Idea for Thanksgiving (Yes, I know, it's early)

Options
I was thinking about making Thanksgiving less about the food this year.

Yes, it's supposed to be about giving thanks, which it is, but most of us really also make it about the food. If we didn't have those awesome meals, the holiday might feel really different.

What I'm thinking of doing, so that the food isn't such a huge focus...

Volunteering somewhere for the day, then go to a restaurant for dinner. I'd eat less at a restaurant than I would making my own food, plus I think giving back to the community is a good way of giving thanks. Just not sure what volunteer opportunities there would be besides soup kitchens.

Replies

• jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This is a FANTASTIC IDEA!!!! :smile:

You are so right about the meaning of Thanksgiving and how it has become all about food. My mother-in-law is making a big Thanksgiving meal this year and I don't think I can get away from eating that, but I am definitely going to try and volunteer during the day. thank you for sharing!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea! You could volunteer to deliver meals to those who can't leave the house. Or you can volunteer at an assisted living facility! I'm sure those older people without family would love the company and help! :smile:
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I agree! I'm running a 5 mile race early Thanksgiving morning to benefit the homeless. I'm making my boyfriend and brothers run it too!
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I love that idea, I'm going to share it with my husband and see if we can brainstorm something as a family to do. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • danielley08
    Options
    That is a wonderful idea....Thanksgiving is a VERY busy day at every Soup Kitchen...and you will feel such a sense of accomplishment everytime one of those people smiles and says Thank you : ) (espeically the little kids)....just melts my heart!

Be sure to share your experience :)
  • metsgirl31
    Options
    My aunt and I are running at 5K Thanksgiving morning! I'm super excited for it!