I got a big bag that I would have devoured only 3-4 years ago...I took a couple handfuls and it was enough. Interesting how the body works.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I agree on all points but...

My take is clean vs artificial vs junk. When I hear artificial food, I can't help but think about supplements as meal replacements. On clean vs junk front, I think eating clean 100% would be very demotivating like you said for many people. It's stressful to keep forcing yourself away from a pleasure all the time. I'm not saying people should indulge and go back to bad eating habits but if that one cookie is going to be the pain relief for the life change, then the blasphemous junk you take is well justified. Hence it's not unnatural to see "Oh I've been eating clean for a week now but I binged on X", the stricter a diet gets, the more discouraging it is on many people. Those who can eat 100% clean, well... kudos to them. On a side note, at least a good half of such people that I personally know have never been known to like junk food all through their lives anyway so they're not affected by a drastic change.

As for clean vs artificial, I'm very skeptic about supplements. Not in terms of health concerns but in terms of how people easily resort to them. I think it's worrisome when an average adult (no medical conditions, restrictive diet, enormous protein intake goal etc) turns to supplements when they can't get enough of a macro. "I want to buy protein powder because I can't get enough proteins." Well... You're getting 30 grams, sure it's not enough but really, supplements? You can't include more protein sources to your diet? I'm sorry, that's just bs to me and a very bad excuse to use supplements. If this thing is about a healthy lifestyle with a healthy diet and body training, then not being willing to fix your diet is as bad as not moving your *kitten* off the couch.

Junk is there as junk, you don't fill your house with junk. Supplements are there to supplement, we're not in a sci-fi movie yet.
    My take on supplements. That's exactly what they are............supplements. They supplement what you should try to do with food. Supplements attribute to about 1% of someone's overall physique from most research I've read. And while I agree that getting protein through food is better, a protein shake is faster to make than a eating a shake if you want a quick protein source on the go. They have their place, but again they are there to supplement an already good diet.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I also go by the 80/20 rule and I'm in good shape! For me if I deprive myself I go crazy, but if I don't deprive myself, I exhibit more self control and usually pick the better choices because I like them! There is no set rules to life, just try to be the best you can!

I have also found that over the years I have lost taste for a lot of junk that I used to like, like Cheetos for instance. They were at a party the other day and I had one for old time's sake and I did not like it at all. I prefer the veggies and hummus, something I would have turned my nose at 10 years ago. Another one was cotton candy. When we took the kids to Universal Studios a few weeks ago I got a big bag that I would have devoured only 3-4 years ago...I took a couple handfuls and it was enough. Interesting how the body works.
    Lol, I ate Cheetos the other day! But only like 10 pieces.

IDEA Fitness member
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reinforcing my already existing plans of "everything in moderation"!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    So when it comes to food, taste, texture and overall enjoyment play a factor. I haven't found "natural" substitute that tastes like a McDonald's Quarter pounder with cheese. Or for gummy worms. Or Pop Tarts. While they do have man made chemicals in them, if you don't overindulge in them, there is no evidence to show that they will end up being your demise (death) if you have it every once in while or in moderation.

I agree so much with this - texture is very important to me. I have sensory integration difficulties, and there are some foods that I eat purely for the sensory aspect, because it helps me deal with sensory overload. Gummy worms is one of them! :-) And for me, potato chips and nachos. If I eat them a lot, I feel uncomfortable, but just now and then, in small portions, they are very helpful and nice to eat. I do try to look for brands that don't have artificial additives in though, because my body is sensitive to artificial additives, and I do feel it the next day if I've eaten them.
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Great thought provoking post. I am constantly reminding myself not to make this more difficult than it has to be and not to push myself so hard that I burn out (diet or exercise). I tend to jump into things with both feet and sometimes I fizzle out because of it.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Great post.

Did you really HAVE to mention the quarter pounder with cheese though? :p
    Yep. It's my go to when I want to eat junk.

IDEA Fitness member

Well sure, but can't you give a girl a break with putting delicious ideas in her head? Sheesh! :p
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Great post Niner. I agree.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Great post Niner. I agree.
    I KNEW you would.:laugh: :laugh:
    Always good to have your approval.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Great thought provoking post. I am constantly reminding myself not to make this more difficult than it has to be and not to push myself so hard that I burn out (diet or exercise). I tend to jump into things with both feet and sometimes I fizzle out because of it.
    Lol, it's a "journey" my clients will always say, but I always add "but it's okay to include Disneyland along the way".

IDEA Fitness member
  • brenda4life
    brenda4life Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love this post. I am just starting to get my life (and my husbands) back on track. When I say just starting, I mean I just started TODAY!. I love your 80/20 rule. I too jump in with all my exuberance only to fizzle in a month. This is encouraging to me. Thank you, again!
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Where were you when the clean eaters were calling me "mediocre" because I subscribe to the "everything in moderation 80/20" mindset? That you had to eat clean in order to be "awesome". :huh:

Oh yeah, you were on your cruise. :laugh:
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Though I continue to agree with you, I just stumbled across this and thought you'd find it interesting. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/08/07/genetically-engineered-foods-hazards.aspx?e_cid=20120807_DNL_artNew_1
  • peresosaiii
    peresosaiii Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law and I had a discussion about this not too long ago. We are both training for different running events, and of course have our different views on preperation as far as food is concerned. She is on the clean eating/fasting side, and I am on the keep it as natural as possible. And if that means a sliver of all natural homemade chocolate cake as you mentioned every once in a while, maybe after a 10 miler then that's what I'll take. I am in need of some weight loss. I look at it as the added benefit to my running. I told her I was going to enjoy my 1/2 marathon hill running journey that I will be par taking in November, and not deprive myself of any foods. Of course some will have their limits.
    As you mentioned, other types of programs, certains foods, the not so faves made me nauseous and yes I was irritable.

I never thought I would say this, but I actually crave spinach, sweet potatoes, tomatoes and salmon quite often.

Thank you for posting your take on "artificial vs natural". Now I don't feel so crazy.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Where were you when the clean eaters were calling me "mediocre" because I subscribe to the "everything in moderation 80/20" mindset? That you had to eat clean in order to be "awesome". :huh:

Oh yeah, you were on your cruise. :laugh:
    Lol, eating in moderation!!!:laugh: :laugh: And looking good doing it too!

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Though I continue to agree with you, I just stumbled across this and thought you'd find it interesting. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/08/07/genetically-engineered-foods-hazards.aspx?e_cid=20120807_DNL_artNew_1
    Thanks. I'll look at it later.

IDEA Fitness member
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Good post - agree with almost all of it, exept that the Olympic runner with artificial legs/feet is from South Africa, not South America! Go Oscar Pistorius!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    My sister-in-law and I had a discussion about this not too long ago. We are both training for different running events, and of course have our different views on preperation as far as food is concerned. She is on the clean eating/fasting side, and I am on the keep it as natural as possible. And if that means a sliver of all natural homemade chocolate cake as you mentioned every once in a while, maybe after a 10 miler then that's what I'll take. I am in need of some weight loss. I look at it as the added benefit to my running. I told her I was going to enjoy my 1/2 marathon hill running journey that I will be par taking in November, and not deprive myself of any foods. Of course some will have their limits.
    As you mentioned, other types of programs, certains foods, the not so faves made me nauseous and yes I was irritable.

I never thought I would say this, but I actually crave spinach, sweet potatoes, tomatoes and salmon quite often.

Thank you for posting your take on "artificial vs natural". Now I don't feel so crazy.
    Love spinach, bok choy, mung bean sprouts, and tomatoes too. They are usually the staple of my vegetable intake........along with an occasional Poptart.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member