Iron GIrl Duathon training

Options
Has anyone competed in this race? Is it possible to train for it in 6 weeks? The race consists of 2 mile (run), 22 miles (cycling) and 2 mile (run). My worry is about the transitions and training enough for the cycling. I run in 5K and 10K races so the running is not an issue for me, but what concerns should I keep in mind for cycling. I attend spin class but I know it's not the same as being on the trail/road. Any advice would be great. Do you have a training regiment you want to share with me??

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I did a sprint distance duathlon last Saturday (2km run, 20km bike, 5km run) and would suggest you get riding outdoors (the spinning classes are great for your fitness but they don't replicate riding on the road) and incorporate some bricks into your schedule (run immediately after a ride - don't be surprised of your legs are a little wobbly)

Rehearse your transitions .The first duatlon I did I used cages on my pedals and biked in my running shoes - less mechanically efficient but made the transition a breeze; this year I used my cycling shoes - T1 went smoothly but running in to T2 with cycling shoes was less than optimal (experienced triathletes will actually pedal with their feet resting o top of their shoes coming in to the dismount line) There are quite a few good videos on youtube regarding transitions you may also want to have a look at beginnertriathlete.com

Good luck!
  • sempertracy
    sempertracy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Great thank you!
  • andrewpepper23
    Options
    Bike hard, bike often. Transitions can be tough. There is alot of good advice out there on YouTube and triathlon blogs. I always cross train twice a week, be it swim it bike. I agree with the guy above. Go for a ride then run.