Potluck lunch - how do I log?

Kath712
Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
We had a potluck lunch at work, and I'm sitting here trying to remember what I ate and how I can possibly log it in my food diary. :huh: I tried to stick with small tastes of the things I enjoy. I'm happy to say I skipped the pizza and club rolls - I can have them anytime. But I feel like I'd be here all day trying to log the foods I ate, and who knows if what's in the database is similar to what people actually brought? Any advice???

BTW - I couldn't get over how there were no healthy choices at this lunch. I brought apple slices with caramel dip. And I swear that was the ONLY fruit or vegetable on the table!! :noway: Unless you count potato salad as a vegetable. I really tried to fill up on apple slices!!

Replies

• Best advice is to log it as close to it as possible and over estimate.
  • It's hard with those type situations - if you tried a bunch of small things - and don't want to log each and every one - just make your best estimate and add a food item such as potluch and enter the calories. That's what I would do anyways.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    I have a church men's group thing that I do once a month. It's a blast. I go to a very free thinking wierd funky church full of old hippies, and we have riotous times. I eat and drink and laugh, and I will not keep notes of what I'm eating when I'm enjoying my friends. So,,,,,,,

I created something in the food database called ""UU Men's group gnoshing". It's 500 calories per serving - 1/3 Protein - 1/3 fats - 1/3 carbs. If I nibble a little at men's group I'll log one serving, if I munch pretty good I'll log 1-1/2. If Sam brings any more of his handmade philo stuff I'll log 2 servings.

It's an unscientific dartboard guess, but I've been counting foods long enough to have a pretty good idea what 500 calories looks and feels like. It's a "close enough" thing, and good enough for one wednesday night a month.

I do keep track of my beer and log it separately of course.

It's in the food database if you want to use it. Just search for "UU" and it'll pop up.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Casper - what a great idea! And thanks for letting me know - this group at work is already starting to talk about the Thanksgiving luncheon. Whoo-boy!!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    When we do a potluck at lunch, I make sure I work out a lot, drink lots of water and nag the guys that don't cook to pick up a veggie tray as their contribution:smile:

As to logging... I can't keep track either so I just leave it that day and I am very good the next day
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,133 Member

I created something in the food database called ""UU Men's group gnoshing". It's 500 calories per serving - 1/3 Protein - 1/3 fats - 1/3 carbs. If I nibble a little at men's group I'll log one serving, if I munch pretty good I'll log 1-1/2. If Sam brings any more of his handmade philo stuff I'll log 2 servings.

It's an unscientific dartboard guess, but I've been counting foods long enough to have a pretty good idea what 500 calories looks and feels like. It's a "close enough" thing, and good enough for one wednesday night a month.

That is a terrific idea. Thank you so much for sharing it. I'll be using it soon.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    I belong to a Baptist church and we love to eat :laugh: so we have a potluck almost once a month. I don't even bother logging on that day. I just count it as a cheat day and let it go at that. :bigsmile: Of course I try not to overdo it on the eating. I'll try to eat the healthiest stuff or have small servings.
This discussion has been closed.