Having a "I'm so hungry!" day

Options

Replies

• Kamiamama
    Kamiamama Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    water water and more water..or a piece of whole grain toast with a little peanut butter..i usually eat this when im having a craving for something sweet
  • ASH0424
    ASH0424 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you made need to eat every 2-3 hours with all the working out.
    I do that when I am eating right and then I am typically able to process if it's real hungry on those I am starving all day, days we have.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Vegetables, they're low-cal and they're filling so you can eat a bunch without worrying about over-eating calories.
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    When I have those days, no amount of water in the world will take away the hunger. So I recalculated my calories to maintenance, and tried to stay within those macros for the day. I knew the extra calories would not make me gain, and I felt so much better once I ate. In the end, I don't really think it slowed me down.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I had one of those days yesterday and as previous posters said, popcorn is a good thing to fill up on. I have an air popper and I have 220 canola oil prepacked bags from the Boy Scouts depending on my mood. By the time I get sick of chewing, I'm usually full. Plus it's got lots of fiber.
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have luck with carbs and protien.

Also, keep in mind your body may be sending you a signal. Maybe today you should go with it, and let yourself eat a bit more calories today without guilt. As long as this doesnt happen every day it shouldn't hurt your long term goals.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm having an "I'm so hungry I could gnaw my own arm off" type day. It always happens the day after I do HIIT or Intervals, and I did running intervals yesterday, and I'm unfortunately saving up calories for a splurge meal tonight for a special occasion with friends. I've found that chewing gum has helped some, or chewing on ice (not good for your teeth though) and having my snacks be higher in protein/good fat has helped, but ultimately, today is one of those days I could eat probably 3000 calories and not think twice about it...unfortunately.
  • crazyintensity
    Options
    I give in to the hunger beast...hence my problems :P Actually, I'm finding that eating a salad (with little dressing) and plenty of water helps keep me feeling fuller.
  • Christine3571
    Options
    I am having the same sort of morning! Just grabbed my container of watermelon (supposed to be my 3 p.m. snack!)--hoping that will help. But now it is only 12:30 and I have no food left for the day :-(
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    i say listen to your body and go with it. just try to keep it healthy. think you need a fuel up day once in a while. lots of fiber, protein and water! x
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I usually have those days when I havent had enough sleep. It makes me ravenous for carbs because my body is desperately trying to get energy.

So you could have a nap, eat lots of carbs and workout loads, drink tonnes of water or sleep it out!

This is happening to me today, I worked out hard yesterday, didnt get enough sleep last night and today Im ravenous. Ate my lunch for breakfast and all I can think about is food. I NEED 6-8 hours or my body definately wants more food for energy.
    Im half tempted to take a half day today Im so hungry and tired. :yawn:
  • kornmaiden
    kornmaiden Posts: 109
    Options
    I load up on carrots and celery.
  • moonfire628
    Options
    Have you had any fluids to drink today? Your body actually can't really differentiate between thirst and hunger, so you may actually need to drink something. Try that and see if the feeling subsides.

I agree with this; about 70% of the time you think you're "hungry" you're actually just thirsty. I would try drinking about a cup of water and waiting 20 minutes (it takes that long for your stomach to realize it's "full") to see if the hunger subsides. If not, then you really are hungry, and I suggest eating oatmeal or a fiber bar or nuts to pack on some protein and feel full so you're not constantly snacking and going through your calories.

Although, you might just be getting your period. Whenever I'm PMSing it's like there isn't enough food in the world to satisfy me, and I always feel like the sole reason world hunger exists. :tongue:
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid food and do something to keep myself busy on those days. I had one yesterday so I ran a bunch of errands and then I spent most of the evening sitting out in my neighbors yard chatting and drinking tea. I worked really well til her son came out with a box of Cheez its!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I felt that way for basically the whole month.

I upped my protein. Increased the fat content in my snacks (went from reduced fat cheese and crackers to peanut butter and crackers.) And added a few more nuts to my breakfast.

If you aren't eating greek yogurt, try it instead. Also, add more protein to your snacks. And keep your fiber high. Good luck!
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I hate those days! Im noticing that if i have not prepped any meals etc, i will most certainly eat junk. I try and stick to 5-6 meals a day which will keep me full! And i usually do it at a certain time. example:
    Breakfast - 915-930
    Lunch - 12pm (i usually have a BIG salad, and protein)
    Snack - 3pm ( usually by this time ill just have some veggies or fruit or handful of almonds )
    Post workout - around 5-6ish( i usually just have a protein drink here)
    Dinner 6-7ish
    Evening snack : No later than 9pm (should stick to something light as it is beginning to be late)
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options

If you aren't eating greek yogurt, try it instead.

I suggest you get the PLAIN one, and add flavor yourself. So much less cals etc.

In the container, i mix Stevia (or you can use another sugar substitute) and vanilla extract. THATS IT! Tastes soooooooooooooooo good.
  • run4life17
    run4life17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. Here's the solution: WATER! You're definitely thirsty if you can't seem to "get full."

Best of luck to you!!!
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. Here's the solution: WATER! You're definitely thirsty if you can't seem to "get full."

Best of luck to you!!!

I just can't agree with this. Last time it happened to me I drank 16 oz water, waited 20 minutes. Drank 16 oz water, waited 20 minutes. Drank 16 oz boullion, waited 20 min. Drank another 16 oz water, waited 20 minues. Then since my stomach was still grumbling with hunger, I ate. Only the food fixed it.
  • brucemily
    brucemily Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I think water was definitely a factor - so I'm drinking it like a fish right now - but also just "one of those days". I know the carb-hunger and this isn't it because I was willing to eat *literally* anything in my path.

Luckily I'm in the home stretch and about to go to lunch where I plan on eating the World's Largest Salad with protein for days!!! :)

Thanks all!