Just cardio?

Options
2»

Replies

• PeterThompson
    Options
    well it does make you loose weight but you still have to do some lifting to tone up why not use some dumbbells http://bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com/
  • filming_ghosts
    Options
    You don't have to do hours and hours of weights to get results. You could just do a few POP pilates videos (on youtube) a day in addition to cardio to preserve your muscle mass. :)
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great it's my favorite, but if you want tightness then weights will do that for you.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you just to cardio, you will lose quite a bit of muscle. It is best to just do light weight training to at least maintain the muscle you already have. If you just to cardio you'll end up with a "skinny fat" look

Really? If you do "just cardio" instead of "just couch" you'll "lose quite a bit of muscle"? How does that work, exactly? -- Never heard this theory before.
  • ncotanche
    Options
    Thought: most dancers wont touch heavy weights and they look fabulous. However they use principles from yoga and pilates to build the lean muscle they need. I was like this when I was my healthiest and dancing competitively.

Now that I am trying to get back into shape I focus on cardio. However I do take a few classes at a studio that incorporate light weights into a cardio work out. I'm thrilled with the results, and it keeps me out of weight room (which I happen to still be terrified of). This might be option that would work for you.

Ultimately, it is your choice weather to weight train or not. However if you are looking to create muscle without weight training you need to be smart about your cardio work out. Not all exercises are created equal.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Both is best.
  • Cassie8877
    Cassie8877 Posts: 177
    Options
    "Fat skinny"? lol I understand.
    Seriously. I was skinny fat for all of my 20's and most of my 30's. I was a size 4, but man was I "mushy".

That's kinda how I feel!!! Back to weight training for me too :) don't want the mushy fat :) good luck!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you just to cardio, you will lose quite a bit of muscle. It is best to just do light weight training to at least maintain the muscle you already have. If you just to cardio you'll end up with a "skinny fat" look

Really? If you do "just cardio" instead of "just couch" you'll "lose quite a bit of muscle"? How does that work, exactly? -- Never heard this theory before.

When you lose weight with cardio, you are losing both fat and muscle... Lift weights, and you preserve most of that muscle and lose mainly fat.

When you lose lean muscle mass, your metabolism goes down... and thats why people who do only cardio need to keep eating less and less to maintain.. and seriously, who wants to eat less? I don't.. thats for sure!