red meat?

Options
What do yall think about red meat? I cant completly get away from it but I dont know if I really have to worry about eating it once in a while.

Replies

• litterbitt
    litterbitt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a good steak about once a week. Just stick with lean cuts. Ribeye is too fatty. Filet mignon is lean, but expensive. If you can find flatirons, they are lean, tender and FABULOUS...and cheap! Publix carries them sometimes. Also a good marinated flank steak on the grill. Keep your portion reasonable and ENJOY. Also lean ground beef on the grill is delicous. Pour some baked beans over... yum.

Liz
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It's fine in moderation. I love steak but I don't eat it that much. Maybe once every couple of months. Actually I just had steak last weekend and it was delicious.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    No cholesterol issues here, so I eat red meat pretty often. I use the lean cuts and weight it to make sure it fits in my calorie allotment for the day. We probably eat it at least once a week. I think this week we're going to have grilled London Broil and probably a chuck roast in the crock pot, too. Yummy!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I cannot properly absorb iron from veggies, I only get a small amount because I lack an enzyme that should be naturally occurring in my body. So I eat red meat quite often. and I love it. red meat has an enzyme that assists in the absorption of iron, which keeps me from becoming anemic.
  • speedracer2007
    speedracer2007 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you're accustomed to having red meat in your diet because you enjoy it, I personally don't believe it's realistic to eliminate it completly from your diet. I won't. I love cheeseburgers and refuse to give them up...as long as I'm the cook and I use very hi quality lean meat. I believe that it's healthier to make long term lifestyle changes by eating some of the so-called "bad things" in moderation instead of giving them up completly and continue to crave them...I don't want to self destruct and cave into a crave and go entirely off the wagon because we know how difficult it is to get back on track. Just my 2 cents.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Red meat is best meat
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    LEAN red meat to me is as fine as any other lean protein source.

I've had stretches where I ate steak everyday and I don't think anything of it.
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I can never give up red meat. Give me a 16 oz Filet Mignon very rare please! LOL!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I love red meat and come from a family that had a cattle ranch. I don't give up my meat BUT I do measure it out. What we do is buy a filet mignon from BJ's or Sam's club and then slice them thin to tiny little steaks. You can marinate them and put them in a pan with those ridges and cook them. They are delicious, lean and since you check the ounces and follow your diet they really don't hurt you that much. In reality, beef is great for iron and we women need it. I'd rather eat beef then deal with supplements.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My girlfiend loves meat. She eats it day n nite.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Yes, please... rare!
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I believe that if the "red meat" is grass fed and not grain fed or shot up with hormones, that it is perfectly fine and healthy to be eating. Great vitamins and nutrients including kick *kitten* amounts of protein!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I think it's great... I have steak 2-3 times per week, ground beef probably 2-3 times as well.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My girlfiend loves meat. She eats it day n nite.

Winning!!!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It's high in fat and cholesterol.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It's high in fat and cholesterol.

"high" is a relative term.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Red meat is best meat

This plus I buy a grass fed cow, have it cut how I want it and then put it in my chest freezer about 1 week after it was roaming the pasture. Very little fat and none of the yucky stuff from the grocery store :tongue:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I love red meat! KC Strip steak is my favorite, grilled with just a bit of salt and pepper. :happy: (And a baked potato and broccoli on the side, great, now i'm craving steak! :explode: )
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I always hate seeing cows running around uncooked.
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I always hate seeing cows running around uncooked.

Love!