Best things to eat for alot of energy before exercise??

Options
I recently started a new workout routine and keep finding myself running out of energy half way through which is frustrating, I finish the routine but feel like im doing it half a$$ed at the end. So im asking for the best thing to eat before working out that will keep my energy levels up and keep me going? Any suggestions.. Thanks in advance..

Replies

• Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough food throughout the day? Are you eating a healthy diet? Getting enough sleep at night?
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough food throughout the day? Are you eating a healthy diet? Getting enough sleep at night?

I stick pretty closely to my calorie intake for the day and eat most of my exercise calories back. I also eat a pretty healthy diet except for a few things here and there. As for my sleep it was thrown off for a few weeks due to quitting smoking so finally this past week im starting to sleep normally again.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Why not slam a gel mid workout?
  • mystikalbeanz
    Options

What kind of gel? Im new to all this and am not familiar with all the different things out there. The only gel ive ever seen are those gatoraide gel things..
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I do half a banana or a 90 calorie, high fiber granola bar. Those seem to work for me.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

What kind of gel? Im new to all this and am not familiar with all the different things out there. The only gel ive ever seen are those gatoraide gel things..

First of all, what is your goal? Weight loss by any means neccessary or Muscle building?
    Also what are your current stats? Height? Weight? How many days per week do you go to the gym, how long at the gym and what type of excersises?
  • mystikalbeanz
    Options
    /quote]
    First of all, what is your goal? Weight loss by any means neccessary or Muscle building?
    Also what are your current stats? Height? Weight? How many days per week do you go to the gym, how long at the gym and what type of excersises?
    [/quote]

Im 5'4 and cw is 161.5. I also exercise 5 days a week which is a mixture of cardio and kickboxing which i used weighted gloves for and i also just started Ripped in 30 which you use weight for as well.. Im not doing weight loss by any means neccessary i want to get down to a weight of 135-140 and i want to be toned and fit.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Im 5'4 and cw is 161.5. I also exercise 5 days a week which is a mixture of cardio and kickboxing which i used weighted gloves for and i also just started Ripped in 30 which you use weight for as well.. Im not doing weight loss by any means neccessary i want to get down to a weight of 135-140 and i want to be toned and fit.

You need to make sure you are getting adequate carbs in for all that cardio. I would however recommend you maybe lighten up on the cardio and do some weights. I am not familiar with Ripped in 30 so I'm not sure if you get enough weights there or not. The key is to put on some muscle first (in your case, lean muscle) and then supplement the muscle build with cardio. You could do straight cardio but without having the muscle stamina, you will feel "half assed" like you do now.

So in conclusion, my recommendation is you go to 60% weights and conditioning and 40% cardio until the cardio seems like a breeze, at that point move to a 20% weights and conditioning 80% cardio to really shred that weight. Keep in mind, the more cardio you are putting your body through the more carbs you need to fuel the body.

I recommend buying an HRM once you get to the second stage (20/80) to know if your heart is in the ideal zone to burn that fat as well.
  • mystikalbeanz
    Options

You need to make sure you are getting adequate carbs in for all that cardio. I would however recommend you maybe lighten up on the cardio and do some weights. I am not familiar with Ripped in 30 so I'm not sure if you get enough weights there or not. The key is to put on some muscle first (in your case, lean muscle) and then supplement the muscle build with cardio. You could do straight cardio but without having the muscle stamina, you will feel "half assed" like you do now.

So in conclusion, my recommendation is you go to 60% weights and conditioning and 40% cardio until the cardio seems like a breeze, at that point move to a 20% weights and conditioning 80% cardio to really shred that weight. Keep in mind, the more cardio you are putting your body through the more carbs you need to fuel the body.

I recommend buying an HRM once you get to the second stage (20/80) to know if your heart is in the ideal zone to burn that fat as well.

Im prob not getting enough carbs for how much cardio i do, however I dont have a problem doing the cardio, ive just been getting whooped when i add the weights in. Like when i started doing the cardio with the weighted gloves, i really felt that and got fatigued at the end and with the Ripped in 30 thats really been kicking my butt because its a combo of strength with weights, cardio, and abs and when i uped to the 3 pound weights i was hurting. For my hieght ive always been at a higher weight then whats recommended because of my build. When i weighed 125-130 i looked like skelator and everyone thought i was anxorexic or bulemic so i dont follow the what they say a person at my height and age should weigh. Just want to lose the little bit of baby weight ive been carrying around from my daughter and get fit and toned!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Directly before the workout I would eat something like a banana.
  • Crazibaker
    Crazibaker Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Good question! I usually eat a banana and some low fat cheese before doing kickboxing. Keeps me going.
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Maybe keep the cardio and weights separate?
    If adding the weights to you cardio is whooping your @ss, then lose the weights in your cardio workouts.
    It could be that you're not as ready for the level you're doing as you think you are or maybe doing too much at once?
    Try toning it down a bit to see how you feel.
  • mystikalbeanz
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! Im going to try them and hopefully they help!
  • runningonmargaritas
    runningonmargaritas Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use Clif Shot Gels or Blocks. If I work out early in the am I cannot tolerate food that early but I can tolerate the gels. Bananas also work for me.