Gained wt.

Options
Why did a gain a lb.? :sad:

This was my first weigh in, I just started last Tuesday. I have been doing good I think and I have gained a lb. What's up with that?

I have not had any pepsi or fast food for 8 days and I think my food intake has been exceptionally well compared to what it used to be I have also diligently been walking every day and some days have done Pilates.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong would help, my profile and food chart is open.

Thanks. :grumble:

Replies

• kristineevans
    kristineevans Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Be patient, it's only a pound could be water or just a fluctuation, keep at it and the number will go down as long as you are logging correctly
  • Fitty_Cent
    Fitty_Cent Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting your new diet.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Your weight fluctuates a lot from day to day, so it's hard to tell just in one week if things are working. Keep tracking and reevaluate your diet and fitness plan after a bit more time has passed. For me, it usually takes six to eight weeks to tell if something's working.

As to why you gained, well it could be water weight. On the other hand, whenever I start dieting after periods of eating liberally, I find that I usually get a bit "backed up," if you know what I mean! I've read that this is common when beginning a new diet. The food sitting in your intestines can really affect the scale.
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Do you have scales that measure body fat, lean muscle, and water %? That might help you interpret your gain better, and these days they are not that expensive. Regardless, even though it is not an encouraging start it seems your first week has been better eating and you are definitely on the way to getting to the weight you want to be. Are you doing any extra exercise, like walking or something?
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    It's probably just water retention. You should see a loss next week if you continue to eat healthy and exercise. Hang in there!:smile:
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the pound, but I don't think that you should ever be under 1200 calories and on the days that you exercise you should eat all or at least some of those calories back. Eating too few calories is just going to slow your metabolism down.
  • Vegetables_are_fun
    Options
    Are you exercising in an addition to adjusting food? If so, you're muscles might be swollen and that can make you gain weight.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    It's only been a week! This is going to take time - a life-time commitment actually! :smile: You might want to watch your sodium intake. I have mine set at 1500 and I don't PUT salt on anything! I noticed you like your Peanut butter (which is fine) but I also noticed your PB entry didn't record any sodium? Unless it's natural it will have some (that stuff is hiding in almost everything!). Drink lots of water too. Finally, if you're working out, water is retained to repair muscle. So.....that 1 pound is highly unlikely to be fat! Just keep it up! You can get there - and stay there for good!

PS. I'm 49 and have lost over 40 lbs in 10 months - it can be done at our age! :flowerforyou:
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are generally on track. Keep drinking lots of water (more than the 8 minimum) watch sodium, and get comfortable with the idea that you are making a lifestyle change. If your goal is fitness and healthy living, you will certainly get some of the results you desire (like weight loss.) Keep posting when you have ???s so you get the suppport you need. Good luck :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,291 Member
    Options
    I have always maintained and noticed that I lose or gain my weight a week later. So, if you jus started a week ago.. you could be like me..and the loss will start showing up next week. W

The advice on sodium is a great one. Don't eat prepackaged or frozen diet meals. Make your own food and cut the sodium and drink water..that speeds up loss.

Also..working out will make you retain fluid in your muscles...and it shows up on the scale as false weight. It can takes weeks to for it to go away.

So..just plug along and hit your mark...it will happen.. however..I understand why it is discouraging. Remember, your body doesn't know you weigh it every week expecting a loss. It loses when it loses.
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Drink a ton of water and get those toxins flushed out, eat more food especially on days you work out and try increasing your fiber a little. Don't get discouraged after a week of trying because everyone is different on how they lose. Keep working hard and tracking everything. Don't be afraid to eat food because starving yourself doesn't help. Give yourself a few weeks of tracking and working out. Maybe even take measurements and see how those change since the inches matter more than the weight.
  • stylishgirl
    stylishgirl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    mostly i'm echoing what others have said. plateaus are frustrating but sometimes the body does what it wants. so if you're making the right choices, don't fret too much about it. here's my 2 cents on things that might help.

1) increase the water some. I find that it really helps clean out anything stuck a bit. If you don't like water just force it down inbetween meals. when i'm really not into water, I take 4 times throughout the day (between meals) and just jug 2-3 glasses. in a couple of days you'll find yourself naturally drinking more and won't have to force it.

2) I don't think you're eating enough calories. this slows down your body's metabolism. try to eat within 100 calories of your goal. I even think its better to go 50 calories over than 100 calories under.

3) sodium levels seem fine, but keep an eye on the prepackaged foods since i sometimes find that the sodium levels are off in the database (also #1 helps counteract that).

4) try to increase fiber a bit, which again will help get things moving along.

5) sometimes having a jumpstart on weightloss can really help with motivation, so if you want a faster weightloss to start there are some short term healthy ways to do it. my acupuncturist put me on a severe detox during which i lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks (keep in mind I'm morbidly obese, so that's like a normal size person losing 5 pounds). It was hard, due to its severity but not because I was hungry AT ALL (in fact she specifically instructed me to eat whenever I was hungry, no matter what my calorie intake was). I really liked it because it helped me toward my weight goal but also a clean eating goal.
  • kazdav
    kazdav Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I agree I don't thnk you are eating enough.
  • jehuster
    jehuster Posts: 168
    Options
    I don't know about the pound, but I don't think that you should ever be under 1200 calories and on the days that you exercise you should eat all or at least some of those calories back. Eating too few calories is just going to slow your metabolism down.

Alot of people have told me that it isn't necessary to eat the exercised calories back and I agree with them because I have tried and that day I did I felt extremely full and uncomfortable.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Weight as a measurement of health is overrated.

I wish I'd tracked measurements as these would have been a better indicator of progress.

Weight loss should not be the goal, a healthy change in body composition should be (i.e. less fat, more muscle).