So confused...

Options
Okay so I'm on a 1200 cal. diet but I have trouble to eat those cal. while staying withing my carbs limit, and then if my carbs are at a good level my sugar is too high. What am I doing wrong? Are carbs bad or good. I would like to drop down 1 size within 5 weeks. Please share your wisdom with me. I really don't want to go into starvation mode because I don't know how to distribute my cals. Thanks.

Replies

• acthendricks
    acthendricks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't confuse good carbs with bad carbs! Good carbs...think fruits and veggies....bad carbs....crackers, bread, junk food. Don't forget to weight train....muscle boosts metabolism....fat does not!
  • BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue.
    But let me teel you that you can probably eat more then 1200 calories to lose just one dress size in 5 weeks. 1200 calories is the lowest you can go, without your body going into the starvation mode. If I were you i would go up to 1500 cals, and then you may not have that issue with the carbs. Im always over on my sugar. There is no way yhat I could only eat like 30grams of sugar/day. With 1500 cals a day, Im sure you would lose that one dress size and even more prob.
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Don't confuse good carbs with bad carbs! Good carbs...think fruits and veggies....bad carbs....crackers, bread, junk food. Don't forget to weight train....muscle boosts metabolism....fat does not!

Okay I think I get it. I eat alot of bran and whole wheat cereal and of course lots of veggies. So I suppose that my carbs are good carbs. I have skipped the bread, rice and pasta for the last week. Thanks.
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue.
    But let me teel you that you can probably eat more then 1200 calories to lose just one dress size in 5 weeks. 1200 calories is the lowest you can go, without your body going into the starvation mode. If I were you i would go up to 1500 cals, and then you may not have that issue with the carbs. Im always over on my sugar. There is no way yhat I could only eat like 30grams of sugar/day. With 1500 cals a day, Im sure you would lose that one dress size and even more prob.

You are probably right. I should up my cals. I'm just super worried because I tried on a size 12 dress today and it fit well so I decided to order a size 10. I just hope that wasn't a mistake. Thanks for your advice.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    the ratios set on the site are very general and aren't necessarily the best for everyone.
    start out with what the site gives you and then play around with it a little bit to see what works best for you. if you have access to any kind of formal nutritionist/dietician/trainer, this is definitely something you want to bring up to them.

as for ratios, the sugar limit does not distinguish between simple and complex. if you are going too high on sugar, look to see what is pushing you over? is it things like milk and fruit? that's not a big deal if you go over. if it comes from things like sweets or other processed foods, then you're going to want to cut down the number.

in terms of carbs, acthendrciks mentioned this but i want to clarify. there are simple carbs and there are complex carbs. simple carbs you don't want. this is stuff like white bread and pasta, refined sugar, etc. complex carbs, your body needs to function. this is anything whole-wheat and whole-grain. You don't need to (and probably shouldn't) cut these out of your diet entirely. because they're whole grain, they're going to be higher in fiber so it will fill you up faster and keep you full longer.

i always think that 1200 calories is too low for anyone, not matter how much weight you have to lose. try to at least eat your bmr (there is a calculator for this on the site). you will still continue to lose at a steady rate, even with the increased calories.

hoped i helped some
    :heart: aisha