Best Foods to Have On-hand for Snacks

Options
2»

Replies

• wavdawg4
    wavdawg4 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm doing to have to look into that laughing cow sheese... :)
  • soul_sista88
    soul_sista88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I loveeeeeeeeeeeeee watermelon! Also I eat honey roasted peanuts sometimes, lightly salted rice cake, 1 graham cracker, fruit (bananas, clementines, strawberries, grapes), unsalted or lightly salted popcorn, boiled celery (You have to try it. It is delicious. You just cut up the celery and put it in a pan on the stove with water, but no oil or butter. The celery has its own salt so no seasoning either. To me, it's the best way to eat it.)
  • 1SlimShaylee
    Options
    baby carrotts! you can eat tons of them!!! 85g is only 35 calories
  • xshortiex
    xshortiex Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers, carrots, cherries, strawberries, etc. are what I usually bring with me to snack on at my desk at work :)
  • sabinavaughan
    sabinavaughan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Careful with dried fruits..higher sugar content (at least that is what I was told) stick with fresh fruit!
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    Nuts, laughing cow cheese on crackers, cottage cheese.
    Cheese sticks
    100 cal bags of popcorn

my kind of snacks ; )
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    reduced sodium beef jerkey
    apple slices
    reduced fat cheese sticks
    baby carrots
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hi!

My favorites are:
    greek yogurt
    raw unsalted almonds (1/4 cup does the trick, I swear)
    celery with natural peanut butter
    cottage cheese with cinnamon (or salt and pepper and tomato slices)
    apples or bananas
    baby carrots with hummus
    hardboiled eggs (I can't eat eggs, otherwise this would be on my list!)

I try to get some kind of protein in my snacks. It helps keep the hunger away.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Peanuts
    Almonds
    fiber one bars
    protein bars

EDIT: oooo forgot beef jerky
  • Cherryblosm3
    Cherryblosm3 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • mama2mila
    Options
    I love snacks! I honestly eat every 3 hours or so.... morning snack is generally some plain greek yogurt w/ fruit or a hard-boiled egg, afternoon snack is raw veggies or an apple w/ peanut butter or veggies and a cheese stick, evening snack is almost always a homemade fruit/yogurt popsicle. Popcorn is another good one, or dry cereal. Just portion it out! And drink lots of water!!
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    -Pre chopped veggies like carrot stick etc with hummous / fat free dips etc.
    -Potions of fruit - clementines, plums or bananas are easy to carry around with you. I always have a couple in my hand bag :)
    -Nuts & seeds.
    -Cottage cheese / laughing cow cheese / peanut butter with light crackers / thins.
    -You can get pre-cooked frozen chicken strips / chuncks which I defrost and seperate into protions of 100g approx 116 cals and a good high protein snack and seem to keep me fuller for longer.
    -Protein shake mix to prepare as and when needed with water or skimmed milk.
    -Graze.com do great little snack boxes, come in handy if your too busy to prep some of your own goodies.
    -Low cal hot chocolate is good for chocolate cravings.
    -Low cal jelly pots or fun size choc bars if you have a sweet tooth

Hope this helps :)
  • VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi:

I just started dieting (first time ever) so my body is not used to the 1000 calorie (or more, because I have never counted my meals) reduction. What are the best (low cal, carb, fat and sugar) snacks to have on hand to make it between meals?

Thanks!

OP and readers....read this prior post TOPIC: 88 Snacks Under 100 Calories! by jeffdoc. I bookmarked it and sent the list to my cell phone. So that when I am at the grocery store I have the list with me. Then I know where to go in the store and what to get for my snacks.

LINK: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/588804-88-snacks-under-100-calories

Some of my recent Snack Favorites:

Celery & PB low fat & low sodium (Natural)
    Green Apple & PB low fat & low sodium (Natural)
    Celery & Sweet Red Pepper Hummus
    Blue Corn Chips & Sweet Red Pepper Hummus
    Blue Corn Chips & Guacamole
    Homemade Guacamole
    Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches - Mint
    Lindy's Italian Ice - Cherry or Raspberry
    Zucchini Sauted & Simply Deliciuos Cedar's - Cucumber Garlic Greek Strained Yogurt Dip Tzatziki, 2 tbls
    Light Tuna mixed w/ Spinach artichoke dip & Pita (Lein Cuisine)
    Great Value - High Fiber Oats & Chocolate Chewy Granola Bar
    Keebler - 100 Calorie Right Bites Fudge Shoppe Fudge Grahams, 1 Pouch (20g)

Thank you all for sharing your low calorie snack ideas. Yummy! It is full of Deliciousness! !

Have a blessed and prosperous day! † ♥♥HUGS♥♥

Bump this to save for later!
    Elephantbutt.gif
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Carrots and Hummus are my usual go-to snacks. I also keep some granola bars (usually Kashi) around. Mini Babybel light cheeses. Bananas and apples. Klondike bars. (Okay, maybe you should leave that last one off.)
  • Xstitcher74
    Xstitcher74 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I eat about ten almonds, one at a time. Takes the edge off and takes long enough to chew that my brain registers that I've had enough
    Also, celery (because it takes more calories to chew celery than are in celery). But it also takes the edge off "I just need to chew on something."
    :happy:
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    String Cheese
    Beef Jerky
    Cottage Cheese
    Fruit (Apples, berries, or watermelon are my faves)
    Nuts - almonds, peanuts, macadamia nuts
    Trail mix if you watch your serving size
    Greek yogurt with berries mixed in

I just can't get in to raw veggies - wish I could, but can't make myself eat them. I like them cooked though
  • Mnk777
    Mnk777 Posts: 6
    Options
    trail mix
    fruits
    raw veggies with light ranch
    fiber one bars
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    hummus with veggies or if you have a few extra calories, pita chips
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm working on putting foods into my body that are less processed, more natural. Toward that end, here's what I snack on (when I'm not blowing it):

fresh veggies with low-fat dip
    fresh fruit (the nectarines and berries are great right now!)
    yogurt
    light string cheese (sometimes--but I'm also trying to keep my sodium down, so this one's not very often)

I also find that a cup of herbal or decaf black tea can be very satisfying.

Good luck to you!
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    nuts (especially almonds), string cheese, hummus and any kind of veggie that can used to scoop it, low fat popcorn